(Ex) Players perspective | Syracusefan.com

(Ex) Players perspective

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
This is one ex player, now fans perspective:

In the process of trying to sort through all the available facts on this whole (potential) coaching carousel situation, along with the emotions behind it from a fans perspective with respect to how to weigh loyalty in an amongst the other factors, it caused me to recall many eons ago in the 80's having gone through the same circumstances while a player.

Long story short my alma mater historically struggled with multiple losing seasons until they brought in a then hot shot from low div. 1 to coach at div. 3 Hamilton. Long story short in 3 years we went from the worst to the best beating top nationally ranked teams in the process to become one ourselves.

This got the attention of the coaching community at that time. Our then coach announced his intentions that he was going back to div. 1 now as a HC (ironically his run in coaching would include some time with Chip Kelly on one of the staffs he was on as I remember him telling me to watch out for him), anyway he announced his pending coaching change during the dinner celebrating the banner season.

I recall being supremely angry and pissed upon hearing it initially as to how the guy who preached "team" and "family" as one in the same loyalty to one another being of paramount importance. That anger lasted about 1 day, if that, as you grow up very fast and realize that this is the way it is in all business. Some lines of work may blur the distinction/reality and obscure the fact that it is a business number one, but within it one has to always watch out for what is in yours and your families best interests. Always. Can't hold against anyone their (grand in this case) ambitions.

And in the hypercompetetive world of football and most business, they're (nearly, JB the exception) always looking to move on to the next bigger challenge. That's they type this sport attracts. Now in seeking that capitalistic self interest it will be inevitable that at least some degree of collateral damage WILL occur in the short term to the program you're leaving but this can be minimized and I'm choosing to believe JB's comments on DM and that any collateral damage will be minimized to what ever extent is possible.

My initial reaction on all of this here was also emotional now as a fan including some degree of being initially ticked, but with it dragging out so seemingly long (btw it's really not that long as this is simply the way the process plays out at this level which is why to this point at least I harbor no ill will to SU how they're handling this), I had to dig back into the memory bank and revisit the thoughts from back then to again conclude what bees and others have said.

No way in hell is it right for me (at least at this point should he leave, OR STAY too as this is also the way to leverages ones position to bigger and better things in the current position he's in which as an ending may prove to be a net positive); no way is it appropriate for me to harbor anger. DM's doing what is done by achievers.

Gotta look for the silver linings of what ever scenario ends up playing out, because despite perceived appearances that silver lining may in the long term indeed be gold.

I think everyone needs to start appreciating JB a little more.
he's such a unique anomoly. One thing I may not have noted well is you can still be an "achiever" and stay in one spot. He's clearly the best shining example of this. Quite frankly the JB's of the world may indeed be the happiest concluding that they can get all the challenge they need in life right within the confines of what they're already doing once you reach a certain level in title and money.

Everyone has to do their own figuring of what's right for them. The world of football I've inhabited a long while now suggest that what right for 99.99% of them is always seeking those challenges elsewhere. Its seems inherent in the type who gravitate to the sport. Not sure it's the way to go but it is what it is.

The guy is an icon of the community. If we throw any more respect/admiration his way, some crazy knob from Fulton will build a temple and start a religion around him.....maybe sacrificing a virgin or something crazy like that.

I've been following SU basketball since I was in middle school and I've never ever once in my life thought JB was a bad coach. Even during games where we were up 15 + late in the game and lost, it sucked but I never bashed JB. Games like that happened between my m.s. - h.s. years. Then again, I guess when I was 12 I must have been significantly more mature than some of the posters on the BB board. Which is why I rarely ever even go over and read the thread titles, don't even open that board up except a few times a year.

My personal evaluation of JB is that he's always had talented players but has not always over his total career had really talented teams. His genius for me personally has always been his ability to get a high level of talent out of his players compared to the amount of talent those players actually had. He's taken teams much farther in the season than they should have gone, other coaches would never have sniffed the amount of wins or the tournament with some of the teams JB has coached in the BE conference. He's done this year after year after year.

This is one ex player, now fans perspective:

In the process of trying to sort through all the available facts on this whole (potential) coaching carousel situation, along with the emotions behind it from a fans perspective with respect to how to weigh loyalty in an amongst the other factors, it caused me to recall many eons ago in the 80's having gone through the same circumstances while a player.

Long story short my alma mater historically struggled with multiple losing seasons until they brought in a then hot shot from low div. 1 to coach at div. 3 Hamilton. Long story short in 3 years we went from the worst to the best beating top nationally ranked teams in the process to become one ourselves.

This got the attention of the coaching community at that time. Our then coach announced his intentions that he was going back to div. 1 now as a HC (ironically his run in coaching would include some time with Chip Kelly on one of the staffs he was on as I remember him telling me to watch out for him), anyway he announced his pending coaching change during the dinner celebrating the banner season.

I recall being supremely angry and pissed upon hearing it initially as to how the guy who preached "team" and "family" as one in the same loyalty to one another being of paramount importance. That anger lasted about 1 day, if that, as you grow up very fast and realize that this is the way it is in all business. Some lines of work may blur the distinction/reality and obscure the fact that it is a business number one, but within it one has to always watch out for what is in yours and your families best interests. Always. Can't hold against anyone their (grand in this case) ambitions.

And in the hypercompetetive world of football and most business, they're (nearly, JB the exception) always looking to move on to the next bigger challenge. That's they type this sport attracts. Now in seeking that capitalistic self interest it will be inevitable that at least some degree of collateral damage WILL occur in the short term to the program you're leaving but this can be minimized and I'm choosing to believe JB's comments on DM and that any collateral damage will be minimized to what ever extent is possible.

My initial reaction on all of this here was also emotional now as a fan including some degree of being initially ticked, but with it dragging out so seemingly long (btw it's really not that long as this is simply the way the process plays out at this level which is why to this point at least I harbor no ill will to SU how they're handling this), I had to dig back into the memory bank and revisit the thoughts from back then to again conclude what bees and others have said.

No way in hell is it right for me (at least at this point should he leave, OR STAY too as this is also the way to leverages ones position to bigger and better things in the current position he's in which as an ending may prove to be a net positive); no way is it appropriate for me to harbor anger. DM's doing what is done by achievers.

Gotta look for the silver linings of what ever scenario ends up playing out, because despite perceived appearances that silver lining may in the long term indeed be gold.

I thought this was a post about Marrone and Division I football on the football board, but it turned out to be a Boeheim narrative?

Anyway, as another player turned fan, I think you have done a good job of describing everything that is wrong with college football i.e. it is a business and not a sport anymore... and it has been this way for quite some time. When I played the game, we were not too far removed from leather helmets. We all delude ourselves that these are scholar athletes with businessmen role models. I do not harbor any anger toward Marrone. It is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom