Expert commentator Pauly Sabilia | Syracusefan.com

Expert commentator Pauly Sabilia

Dcuse

All Conference
Claims fans have ZERO effect on a game. Never mind what coaches and players say about how they get energy from the environment. All of that was just talk. There is no need for us to show up,pay money and cheer anymore because it does the team no good. Thank God for the Pauly Sabilias of the world to set us straight. He is brilliant.

Claims fans have ZERO effect on a game. Never mind what coaches and players say about how they get energy from the environment. All of that was just talk. There is no need for us to show up,pay money and cheer anymore because it does the team no good. Thank God for the Pauly Sabilias of the world to set us straight. He is brilliant.

Hey Paulie,

You know who was wildly cheering my superb performance last night?

Your mama.

I would have thought he would say that the fact that Saturday night had the largest crowd on the season and the energy from the students helped them play their best game of the year, but what do I know?

Not going to say they have no effect because that’s ridiculous, but I keep hearing on the show that it’s the reason we won which is also ridiculous.

That said Pauly sounds like he’s gargling on a sack when he talks.

He is correct. Last year saw the fewest fans and the largest home court advantage. Fan attedance helps in important but less obvious ways: revenue and buzz that influences recruits.

He is correct. Last year saw the fewest fans and the largest home court advantage. Fan attedance helps in important but less obvious ways: revenue and buzz that influences recruits.
Then players have been lying for years about drawing inspiration from cheering fans.

I readily acknowledge that it is impossible to measure the "impact" that home fans have on any game. After all, it doesn't matter where the game is being played or how many fans are there -- players need to execute, and they need to perform no matter how favorable / hostile the environment is.

But that said, the notion that fans have "zero effect" on the game is asinine.

Hell, we've seen it when SU has been on the receiving end [like when the GT fans got on Gillon, vociferously chanting "AIRBALL" every time he touched the ball]. It got in his head, and he had a poor outing -- clearly he was affected by it]. We've seen visiting players [like QBs] unable to hear at times, affected by crowd noise -- and had the same thing happen to OUR team when we've been on the road, at various times.

And I've seen times where the crowd is so off-the-hook in the Dome that it clearly affects the opposing team. To say nothing of how the players often seem to feed off the energy of the home crowd, or what opposing coaches have to do to counter the noise / energy in the building ["better get a TO"].

So to say it has "zero effect" is a h0t t@ke, at best.

Not sure but I agree. Another guy I can’t listen to is Danny Schayes. Holy crap dude, get away from the mic, literally all I can hear, even over peoples voices is bud awful breathing and lip licking. It’s disgusting
I don’t mind Paul but that Schayes show is awful. So true on the heavy breathing lol

perhaps in recent years, the crowd has been a non factor in the dome (aside from a game or two), but that's a symptom of the team being unenjoyable to watch. Back when we were good, no one with a straight face would tell you that when the joint was jumping it wasn't a positive. I even remember Andy Katz doing a feature article on how imposing the dome was as a venue.

Who are we to believe ‘ Pauly or our own eyes?’ :) Can’t fool us, over the years we’ve seen it.

The dome after Thompson got thrown out - no way Georgetown was winning that game.

After Kirby Dar Dara’s opening kickoff reverse for a touchdown against Florida and the rockin dome the rest of that game - Steve Spurrier was never to return for any reminder of that infamous thrashing from SU that game.

So many amped crowds over the years that helped push SU’s team to stunning wins over the years. Teams do respond and continue to react to amped up crowds, we‘ve seen it. The energy has been palpable in the dome, no denying, we’ve felt it and hope it returns consistently.

I don’t mind Paul but that Schayes show is awful. So true on the heavy breathing lol
My God are you people from another planet? Dan Schayes is excellent. He’s informative,educated and speaks very well. Paul Sibilia must be good as a producer or whatever he does behind the scenes because there isn’t another reason that exists why this dope has access to a microphone.

My God are you people from another planet? Dan Schayes is excellent. He’s informative,educated and speaks very well. Paul Sibilia must be good as a producer or whatever he does behind the scenes because there isn’t another reason that exists why this dope has access to a microphone.
I like Schayes, but when he’s not speaking it’s very difficult to listen to.

Agreed with Paul.

Honestly had no clue who this guy is? Local shock jock? Sounds like torture listening to him.

Someone care to explain why home court advantage was largest when there were no fans.
Fans react to events. That is not causation. In a favorable blowout fans are loudest. In an unfavorable blowout fans are quietest.
Last seasons stats indicate that homecourt advantage is governed by factors other than attendance.

Last edited:
Someone care to explain why home court advantage was largest when there were no fans.
No facts allowed, can’t let them get in the way of a good feel good story. I await how it’s different in Syracuse.

Fans react to events. That is not causation. In a favorable blowout fans are loudest. In an unfavorable blowout fans are quietest.
Last seasons stats indicate that homecourt advantage is governed by factors other than attendance.

You are talking about a single season for your sample size. You may be right, but statistically one data point makes it impossible to draw any conclusions.

Oh good, the president of the Pauly Sabilia fan club. So when players say the crowd motivates and energizes them,it’s a ploy. They’re just trying to make more money for the university. You sound like you did a lot of research here so I’ll have to re-think my position.

Talk radio is filled with some real idiots. But Paulie is certainly one of the stupidest (and stupidest sounding). He sounds like a toddler with marbles in his mouth trying to talk underwater. How is he on the radio?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom