Exotic palates | Syracusefan.com

Exotic palates

Orangezoo

In the wind

Some of the menu items alone raise an eyebrow. Curious if we have any exotic foodies on the board. I will say that brains and oyster caramel are a hard no for me even though I have a pretty open to trying anything mindset and cook a lot too.
I pretend to be a foodie but I’m somewhat hesitant to truly expand my options in restaurants like these. A couple weeks ago in Canada we ate at a great restaurant that offered a seafood pairing of scallops and seal meatloaf. Now I love scallops despite them being the suckers bet every time I order them. $28 for three to four scallops pisses me off but I can’t get enough. But seal meat just seems uncool and verboten.

I pretend to be a foodie but I’m somewhat hesitant to truly expand my options in restaurants like these. A couple weeks ago in Canada we ate at a great restaurant that offered a seafood pairing of scallops and seal meatloaf. Now I love scallops despite them being the suckers bet every time I order them. $28 for three to four scallops pisses me off but I can’t get enough. But seal meat just seems uncool and verboten.

Yeah I would pass on that too along with being 100 pct with you on the scallops- that's ridiculous.

Personally if you have to doctor the hell out of a meat to make it taste edible... it's not meant for consumption unless its all you have to survive on.

Smoking meats to break them down is one thing but some of this crap.. no thank you.

The first time I went to Rome I decided to have some classic Roman food at a restaurant around the corner from our hotel up the hill from the Colosseum. I understood a very limited amount of Italian but was a bit adventurous. Deciding to try something traditional, I ordered the “quinto quarto”. I was a bit surprised when it turned out to be tripe, intestines, brains, etc. because many ancient Roman dishes are based on traditions found in poverty. It wasn’t what I expected (and didn’t particularly care for it), but glad I tried it.

The first time I went to Rome I decided to have some classic Roman food at a restaurant around the corner from our hotel up the hill from the Colosseum. I understood a very limited amount of Italian but was a bit adventurous. Deciding to try something traditional, I ordered the “quinto quarto”. I was a bit surprised when it turned out to be tripe, intestines, brains, etc. because many ancient Roman dishes are based on traditions found in poverty. It wasn’t what I expected (and didn’t particularly care for it), but glad I tried it.
Did not have that in Rome, but did try (my son’s) haggis in Scotland. Not horrible. He loved it. I am a very pedestrian eater, but my kids try anything and everything. (Jellied chicken feet)

I will usually give things a try. Had a whale steak in Iceland before and it was pretty interesting, had a seafood scent but texture was really close to a beef steak. Have had brain tacos in Mexico City, the color alone is off-putting and then the consistency was a 1 or 2 bite and no more of that please.

I'm into the foodie world though and the tasting menu at some of these best restaurants in the world type places is really high on my to-do list. Turn 40 this year and the Mex City F1 race and eating at Pujol on that weekend is what I told my wife I would love to do.

No wonder they’re closing. They don’t even serve Dome Dogs.

Some of the menu items alone raise an eyebrow. Curious if we have any exotic foodies on the board. I will say that brains and oyster caramel are a hard no for me even though I have a pretty open to trying anything mindset and cook a lot too.
I have an open mindset also.

But at $400+ per dinner, my mindset for dinner there is pretty much closed.

I have an open mindset also.

But at $400+ per dinner, my mindset for dinner there is pretty much closed.

Yeah... I have this feeling if you want brains that bad there are cheaper ways...

If you want brains, just head to China. Very cheap (I refused to try them though)