Euro Super League | Syracusefan.com

Euro Super League

A pair of American owners are ruining European soccer.
Arsenal and Liverpool greedy owners.

The sport that needs a super league is college football.

A pair of American owners are ruining European soccer.
Arsenal and Liverpool greedy owners.

The sport that needs a super league is college football.
What was Arsenal even done in recent years to deserve inclusion? Kroenke’s buying his way in.

Interesting- my guess is this ends up on it's face without more clubs from other leagues.
They see the writing on the wall. Only a matter of time before MLS clubs can pay as much for the top talent, if not more.

I love Gary Neville.
He is right screw these American owners ruining European soccer.
Dock them points and make them start their own leagues and watch their fan bases dwindle.

John W. Henry is why I don’t like the Red Sox. His ownership group thinks fans are stupid.

They see the writing on the wall. Only a matter of time before MLS clubs can pay as much for the top talent, if not more.
Sure, if time is a few generations from now. I’m in my mid forties now... I don’t anticipate mls competing with top euro leagues for the best players in my lifetime.

Winning the UCL is the most prestigious club soccer accomplishment in the World. Until the MLS along with other leagues in North and South America can build an equal alternative even throwing more money around isn't going to do the trick alone.

Yeah... not having Bayern and other top German clubs plus PSG seems like a miss. Then again make it 20 permanent add Bayern, Leipzig, Dortmund, PSG, and ???.

Then add the 5 playins.

So far the German teams seem deadset against it.

Sure, if time is a few generations from now. I’m in my mid forties now... I don’t anticipate mls competing with top euro leagues for the best players in my lifetime.

Winning the UCL is the most prestigious club soccer accomplishment in the World. Until the MLS along with other leagues in North and South America can build an equal alternative even throwing more money around isn't going to do the trick alone.
I’ll admit that’s a friend’s take...and he’s been following soccer a lot longer than I have.

Kick them out of domestic leagues then if they do this imo.

And if they don't , that is going to be crazy for the founding clubs to manage between league play, league cups, UCL and Europa.

I’ll admit that’s a friend’s take...and he’s been following soccer a lot longer than I have.

It's been floating around for a few years or even longer tbh. Obviously it would be a dream scenario for the MLS to turn into a destination league.

It's been floating around for a few years or even longer tbh. Obviously it would be a dream scenario for the MLS to turn into a destination league.
Yeah, he’s been saying a Super Euro League needs to happen for awhile now for this reason.

MLS expansion is going like gangbusters and these new cities (like STL) are hungry for it. I think the NFL is going to see a huge drop in popularity sooner than most people think and baseball is just a mess. There will be an opportunity for MLS. Maybe only the NBA will capitalize. I think MLS has at least a better shot than the NHL.

EzVcDUkVcAY1Lbx.jpg
What was Arsenal even done in recent years to deserve inclusion? Kroenke’s buying his way in.
Enos Stan

The issue re: MLS is that the owners don't want to spend money before they reap the benefits of the revenue that spending the money would bring in.

At any rate, this SuperLeague sucks. Basically replaces the Champions League with a worse version of it but the team owners make more money so we get to watch worse soccer for more money. Sweet.

And at least for the moment, the players on these teams are banned from World Cup, which means the US team should suck again. Yay!

I am the biggest MLS fan-boy there is (season ticket holder, travel to other stadiums when my team's not playing for fun, watch half a dozen games per week). This is never going to happen.

I think for MLS, continued success looks like this:

1 - 20-25K butts in the seats each and every game, with one-offs like Atlanta and Seattle playing in NFL stadiums maintaining their current 30-60K attendance.

2 - Stadiums being built within the City limits of New York, Dallas, Boston, and Chicago. All on major public transit lines.

3 - Continued academy investments. Each and every year for the past 5 years or so, we've gotten bigger moves coming out of these MLS academies - Bayern, Dortmund, Gladbach, Schalke/Juventus, RB Leipzig and Salzborg, etc. What we are not necessarily seeing yet are the players just below the Chris Richards, Gio Reynas, etc who are breaking into MLS first-teams now but aren't quite top-level Euro players. These guys will ultimately elevate the league to its next level.

But the issue is it's still such a saturated market. Watching Liverpool, Barca, Roma, whoever on Saturday and Sunday mornings has become part of US sports culture. Unfortunately, MLS are offering Mr. Pib when Euros are offering Dr Pepper in this market.

Their issue will always be how do you convince fans to switch. I think the good thing is that they have a few real advantages in the US sports market though. I think you get a better outdoor fan experience at MLS matches than NFL or MLB games. I love that kick-off to final whistle is under 2 hours which makes it an excellent family outing. And the tickets are generally significantly less expensive than other sports.

The great thing is, we don't need MLS to be the EPL to be excellent on the international stage, we need it to just keep expanding our player pool and getting players to major clubs like its been doing at an accelerated rate over the last few years.

I am the biggest MLS fan-boy there is (season ticket holder, travel to other stadiums when my team's not playing for fun, watch half a dozen games per week). This is never going to happen.

1 - 20-25K butts in the seats each and every game, with one-offs like Atlanta and Seattle playing in NFL stadiums maintaining their current 30-60K attendance.

2 - Stadiums being built within the City limits of New York, Dallas, Boston, and Chicago. All on major public transit lines.

3 - Continued academy investments. Each and every year for the past 5 years or so, we've gotten bigger moves coming out of these MLS academies - Bayern, Dortmund, Gladbach, Schalke/Juventus, RB Leipzig and Salzborg, etc. What we are not necessarily seeing yet are the players just below the Chris Richards, Gio Reynas, etc who are breaking into MLS first-teams now but aren't quite top-level Euro players. These guys will ultimately elevate the league to its next level.

But the issue is it's still such a saturated market. Watching Liverpool, Barca, Roma, whoever on Saturday and Sunday mornings has become part of US sports culture. Unfortunately, MLS are offering Mr. Pib when Euros are offering Dr Pepper in this market.

Their issue will always be how do you convince fans to switch. I think the good thing is that they have a few real advantages in the US sports market though. I think you get a better outdoor fan experience at MLS matches than NFL or MLB games. I love that kick-off to final whistle is under 2 hours which makes it an excellent family outing. And the tickets are generally significantly less expensive than other sports.

The great thing is, we don't need MLS to be the EPL to be excellent on the international stage, we need it to just keep expanding our player pool and getting players to major clubs like its been doing at an accelerated rate over the last few years.
The immediate goal of MLS should be to become better than Liga MX (Mexican league) and becoming the destination league for soccer players in our hemisphere who don't want to go to Europe or are not good enough. Given how poorly MLS teams fare in the concacaf champions league, I think MLS is still at least a decade or so away from overtaking Liga MX.

For those folks who have this fantasy of the MLS overtaking European big leagues in our lifetime, consider that Brazil produces the most elite soccer players per capita in the world and it can be argued that Argentina is in the group right behind them along with Germany, France, Italy. Both Argentina and Brazil have domestic leagues that are over 100 years old, yet they are feeders for European leagues. It's all about the Euros (money not the tournament)... sponsors pay for eyeballs, the top 20 European teams have fan bases in the hundreds of millions and the top 5 in the billions. The only US franchises that come close to those numbers are the Lakers and the Yankees.

I'll be happy if MLS produces the talent that Belgium has churned out the last 10 years. Enough to create a top 10 national team.

if you are kid thinking MLS or NFL run the math.. right now you have 30 teams with 55 players all making decent money and the top guys making huge money.. if soccer becomes the thing you have 30 teams with 20 players making less money.. even if they end up with top guys making big money if NFL falls behind soccer in the US lots of people end up making less money..

and you dont have the following to build from unless you really build up the HS/College programs to get a better fan base that cares.

Our country alone is about the size of all the major(England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France) European countries combined.
That is part of the reason we won’t compete with them in soccer.
Travel is a huge thing in these soccer leagues.
You can get to all EPL home stadiums pretty easily traveling.

DC United fans aren’t going out to Seattle in large numbers.

This Super League is the American owners killing European soccer for their own benefit.

It won’t happen easily. John W. Henry and FSG won the CL and EPL but they haven’t invested as much for their team this year it’s all about profits. The Liverpool fanbase is turning on them fast.
He and Enos are behind this super league.

The issue re: MLS is that the owners don't want to spend money before they reap the benefits of the revenue that spending the money would bring in.

At any rate, this SuperLeague sucks. Basically replaces the Champions League with a worse version of it but the team owners make more money so we get to watch worse soccer for more money. Sweet.

And at least for the moment, the players on these teams are banned from World Cup, which means the US team should suck again. Yay!
The NFL follows a very similar model to the super league and its the most popular league in the US.

I'll admit that this is a money grab pure and simple, but I don't really think the quality of the soccer will change in any way shape or form. The same teams make the last 8 of the Champions League year after year anyways.

The real issue is that the super league destroys the value of the domestic leagues... Finishing in a "European" spot is a really prestigious achievement for most clubs who aren't realistically competing for a league title.

There are no easy answers... kick the super leaguers out and the domestic tv contracts are out the window. Baning the players from playing in the World Cup is going to start a game of chicken that I'm not sure FIFA can win given that clubs pay players not national teams.

It will be fascinating to see how this will play out... that's a LOT of money being offered.

I've been telling friends pretty much the same the last few weeks as it's randomly come up. DC United kinda blows but their games are a blast. There's just nothing quite like a soccer crowd even if the teams aren't great.

Our country alone is about the size of all the major(England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France) European countries combined.
That is part of the reason we won’t compete with them in soccer.
Travel is a huge thing in these soccer leagues.
You can get to all EPL home stadiums pretty easily traveling.

DC United fans aren’t going out to Seattle in large numbers.

This Super League is the American owners killing European soccer for their own benefit.

It won’t happen easily. John W. Henry and FSG won the CL and EPL but they haven’t invested as much for their team this year it’s all about profits. The Liverpool fanbase is turning on them fast.
He and Enos are behind this super league.
I'm not sure about the American owners killing European soccer take... this Super League has been rumored for the past 20 years. This is the top clubs being huge drops in revenue in one hand and being offered billions on the other hand. I think it's a correlation that American owners are more common and not causation.