Ewing/ Autry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ewing/ Autry

You're starting to make me way too excited.
Nothing to read in between the lines of my post there, but Red is a solid recruiter with good ties to hs’s for this program.

He will undoubtedly have better opportunities to “close” now that Syracuse HC will be the one recruiting on the frontlines and will have the financial backing of AW and others.

We are immediately in a better position recruiting now.

It will be even better if Jim can put his pride aside and endorse Red.

Im also confident Red makes a good staff hire to add to the now vacant seat.

There’s reasons to feel optimistic. We wont be top 25 again over night but this wont be the continuation of older Boeheim’s program that many on this board are fearful of.

We have something to root for again

This is all a crapshoot. If Autry holds onto some guys who may otherwise have left, I am fine giving it a shot. If suddenly we see Jesse, Joe, and Judah all gone...not really sure where the upside is.

Look at how literally every former player is reacting to Autry being named HC.

That is so very important for the health of the program.

I don’t know why some folks can’t understand that.

It's amazing all the big names we turned down!!!

This is all a crapshoot. If Autry holds onto some guys who may otherwise have left, I am fine giving it a shot. If suddenly we see Jesse, Joe, and Judah all gone...not really sure where the upside is.

Not running it back without those guys, AND with a nearly 80 year old HC, who doesn’t recruit or work the portal, woulda been really, really bad.

Speaking of bad, there’s a very apt saying-

If things didn’t end badly, they wouldn’t end at all.

We needed to rip the bandaid off, and we did.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that this was the only way JW could push JAB out the door, this year.

Because he wouldn’t go willingly.

So, the whole Thanks Coach & btw Red is the new guy, effective immediately -
was the only play.

Yup. Path of least resistance to address the albatross.

It's amazing all the big names we turned down!!!
People get so enamored with who's the hot commodity right now.

Two of the best coaches I've ever had the privilege of watching day-to-day -- Terry Francona and Bill Belichick -- were "failures" before they found success.

Currently my Bruins are literally setting a record pace with a formerly disgraced head coach.

Point is, good coaches can come from anywhere and any situation. I don't know if Autry will be successful, but there's certainly no guarantee whatever coach-du-jour that people pined for here would be successful either. Remember when so many people were certain that Dino was a home run who'd have huge success?

We'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, a lot of people who matter are enthused, and that's no small thing.

People get so enamored with who's the hot commodity right now.

Two of the best coaches I've ever had the privilege of watching day-to-day -- Terry Francona and Bill Belichick -- were "failures" before they found success.

Currently my Bruins are literally setting a record pace with a formerly disgraced head coach.

Point is, good coaches can come from anywhere and any situation. I don't know if Autry will be successful, but there's certainly no guarantee whatever coach-du-jour that people pined for here would be successful either.

We'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, a lot of people who matter are enthused, and that's no small thing.
But there are also many more failures who continue to fail. I view it like the star system for Basketball, yeah not every 5 star ends up being a super star, but its a pretty good bet that if you get one, you will be pretty successful. Coaches who are successful tend to successful far more often than failures turn into successes.

Not running it back without those guys, AND with a nearly 80 year old HC, who doesn’t recruit or work the portal, woulda been really, really bad.

Speaking of bad, there’s a very apt saying-

If things didn’t end badly, they wouldn’t end at all.

We needed to rip the bandaid off, and we did.
I agree but I would have gone external

But there are also many more failures who continue to fail. I view it like the star system for Basketball, yeah not every 5 star ends up being a super star, but its a pretty good bet that if you get one, you will be pretty successful. Coaches who are successful tend to successful far more often than failures turn into successes.
That wasn't really my point. It's that the people who are pining for the hot coach of the moment from the SEC or Patriot League are some of the same people who thought Shaka Smart was a home run hire for Texas, etc. Lots of successful coaches flop at another gig. Some don't. It's a crapshoot.

Jason Hart was on campus this fall (as was Greg Paulus). Wonder if / how those conversations went.
Hart was never coming back east. I think he’s got his sights set on the NBA anyway.

Can't envision Paulus was a legitimate candidate. If he was, he shouldn't have been.

For perspective [not directed at you / your comment, just for comparison] I would much rather have Red or GMac.

No - he's not there.

I gather SU believes Red can restore our recruiting / player management. That list that went around yesterday was hopeful.

Not sure how 'formal' it was, but there were conservations with Hart. As indicated above, he has basically zero interest in anything college related. he's on an NBA path clearly.

Red was an assistant recruiting vs Bill Self, Nate Oats, Cal, K, Roy etc etc etc

He had an arm tied against him while recruiting because Jim didn’t have the energy to help.

Give him a chance to see what he can do at the helm and see who he brings in to add to the staff.
Red was limited to recruit guys JB wanted, not necessarily who he wanted. He might have a different insight on who is a better fit, has better potential and be more inclined to listen to recruitment to come to SU. ie, not having a 78 year old coach who may or may not be there next year, only plays zone on occasion, plays a deep bench and has more versified offense.

Every time I see this thread, I think maybe there's a chance he's coming to SU to work under Autry. That would be hilarious and, potentially, quite fruitful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom