Every Four Years... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Every Four Years...

There’s a difference. He is a quarterback guru. His reputation is highly regarded because of his work with the Mannings. He just had Daniel Jones go as a top 10 pick. It has nothing to do with what he has done with the program. Duke spends no money on football and why would they when basketball carries the torch there.

The have an indoor facility and a dedicated building

Doug Marrone wasn’t run off by the fans.
He got an NFL HC job.

The fans could have been behind Marrone and that wasn’t keeping him from an NFL job.

I wasn’t talking about Marrone, his classes were on par with most of the ones that come thru now. The last person that could truly recruit consistently and win battles with peers and the big boys from time to time was P. Marrone was a hell of a game planner though. I loved him.

You can judge results based on what the first Syracuse team you fell in love with

And don’t talk down to me like your some super fan on here. I’ve been attending games since Moten and McNabb so get off your high horse.

I wasn’t talking about Marrone, his classes were on par with most of the ones that come thru now. The last person that could truly recruit consistently and win battles with peers and the big boys from time to time was P. Marrone was a hell of a game planner though. I loved him.
One thing you know you'll have with Marrone is a decent OL.

So is it a free year for everyone? Can I mail it in at work and tell my boss it's a free year this is the worst disruption since ww2?

Yep. Mental health is no joke. No one is clicking on all cylinders. It’s all good.

And don’t talk down to me like your some super fan on here. I’ve been attending games since Moten and McNabb so get off your high horse.

Same. I got Coleman basketball cards in elementary school. Henninger kid. Sat next to Kueth in the hall of languages. Degrees on my bookshelf.

I’m not talking down to you. You came at me hot so I responded.

Why? For who? The next guy that you’ll all want to fire a few years later, lol?
I do not want to fire him, he simply has done a poor job overall up to now, if you are satisfied with this going forward there is nothing more to say. I see a team that can not do the basics from a coach who promised great improvement by year three, which he delivered in year three, only to regress in years four and five. Not exactly what I expected from that promise. This team is a hot mess and the excuses are just that.
The team is bad playing fundamentals nevermind wins and losses.

I do not want to fire him, he simply has done a poor job overall up to now, if you are satisfied with this going forward there is nothing more to say. I see a team that can not do the basics from a coach who promised great improvement by year three, which he delivered in year three, only to regress in years four and five. Not exactly what I expected from that promise. This team is a hot mess and the excuses are just that.
The team is bad playing fundamentals nevermind wins and losses.

The team is loaded with an inordinate number of injuries, playing a schedule that is WAY harder than it was supposed to due to unprecedented circumstances.

Sometimes things happen.

The team is loaded with an inordinate number of injuries, playing a schedule that is WAY harder than it was supposed to due to unprecedented circumstances.

Sometimes things happen.
It was a tough pill to swallow, worse than those pre-nat purple horse pills they gave my ex-wife during her two pregnancies but I did it. I still have questions, still not happy, still have many negative opinions however one of my longest standing arguments is that Shafer wasn't given a fair shake. Fact is Shafer was doing better in recruiting, Shafer didn't really get much chance to play with his own recruits either, at least not offensively. But no denying that Dungey, Ish, Custis, Erv, Estime, etc were major contributors. Shafer recognized the issues with McF'it and the offense was showing promise under Lester. Shafer had to play with a 4th string QB(whether it was his fault or not is a different discussion) and got fired for it.

Fast forward to this year. I see what a kid like Tucker is doing as a frosh and I'm impressed. I see Dino changing coordinators and then not having the proper time to install their plans. I see his QB go down and he's left with a hold-over from the Shafer era and two true frosh. Attempts to fix the QB depth(Amie) and OL have blown up in his face for numerous reasons. Should these things be fixed by year 5? Maybe at a land-grant state school but maybe not here, idk. I do know that in my gut if I were to find out that Dino was fired this year, it wouldn't feel right. It would feel knee-jerk and based more on emotion than logic.

That being said, no more losses to schools like MTSU or Liberty or blowouts to MDs. At least beat who you are supposed to beat and compete when your are supposed to compete.

It was a tough pill to swallow, worse than those pre-nat purple horse pills they gave my ex-wife during her two pregnancies but I did it. I still have questions, still not happy, still have many negative opinions however one of my longest standing arguments is that Shafer wasn't given a fair shake. Fact is Shafer was doing better in recruiting, Shafer didn't really get much chance to play with his own recruits either, at least not offensively. But no denying that Dungey, Ish, Custis, Erv, Estime, etc were major contributors. Shafer recognized the issues with McF'it and the offense was showing promise under Lester. Shafer had to play with a 4th string QB(whether it was his fault or not is a different discussion) and got fired for it.

Fast forward to this year. I see what a kid like Tucker is doing as a frosh and I'm impressed. I see Dino changing coordinators and then not having the proper time to install their plans. I see his QB go down and he's left with a hold-over from the Shafer era and two true frosh. Attempts to fix the QB depth(Amie) and OL have blown up in his face for numerous reasons. Should these things be fixed by year 5? Maybe at a land-grant state school but maybe not here, idk. I do know that in my gut if I were to find out that Dino was fired this year, it wouldn't feel right. It would feel knee-jerk and based more on emotion than logic.

That being said, no more losses to schools like MTSU or Liberty or blowouts to MDs. At least beat who you are supposed to beat and compete when your are supposed to compete.
Well thought response, I can go along with that. But Dino needs to get this turned around next year.

Sometimes things happen.
Excuses for conditions that every other team has too, we are the ones that look incompetent.

Excuses for conditions that every other team has too, we are the ones that look incompetent.
That's not really true. Not if you think about it rationally.

Show me another team that replaced OC/OLC/DC in the same year, lost their #1 QB, and only have 6 scholarship lineman ready to play. 7 if you count our converted FB. Dino tried to turn Rex into a TE, that should tell you something. Imagine if we had to take Cody Catalina and turn him back into a QB or Andrew Robinson for that matter. I love Rex but he was turned into a TE for a reason, we have two true frosh behind him. Anyone who thinks a true frosh at SU is ready to come in and play behind this line is smoking crack. Not weed, straight up crack. You put any frosh behind this line and you break him mentally forever. So sure all teams are facing some covid stuff, but for many teams it still ends there, our issues are much deeper than covid.

Show me another team that replaced OC/OLC/DC in the same year, lost their #1 QB, and only have 6 scholarship lineman ready to play. 7 if you count our converted FB. Dino tried to turn Rex into a TE, that should tell you something. Imagine if we had to take Cody Catalina and turn him back into a QB or Andrew Robinson for that matter. I love Rex but he was turned into a TE for a reason, we have two true frosh behind him. Anyone who thinks a true frosh at SU is ready to come in and play behind this line is smoking crack. Not weed, straight up crack. You put any frosh behind this line and you break him mentally forever. So sure all teams are facing some covid stuff, but for many teams it still ends there, our issues are much deeper than covid.

Three out of four years with Dino as HC our backup QB was a walk on. In each of those years the walk on (Mahoney 16 and 17, Welch 19) had to play multiple games and finish the season. This year it's a converted TE.

Someone tell me anywhere else that has had to do that.

Head coaches are the ones responsible for everything, to say he is blameless is ignoring the facts. The trajectory of the program is going down not up. I hope he rights the ship, but right now it does not look good. I am not expecting eight wins every year, but I do expect disciplined, competitive and fundamentally sound football. I am not seeing any of those things.
I am not at practices so maybe none of the other QBs are worth a shot, but I remember a guy coming in as a frosh when Shafer was here, out of necessity that did pretty well. If you never play them in game situations, you really are not preparing them for the job.

Dino tried to turn Rex into a TE, that should tell you something. Imagine if we had to take Cody Catalina and turn him back into a QB or Andrew Robinson for that matter. I love Rex but he was turned into a TE for a reason, we have two true frosh behind him.

Rex's request. Kid was 4th string behind Dungey, Devito and Welch in 2018 and wanted to get on the field.

No. That’s why I said “inordinate”. We have more key injuries this year than we or others normally do.

And no, I don’t think everyone made out as poorly as we did with the schedule changes.

Head coaches are the ones responsible for everything, to say he is blameless is ignoring the facts. The trajectory of the program is going down not up. I hope he rights the ship, but right now it does not look good. I am not expecting eight wins every year, but I do expect disciplined, competitive and fundamentally sound football. I am not seeing any of those things.
I am not at practices so maybe none of the other QBs are worth a shot, but I remember a guy coming in as a frosh when Shafer was here, out of necessity that did pretty well. If you never play them in game situations, you really are not preparing them for the job.
I expect those things as well. Thats not what I was arguing. You said that all teams are facing the same adversity this year and that just isn't true. Not all teams were in the middle of replacing both coordinators, the ol coach, and THEN had their #1 QB and #1 defensive player go out with injury. All teams have to deal with covid, all teams weren't already dealing with what we were when covid happened or since the season has started. I get tunnel vision too, don't do it on this one, there's too much happening in the peripheral.

Rex's request. Kid was 4th string behind Dungey, Devito and Welch in 2018 and wanted to get on the field.
Thanks, I forgot about that. Was he back under C last year as Tommy's backup?

Thanks, I forgot about that. Was he back under C last year as Tommy's backup?

Last year, Clayton Welch was backup most of the time but I think Rex got some snaps.

Last year, Clayton Welch was backup most of the time but I think Rex got some snaps.
It wasn't many then, didn't Dino just say the 3's/4's don't get reps?

It wasn't many then, didn't Dino just say the 3's/4's don't get reps?

There's been a lot of injuries and instability recently at QB so that seems like a weird comment from Dino.
I hope the freshman are getting a crash course right now because if Rex gets hurt this season and Dino uses that 'deer in the headlights' quote to describe the freshmen again, people gonna be mad.