Even lax has to have a little drama, apparently (the Hayes McGinley thread)... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Even lax has to have a little drama, apparently (the Hayes McGinley thread)...

So, leaving the program for a chance at more playing time is "almost as dumb as punching the girl"? Everybody is entitled to a fresh start, and not everybody can make it at Syracuse. I hope the kid has learned from this (as Desko says), and succeeds wherever he ends up. His "punishment" is not playing for SU. Who knows...he may have made this decision even if he hadn't been involved with this.
We disagree. Facing the music means going through the (student) judicial process, paying his penance and working his way back into his coaches good graces through contrition and hard work .. not cutting and running. Pretending this is just about "PT" is missing the point.

We disagree. Facing the music means going through the (student) judicial process, paying his penance and working his way back into his coaches good graces through contrition and hard work .. not cutting and running. Pretending this is just about "PT" is missing the point.
We do disagree. I don't think it misses the point at all. But neither of us know the whole story.

We do disagree. I don't think it misses the point at all. But neither of us know the whole story.
Well, from the article I read (and the follow-up tweets), the point for me is that this kid is not just the average HS star upset about his PT at a D-1 LAX powerhouse. He's a kid that drank himself silly, punched a girl in the face and got arrested on misdemeanor charges. He had no choice but to face the charges .. which were (apparently) resolved via pleas to lesser offenses. And that's all fine. However, now that he has a choice (to remain at SU and reinstate himself as a member of the team and U community) ... he's bolting. To me, that's not learning a lessen. That's minimizing the consequences and moving out of town.

Well, from the article I read (and the follow-up tweets), the point for me is that this kid is not just the average HS star upset about his PT at a D-1 LAX powerhouse. He's a kid that drank himself silly, punched a girl in the face and got arrested on misdemeanor charges. He had no choice but to face the charges .. which were (apparently) resolved via pleas to lesser offenses. And that's all fine. However, now that he has a choice (to remain at SU and reinstate himself as a member of the team and U community) ... he's bolting. To me, that's not learning a lessen. That's minimizing the consequences and moving out of town.
Maybe his parents thought his environment at SU led to his poor decision-making and thought that he needed to get away from bad influences by starting over somewhere else? I actually don't know why he transferred, but it doesn't actually mean he's doing it to escape any consequences. If he doesn't want to be at SU anymore, why would he stick around? Just to appease other people and get sanctioned by the SU judicial review board?

Maybe his parents thought his environment at SU led to his poor decision-making and thought that he needed to get away from bad influences by starting over somewhere else? I actually don't know why he transferred, but it doesn't actually mean he's doing it to escape any consequences. If he doesn't want to be at SU anymore, why would he stick around? Just to appease other people and get sanctioned by the SU judicial review board?
Why would he stick around to ... [face the consequences of his behavior]? Because that's the right thing to do (IMO). He should show that he's learned from this and wants to be a better person. Maybe you're right about the "influences" .. but those are going to be at the next stop down the line also. If I'm his parent, I'm telling him .. face the music and do what you need to do to reinstate yourself on the team and in your community. My advice would never be ... cut and run. But that's just me. Other people may reach a different conclusion.

Why would he stick around to ... [face the consequences of his behavior]? Because that's the right thing to do (IMO). He should show that he's learned from this and wants to be a better person. Maybe you're right about the "influences" .. but those are going to be at the next stop down the line also. If I'm his parent, I'm telling him .. face the music and do what you need to do to reinstate yourself on the team and in your community. My advice would never be ... cut and run. But that's just me. Other people may reach a different conclusion.

Two other players transferred out of Syracuse during the off season ... and three players transferred in.

It happens.

Two other players transferred out of Syracuse during the off season ... and three players transferred in.

It happens.
Sure there are transfers. But those players weren't facing charges and using transfer to avoid the fall-out from their own mistakes.

Anyway, it's over. Not the way I would have handled it, but best of luck to the kid.

I'll see you tomorrow, hopefully. We'll be there around 4 and will look for you and the guys.

Last edited:
Headed to St Joseph's

Hayes McGinley, Bentleyville, Ohio / University School / Syracuse
McGinley is one of two transfers to arrive on Hawk Hill in time for the spring after spending his first two seasons at Syracuse University, where he saw action in four games last year and redshirted the 2014 season. Entering college, McGinley ranked No. 22 among midfielders and No. 61 overall in the Class of 2013 by Inside Lacrosse. A two-time All-American, three-time All-State selection, and four-time All-Region pick out of The University School, McGinley recorded 259 career points (170G, 89A), including 85 points (52G, 33A) and 123 ground balls as a senior. The Bentleyville, Ohio native earned 2013 Ohio Midfielder of the Year and 2012 Adam S. Hamilton NOSLCA Player of the Year Award honors and participated in the Under Armour Underclass Games and Warrior 40 competition. A four-year varsity letterwinner, two-time team MVP, and two-year team captain, McGinley also earned letters in both football and basketball at The University School.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/wire.php?id=10794

Headed to St Joseph's

Hayes McGinley, Bentleyville, Ohio / University School / Syracuse
McGinley is one of two transfers to arrive on Hawk Hill in time for the spring after spending his first two seasons at Syracuse University, where he saw action in four games last year and redshirted the 2014 season. Entering college, McGinley ranked No. 22 among midfielders and No. 61 overall in the Class of 2013 by Inside Lacrosse. A two-time All-American, three-time All-State selection, and four-time All-Region pick out of The University School, McGinley recorded 259 career points (170G, 89A), including 85 points (52G, 33A) and 123 ground balls as a senior. The Bentleyville, Ohio native earned 2013 Ohio Midfielder of the Year and 2012 Adam S. Hamilton NOSLCA Player of the Year Award honors and participated in the Under Armour Underclass Games and Warrior 40 competition. A four-year varsity letterwinner, two-time team MVP, and two-year team captain, McGinley also earned letters in both football and basketball at The University School.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/wire.php?id=10794
Good luck to him. Hope he's learned something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom