ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN

It's comedy central over on NBC tonight too. Our very own bob costas decided to turn halftime into a political commentary. He looked like a clown
I agree with him on gun control but let's be real, that is not the time or place to be preaching. Way out of line Bob.

Not to many guns, to many idiots. Do you say to many cars when someone dies because of one. There are far more deaths a year due to cars then guns in our country.

And that's the point - too many idiots.

Idiots with guns does not bode well - Jovan sounded like an immature, idiot and now we have two dead young people and an orphan. If Jovan had had a squirt gun, we would not be having this conversation.

We need cars to get to work, to get to play, to travel to family, to help the economy.

We need guns to hurt people or to threaten to hurt people - and that's not necessary in my opinion.

Your opinion should never violate the right to bear arms.

You can believe there are too many guns, but that's as far as you can take it, to the end of your sentence. Then Americans will continue to have as many guns as they CHOOSE to have.

You want the truth? We have too many ABORTIONS !!!!

THAT is the truth !!!!
write a song about it

Idiots with guns does not bode well - Jovan sounded like an immature, idiot and now we have two dead young people and an orphan. If Jovan had had a squirt gun, we would not be having this conversation.

We need cars to get to work, to get to play, to travel to family, to help the economy.

We need guns to hurt people or to threaten to hurt people - and that's not necessary in my opinion.

that's one way to frame it. another way is to frame it as protecting one's family from idiot criminals who will have guns no matter what

sports writers aren't very smart.

Here's lupica.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lupica-gun-heinous-crimes-easier-article-1.1212024

"My guess,” Williams said, “is that (Belcher) did not have a concealed-carry permit.”

So Belcher either went to the car and brought the gun into the house he was renting for Kasandra Perkins and their infant daughter.Or the gun was already inside the house when he decided to use it.

Or, Williams ignored the concealed carry permit law. I love Lupica's presumption that a guy who is willing to break the law killing his girlfriend and make any potential punishment moot by killing himself would obey a concealed carry law. dumb dumb dumb

You guys need to do what I do:

1) watch the games only.

2) if it isn't a live game turn off the TV.

Problem solved.

I have news for you, if bad people want to hurt people they will do so with or without guns. We can't ban everything.

Also stricter gun laws only make it harder for people like me to get them. I'm a hunter. Not deterring much crime there

that's one way to frame it. another way is to frame it as protecting one's family from idiot criminals who will have guns no matter what

sports writers aren't very smart.

Here's lupica.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lupica-gun-heinous-crimes-easier-article-1.1212024

"My guess,” Williams said, “is that (Belcher) did not have a concealed-carry permit.”

So Belcher either went to the car and brought the gun into the house he was renting for Kasandra Perkins and their infant daughter.Or the gun was already inside the house when he decided to use it.

Or, Williams ignored the concealed carry permit law. I love Lupica's presumption that a guy who is willing to break the law killing his girlfriend and make any potential punishment moot by killing himself would obey a concealed carry law. dumb dumb dumb

Oh yes, I have heard the "I need the gun to protect my family" response to the issue.

My best friend in Indiana tells me that all the time.

He, by the way, lives in a 7000 square foot home on the Morse Reservoir with two or three boats and a four car garage. There is not a criminal within ten miles of his home.

But, regardless, I don't know a single person who has had to pull a gun to protect himself from a criminal invasion or other attack - and I have lived in Philly for nearly thirty years and was a DA for some of those years.

I do know a few people who were either killed or almost killed by guns.

It seems to me that a lot of crazy people have access to guns and that there is less of a need for guns than many believe or presume.

I also think the NRA has gotten way out of control by rejecting any effort to limit access to firearms.

But it's my opinion - reasonable people can differ on the issue I guess.

I have news for you, if bad people want to hurt people they will do so with or without guns. We can't ban everything.

Also stricter gun laws only make it harder for people like me to get them. I'm a hunter. Not deterring much crime there

Question - Do you hunt with a hand gun?

Oh yes, I have heard the "I need the gun to protect my family" response to the issue.

My best friend in Indiana tells me that all the time.

He, by the way, lives in a 7000 square foot home on the Morse Reservoir with two or three boats and a four car garage. There is not a criminal within ten miles of his home.

But, regardless, I don't know a single person who has had to pull a gun to protect himself from a criminal invasion or other attack - and I have lived in Philly for nearly thirty years and was a DA for some of those years.

I do know a few people who were either killed or almost killed by guns.

It seems to me that a lot of crazy people have access to guns and that there is less of a need for guns than many believe or presume.

I also think the NRA has gotten way out of control by rejecting any effort to limit access to firearms.

But it's my opinion - reasonable people can differ on the issue I guess.

i don't base my opinions based on what has or hasn't happened to people i know or you know

i could tell some good stories if i wanted but it wouldn't make a difference because i felt the same way before any of the sob stories happened and i don't really care that much about stories

Abortions- an act protected by Supreme Court precedent, which can only be overturned by a new Supreme Court decision or an amendment to the Constitution.

You can believe there are too many abortions, but that's as far as you can take it. Then Americans will continue to have as many abortions as they CHOOSE to have.

Sadly, you are correct.

Our Supremely Stupid Court has decided to allow the murder of babies...

If we did away with all the things that there are too many idiots we'd all be staring at walls all day. I get it that guns are dangerous but so are words. I think we could go into a very slippery slope if we were to take away the ownership of guns but you know what? It'll be like prohibition and the rich will be able to have guns through one loophole or another and the guy who follows the law to a T, avid responsible hunter, will be the sucker left out in the cold. Knives will then be taken away, then the internet because of those nasty words. Then, we finally get to be Nazi Germany. Yes, maybe a hyperbole and I don't even own a gun but this for the sake of their own good thing is just getting way too out of hand.

Question - Do you hunt with a hand gun?

No I do not but many people do hunt deer with a pistol.

I am currently working in the Middle East and there are several bombs a day being triggered by cell phones. I guess we should ban cell phones. No, that would be ridicules because there are 100's of other devices that can do the same thing.

Your opinion should never violate the right to bear arms.

You can believe there are too many guns, but that's as far as you can take it, to the end of your sentence. Then Americans will continue to have as many guns as they CHOOSE to have.

You want the truth? We have too many ABORTIONS !!!!

THAT is the truth !!!!
We ought to take this thread to heart and stick to sports.

We ought to take this thread to heart and stick to sports.

Bob drew first blood...

If Mr. Costas wants to make controversial statements, he should be prepared for controversial retorts...

Bob drew first blood...

If Mr. Costas wants to make controversial statements, he should be prepared for controversial retorts...
:blah:

And not taking his own life would have meant one less death.

Sorry but on this one I'm with Bob- too many guns.

You don't need a gun to take your own life. Rope, razor blades, kitchen knives, hell even car exhaust will do the same thing.

Bob drew first blood...

On a football thread? Go OT.

You don't need a gun to take your own life. Rope, razor blades, kitchen knives, hell even car exhaust will do the same thing.
And then we have cancer to get the survivors.:bang:

if i ever were to kill myself, i'd jump off something high on the off chance that I can fly at which point i'd totally change my mind about not wanting to live

I'm surprised so many have missed the point here.

The point Bob (and I believe the NFL) was trying to do here (and it appears were successful) were to get the attention AWAY from the NFL and the connection to possible head trauma (or, maybe, steroid rage?) that caused him to snap.

Regardless of my opinion on gun control, this case has NOTHING to guns anymore than Chris Benoit killing his wife, his own kid, and hanging himself on his home gym had to with gym equipment.

So true.

Thank you.

i don't base my opinions based on what has or hasn't happened to people i know or you know

i could tell some good stories if i wanted but it wouldn't make a difference because i felt the same way before any of the sob stories happened and i don't really care that much about stories

Life is a series of stories.

Thread of the Year!!

This has nothing to do with SU Football but it has been very interesting.

Gauging or assigning political opinions to the various posters is/would be more difficult than I would have thought.

On a football thread? Go OT.

Bob Costas made his assertion on a SPORTS broadcast, therefore this issue is no longer OFF TOPIC.

He dragged it in, let him drag it out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom