ESPNU's Coverage of ACC & BE Media Days a Treasure Trove of | Syracusefan.com

ESPNU's Coverage of ACC & BE Media Days a Treasure Trove of

Townie72

All American
ESPN's coverage of ACC and BE Basketball Media Days are a treasure trove of information on Realignment.

Marinatto said that the $10M exit penalty wouldn't dissuade anyone from exiting. The teams need to have enthusiasm for the new Conference and that's what he hopes will hold them.

Swofford said that ACC is perfectly happy to stay at 14.

Roy Williams and Coach K are sincerely thrilled to have Pittsburgh and SU in the ACC. They think it will be great for the conference. It makes the ACC the best basketball conference. It fills in the geography between Maryland and BC. These two guys believe that there's a good chance the ACC will go to 16. They alluded to this a couple of times.

Even thought else are basketball guys and you'd expect it from them, basketball was ---and will continue to be --- one of the big drivers of this expansion. If you have bought into "Football is driving the bus" as if it was all that was important, you need to rethink that. It's causing you to misunderstand what is going on and what is likely to happen in the future.

Swofford and the BB coaches didn't say this, but based on what they did say, you can see why ND and UConn as a package is so plausible.

Rutgers's pathetic basketball program means they are relegated to whatever Mid-Major Conference they end up in.

Coach K said that he had talked to Boeheim and that JB's take was this move to the ACC is going to help all the SU sports.

Coach K said that he had talked to Boeheim and that JB's take was this move to the ACC is going to help all the SU sports.

Better opponents and name schools (including several important historical opponents who continue to be relevant today), reasonable travel (depending on how we set up the divisions), and a BOATLOAD MORE MONEY. Of course it will help all sports.

Better opponents and name schools (including several important historical opponents who continue to be relevant today), reasonable travel (depending on how we set up the divisions), and a BOATLOAD MORE MONEY. Of course it will help all sports.

And I'd like to see some of our other historical opponents like Georgetown and Villanova fade off into irrelevance.

And I'd like to see some of our other historical opponents like Georgetown and Villanova fade off into irrelevance.

I don't see Georgetown and Villanova fading into irrelevance. They have location, academics, history, and in the case of VU, facilities.

Teams like Providence and Seton Hall are on the edge of a precipice.

Just the opposite for me. I want to see SU face a good G'Town team every year and to face Nova 6 times every ten years.

Don't need to schedule on of the rest of the bb schools.

Cheers,
Neil

We need to play UNC and Duke at least once a year. Hopefully they set up Duke or UNC as our annual BB Rival for home and home.

OOC: We need to approach SJU with a 50/50 seating split at MSG for an annual game. Make it around the Holidays when the students are out.
For Georgetown/Nova: Schedule them each year as a polar opposite: one home and one away. (get a guarantee for a set amount of tix set aside for Cuse fans like 3000).

Approach Louisville, Marquette, Cincy, WVU for a very occasional made for TV game in Jan or Feb. Offer guarantee games to the rest of the dreck like Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, etc...

Try to talk FSU into moving their home game with us to Tampa or Orlando once in awhile...offer VT the same to move a game to DC.

If anything, I see GTown playing a bigger role. Historical Big East rivalry which could open door to action with Maryland...

I don't see Georgetown and Villanova fading into irrelevance. They have location, academics, history, and in the case of VU, facilities.

So did LaSalle and Duquesne.

Their on the road to become the new Atlantic 10.

If anything, I see GTown playing a bigger role. Historical Big East rivalry which could open door to action with Maryland...

Or we could do that when we play Maryland.

We need to play UNC and Duke at least once a year. Hopefully they set up Duke or UNC as our annual BB Rival for home and home.

OOC: We need to approach SJU with a 50/50 seating split at MSG for an annual game. Make it around the Holidays when the students are out.
For Georgetown/Nova: Schedule them each year as a polar opposite: one home and one away. (get a guarantee for a set amount of tix set aside for Cuse fans like 3000).

Approach Louisville, Marquette, Cincy, WVU for a very occasional made for TV game in Jan or Feb. Offer guarantee games to the rest of the dreck like Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, etc...

Try to talk FSU into moving their home game with us to Tampa or Orlando once in awhile...offer VT the same to move a game to DC.

Why would we play the C-USA teams in anything? Those games are in tough gyms with none of our fans. And SJU isn't going to give up seats in their home gym. And for as much as I'd love to shout down the Hokies at Verizon, I don't see them giving up Cassell for that either.

I expect our schedule is gonna look like it always does...a tour of upstate NY, some midmajors, random 2 NYC games, and one big OOC (prolly GTOWN).

When did St Johns ever need 50% of the seats?

...it may be time to move on...there are only so many OCC games a year a team wants to play against equal or better competition. Aside from Mich. St, almost no major is going against 5 or more real good teams prior to conference...could you imagine SU playing Georgetown, Uconn, Vill, and other rated teams prior to the ACC schedule...it would be a grind that may not be worth it...maybe two of those teams every other year...but really, goal is to be in top physical shape come NC drive...lets not kill the goose too quickly

...it may be time to move on...there are only so many OCC games a year a team wants to play against equal or better competition. Aside from Mich. St, almost no major is going against 5 or more real good teams prior to conference...could you imagine SU playing Georgetown, Uconn, Vill, and other rated teams prior to the ACC schedule...it would be a grind that may not be worth it...maybe two of those teams every other year...but really, goal is to be in top physical shape come NC drive...lets not kill the goose too quickly

Tend to agree with this. Time to pass on some of the old Big East rivalries and move onto new ground. I think it will happen naturally over time. The only one I see being maintained is GTown and possibly UConn if they dont get an invite.

If we are held in the Big East for 27 months, I wouldn't schedule any Big East teams for anything and would let them know that now. Hopefully the rest of the ACC will be on board, too. F them. Playing hardball from a disintegrating position of strength is stupid, and I use the term strength loosely. All the Big East has to leverage right now with SU, Pitt and the ACC is a contract that expires in 27 months.

Why would we play the C-USA teams in anything? Those games are in tough gyms with none of our fans. And SJU isn't going to give up seats in their home gym. And for as much as I'd love to shout down the Hokies at Verizon, I don't see them giving up Cassell for that either.

I expect our schedule is gonna look like it always does...a tour of upstate NY, some midmajors, random 2 NYC games, and one big OOC (prolly GTOWN).
sounds about right. nova too.

and ive never had a problem sitting in the Gardend for a Cuse-johnny game.

they can have the whole gate, SU doesnt need it.

I would like to see a MSG 4 team tournament every year. SU & Pitt (or BC) vs UCONN & SJU (each ACC team plays each BE team. A 3 day little tournament with a day of in between.)

If we are held in the Big East for 27 months, I wouldn't schedule any Big East teams for anything and would let them know that now. Hopefully the rest of the ACC will be on board, too. F them. Playing hardball from a disintegrating position of strength is stupid, and I use the term strength loosely. All the Big East has to leverage right now with SU, Pitt and the ACC is a contract that expires in 27 months.

You are both a gentleman and a scholar.

The Boneyard posters are saying Swofford also stated that its either all sports for Notre Dame if they want to join the ACC or they shouldn't think about coming. Good. I can't wait to get away from the hybrid and I don't want to see it following us.

I would like to see a MSG 4 team tournament every year. SU & Pitt (or BC) vs UCONN & SJU (each ACC team plays each BE team. A 3 day little tournament with a day of in between.)

I'd love to see the 3 big ACC basketball schools do that with schools not in the Big East. The ACC needs to stake its claim to New York City - a day long event around Christmas featuring Syracuse, Duke and UNC against schools like Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Florida, etc.

This would be the ultimate irony. The BE was devised to help protect Providence from oblivion, and it will be the incompetent leadership of the "Providence Conference" that ultimately leads to it's demise in the world of college athletics. Providence guys who had the control they needed to protect their school simply screwed the pooch and killed it themselves.

I'm on board with saying the hell with you to all the BE schools if we don't get out for next year. Those schools have the ability to make that HAPPEN. If they don't, I have no interest in us helping Gtown keep their presence known. And we had better not EVER play Providence no matter when we get out.

Normally I'd never expect JB to schedule OOC games against GTown, Nova and St John's on top of the tough ACC schedule. But given that SU recruits the Philly-Baltimore area so heavily and is getting so much talent there over the last 8 years, SU may see the need to schedule an annual game with GTown/Nova to keep that pipeline going.

Tend to agree with this. Time to pass on some of the old Big East rivalries and move onto new ground. I think it will happen naturally over time. The only one I see being maintained is GTown and possibly UConn if they dont get an invite.

I think you will only see three BE rivalries continue: GTown, SJU, and Villanova. GTown will be a rotating home and home every season without a doubt. SJU and Nova will probably alternate every other year. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pre-season tourney at MSG dedicated to old BE rivalry games.

UConn will eventually be in the ACC whether we like it or not. It's inevitable. May not be tomorrow or next month, but as soon as the next domino falls, things will move in that direction. RU will be played up to make ND squirm a bit and agree to come to the table. Coach K will get his 16 teams.

Gotta keep G-Town on a yearly basis. Unless it comes to the point where they drift off into such obscurity that it no longer is much of a rivalry.

Keeping all the old rivalries would be great, but unrealistic, so I could live without Nova.

St. Johns I am torn on. If the new regime can continue to recruit and recreate an annual top-25 team, then I just don't see the room on the schedule to play them anything more than every three years or so, BUT if the coaches decide to jump ship as the conference gets watered down, then I can actually see them back on the schedule every year. Just because it fits our MO of beatable New York opponents, but also brings in the traditional rivalry, and the opportunity to play in MSG.

UConn, I will reserve judgment on them to see where they end up. I'm not even sure if I want them in the same conference or not, let alone regular OOC matchups. Right now, I think I would lean towards no dice. I believe the rivalry is more JB vs Calhoun than Cuse vs Huskies. So unless we end up sharing a conference again, not enough longevity left to worry about.

I think we should play GTown every year in Philly or even AC. Make it an event. I would say play at MSG but I doubt they would agree since it will be 90% SU fans there. If it is in Philly it will only be 75% SU fans. And it will give us a game every year in that city to help keep ties for recruiting. Hell I would even play them in Baltimore. Let each school get 4k and leave 4k to the arena to sell. That way we only have 2/3rds of the crowd. It would look cool having half the arena orange and they other half grey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom