Expansion: Basketball Schools Making out? | Syracusefan.com

Expansion: Basketball Schools Making out?

Janner

Starter
I have been thinking about what the basketball only schools might have to gain in this mess and if this breaking down and rebuilding of the conference could help them in the short term future. Im sure other have some excellent insight into this so if my thought process and the information I have come across is inaccurate which is very possible as most of this information comes off message boards, please feel free to correct me.

The basketball schools will collect an evenly disbursed split of the exit money from the SU, Pitt, TCU, and WV, maybe L'ville if they go (at $5mil each minimum) and pocket that money along with even cuts of the entrance fees (not sure what they are) for any of the other UCF, SMU, Houston, Bosie St, Air Force, Navy and spread that money around. They will also keep a larger share of the NCAA basketball Credit monies (would love to learn more about this as it is not often discussed), again due to there being fewer mouths to feed, which are paid out once every few years? Or so I have read. I have also read that these are pretty sizable dollar amounts in to $20-30M range that are due to the Big East.

If this is the case, and I could be wrong on some of the information I have come across, why not keep this little revenue boon cycle going? The Big East can act as a stepping stone league and once a team with potential builds itself and its market to a point worth taking (ie. UCONN and Rutgers 5 yrs down the road for argument sake to ACC, maybe Bosie st or whoever to Big 12).

With these defections and the $ coming in from all the exit, entrance, and NCAA credits these basketball schools are going to be making 3 to 4 times what they normally do? Eventually, there comes a split, or it reaches a point where it just does not make sense any more and the basketball onlys form their Catholic League. Thoughts?

As a complete aside...I can't wait for Providence and Seton Hall to hike their women's field hockey team to SMU and Houston year after year.

As a complete aside...I can't wait for Providence and Seton Hall to hike their women's field hockey team to SMU and Houston year after year.
Yep. You have to figure they will only be in it for the basketball league and the hopes the revenue stream is big enough to pay for air fare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom