Euro Super League | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Euro Super League

You would be suprised. The loss of their national teams will be a no go for a lot of them. It’s more important then their club. If they can’t play for country I’ll be you a beer Kane opts out of this “super league” in order to stay as captain of the English national team
As Foo stated earlier, this will start a game of chicken that FIFA probably won’t win.

We were Big East for life until we weren’t.

Kroenke only spends when he has to.

Just as a foreword, I'm not asking the question to be confrontational -- I really just don't care all that much about the rumor mill, etc for about 90% European soccer, Arsenal included, and I know there are Gunner fans on here.

Just looking at Kroenke's teams:

- in the last 10 years, Arsenal is spending commensurate with where they spent the 10 years before he bought (right around no. 15 in the world in net and gross expenditures).
- The Avs have had a lot of success with him.
- The Nugs have been very good to excellent except for one 5 year stretch during his tenure
- The Rams have the normal up and down success that most NFL teams without Belichek have, but they have a Super Bowl, an NFC championship, maybe the best stadium in the NFL, and a pretty damn good roster right now, all while Kroenke was part of the ownership group.

I get he doesn't spend like some other owners (quite frankly, I don't think he has the alternative motives of elevating his families reputation, his nation's reputation, money laundering for Russian Oligarchs, etc...) but I just don't see this as a 'Major League' situation like some make it out to be. It seems like the club is slightly left behind by the influx of owners alluded to above and the lack of a mind like Wenger who really did know how to expertly run a large club from top-to-bottom like few truly could.

What am I missing in all the hate he's getting?

As Foo stated earlier, this will start a game of chicken that FIFA probably won’t win.

We were Big East for life until we weren’t.
Yep... what is the World Cup without the world’s best players? It‘s the Olympics. Without looking, who won the last olympics gold medal in soccer? I have no idea and I watch a ton of soccer... last World Cup winner was France who beat Croatia. England made the 3rd place game.

Yep... what is the World Cup without the world’s best players? It‘s the Olympics. Without looking, who won the last olympics gold medal in soccer? I have no idea and I watch a ton of soccer... last World Cup winner was France who beat Croatia. England made the 3rd place game.

Brazil/Germany! Neymar sealed it. It was a pretty big deal after the 7-1.

Just as a foreword, I'm not asking the question to be confrontational -- I really just don't care all that much about the rumor mill, etc for about 90% European soccer, Arsenal included, and I know there are Gunner fans on here.

Just looking at Kroenke's teams:

- in the last 10 years, Arsenal is spending commensurate with where they spent the 10 years before he bought (right around no. 15 in the world in net and gross expenditures).
- The Avs have had a lot of success with him.
- The Nugs have been very good to excellent except for one 5 year stretch during his tenure
- The Rams have the normal up and down success that most NFL teams without Belichek have, but they have a Super Bowl, an NFC championship, maybe the best stadium in the NFL, and a pretty damn good roster right now, all while Kroenke was part of the ownership group.

I get he doesn't spend like some other owners (quite frankly, I don't think he has the alternative motives of elevating his families reputation, his nation's reputation, money laundering for Russian Oligarchs, etc...) but I just don't see this as a 'Major League' situation like some make it out to be. It seems like the club is slightly left behind by the influx of owners alluded to above and the lack of a mind like Wenger who really did know how to expertly run a large club from top-to-bottom like few truly could.

What am I missing in all the hate he's getting?
I believe the Avs are 14th in payroll right now. They won the Cup the same season Kroenke took over. I guess you can give him credit for that if you want. They made the conference finals the following year and haven’t been back since.

The Nuggets are 17th in payroll. To say they’ve been very good to excellent under Kroenke is an overstatement IMO. They’ve had some strong years, the last few seasons in particular. I’d say they’ve been a run of the mill playoff team more often than not. Aside from the 5-year stretch you mentioned, they were pretty bad before Melo as well.

And that brings us to the Rams. Yes, they won the Super Bowl when he was a minority owner, and Frontierre probably doesn’t acquire Marshall Faulk, Adam Timmerman, and others without his involvement. Once he took over the franchise, however, there’s no better analogy than “Major League” for what he did to that team to get it out of St. Louis and back to Los Angeles...which was nothing but a money grab.

He’s the epitome of the greedy owner. I don’t know of any fan base that is glad to have him other than LA. (Give it time.)

How would we feel if the top 20 college programs decided to form a super league and the cuse was on the outside looking in? Let’s set aside the whole college amateurism and academic part of it. This is basically what the super league is.

Would we watch the college football super league? Would the top recruits ever play outside of that super league? Would sponsors pay up the wazoo for that super league?

As a fan of a historic program I’d be somewhat bummed, but the reality is I’ve long ago given up on cuse football being anything more than .500 program with an occasional 9 win season thrown in. This is exactly what the European Super league folks are betting on.

Good for the Blues.

Shocking the Russian owner is doing right by sport over American owners.
I guess you were right and it is Real Madrid and the American owners pushing this.

It's too bad that LeBron just bought into FSG... I wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp walk over this and I think the Liverpool supporters will try and force them to sell the club.

I guess you were right and it is Real Madrid and the American owners pushing this.

It's too bad that LeBron just bought into FSG... I wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp walk over this and I think the Liverpool supporters will try and force them to sell the club.
That would be good for Liverpool supporters.

I can’t stand FSG.

That would be good for Liverpool supporters.

I can’t stand FSG.
Eh... first EPL title, one 2nd place finish to one of greatest EPL teams in history, one Champions League title, one champions league final, best manager in the world, one of the funnest teams in the world to watch. New main stand and one more coming, completely new training ground.

I'm not complaining, but I don't live in Liverpool.

If they lose Klopp they are toast however... even if they keep Klopp I'm not so sure about his ability to rebuild the team from ground up a second time.

Pathetic... these 12 teams couldn't even stick together for 48 hours much less the decade or so this league called for.

European leagues have serious problems and in my opinion the answer is a hard salary cap like football has, or one w/ luxury tax like the NBA. These elite teams are built in such a way that missing out on the champions league could send the into a financial tailspin. Imagine an NFL team going bankrupt because it missed the playoffs? Europeans are free to crap on the American model of sports leagues, but I'd rather be an NFL club vs a Euro soccer club.

The ironic part is the very same players blasting the proposed super league would also blast any attempt at a salary cap.

Could this all have been a ploy to attack Uefa?
They wanted to keep the money for themselves instead of giving it to UEFA. If Juventus hosts PSG in the Champions League, UEFA gets the biggest chunk of the money. It's their tournament. If those teams played in this Super League, the money would be divided between the two teams in some ratio established by the SL, cutting out UEFA completely and either cutting out or giving a reduced payment to the Italian and French federations as well.

Pathetic... these 12 teams couldn't even stick together for 48 hours much less the decade or so this league called for.

European leagues have serious problems and in my opinion the answer is a hard salary cap like football has, or one w/ luxury tax like the NBA. These elite teams are built in such a way that missing out on the champions league could send the into a financial tailspin. Imagine an NFL team going bankrupt because it missed the playoffs? Europeans are free to crap on the American model of sports leagues, but I'd rather be an NFL club vs a Euro soccer club.

The ironic part is the very same players blasting the proposed super league would also blast any attempt at a salary cap.

I do wonder if a salary cap would help or just turn into a mess. At the end of the day though, it really just boils down to some of these top teams just throwing money around in out of control ways. You can build a good team without having to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to buy players from other teams but most of the people that run the top teams don't have the patience to do it.

Even sweeter that this happened before they lost to Everton.