Explain it to me | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Explain it to me

No one on this board knows who will have success in the nfl as a QB and who will flame out. No one. The pros don’t even know. They’re guessing. Intangibles and luck play a huge role. Getting in the right situation.

That said, I hope McCord rocks out the rest of this season and enjoys a long, successful NFL career.

Did you just post pictures of Tom Brady and Payton Manning in support of an argument for Kyle McCord? Both of whom had much better arm strength than McCord? Okay, again, I’ve stated what I think of McCord. Love him. But, you’re right, I guess he’s just inexplicably vastly underrated. Someone alert the Jets! The next Tom Brady is playing at Syracuse but nobody knows it!

Some of these arguments, I just don’t understand them. Why can’t people expect that their favorite players might have flaws, that’s why they’re not rated number one on every board??

If he’s not being valued on certain lack of athletic traits, what’s your explanation then?

Also, please note, not trying to be snarky. I was originally just giving answers to the OP’s question.
He might just be the next Tom Brady. He has a very good arm and he is a very an accurate passer. I would seat his passing skills are elite , probably the best I’ve ever seen on the college level and better than most NFL QBs. I don’t know what skill set you are watching

Arm strength was not in his weaknesses, Pure athletic ability is on his downside. Vertical , shuttle , ect …… There have been highly successful QBs that aren’t great athletically. You have the Lamar Jackson’s vs the Tom Bradys
I am a lifelong Patriots fan. I watched a lot of Tom Brady games. McCord isn't close to Brady in a bunch of ways, but he does have a bunch of Brady attributes, both good and bad.

McCord moves around in the pocket really well despite being a minus athlete (for an NFL QB) and his reads and anticipation also are reminiscent of Brady.

I'm hesitant to compare him to Brady, as there is only one Brady likely to ever happen. Maybe I should find an NFL journeyman QB that reminds me of Brady and compare McCord to him instead. :p

He might just be the next Tom Brady. He has a very good arm and he is a very an accurate passer. I would seat his passing skills are elite , probably the best I’ve ever seen on the college level and better than most NFL QBs. I don’t know what skill set you are watching

I am a lifelong Patriots fan. I watched a lot of Tom Brady games. McCord isn't close to Brady in a bunch of ways, but he does have a bunch of Brady attributes, both good and bad.

McCord moves around in the pocket really well despite being a minus athlete (for an NFL QB) and his reads and anticipation also are reminiscent of Brady.

I'm hesitant to compare him to Brady, as there is only one Brady likely to ever happen. Maybe I should find an NFL journeyman QB that reminds me of Brady and compare McCord to him instead. :p
A lot of people say he reminds them of Brady. I realize that’s a massive stretch but like you say he has some attributes. He’s a great QB with a lot of poise, can quickly read the defense and get the ball in to very tight windows.

Look, I love him. We’ve been in a QB desert for longer than I care to recall. He’s hands down the best QB we’ve had since McNabb. However, I’d respectfully disagree. Throwing on the run is not his forte. Has he been capable throwing on the run for us this year? Yes, he has, which is, once again, awesome! But, no, it’s not a strength of his. Once more, the question is about NFL draft board ratings, and on that metric, McCord would not be rated highly as a QB who can throw on the run. I don’t want to seem like I’m denigrating the kid because I’m not. These are just simply the reasons why he’s not projected as high at the moment.
And the pro's end up making mistakes all the time with their metrics.
What the metrics will never account for is heart, and the ability to win.
McCord has both and some team is goo g to get a good QB.

YES...lack of mobility...

View attachment 245923View attachment 245926
1000001235.jpg

View attachment 245924View attachment 245925

Fify

He would appear much more athletic if he didn’t wear pajamas under his jersey.
The long sleeve orange he wore at UNLV wasn't even the right shade. It was bothering me the whole game. What is Kyle Fetterly doing?!

A lot of people say he reminds them of Brady. I realize that’s a massive stretch but like you say he has some attributes. He’s a great QB with a lot of poise, can quickly read the defense and get the ball in to very tight windows.
I would compare him more to Manning. He is smarter than Brady was coming out of college.

Watching McCord the other night I thought he he NFL scouts have to love him
1 Gets rid of the ball quick
2 Makes reads instantly
3 Great touch
4 Leader
5 Competitive

Looked at some draft sites and found him as the # 16 QB in one and not in the top 25 in another

What gives
He's probably better at football than a lot of guys ranked ahead of him but you're never going to get past top tier NFL QBs with McCord as your QB. They would rather take a chance on a better athlete with a stronger arm even if he's more likely to be really bad because he has a tiny chance of being really good

He's a sure thing if you're looking for pretty good. But bad and pretty good both get you nowhere, guys keep shooting for the moon in the NFL

Last edited:
He would appear much more athletic if he didn’t wear pajamas under his jersey.
Kidding aside, he needs to get pajamas that fit properly. Those baggy sleeves will be a lot easier for a rusher to grab on to.

Last edited:
The long sleeve orange he wore at UNLV wasn't even the right shade. It was bothering me the whole game. What is Kyle Fetterly doing?!
Kyle plays in my golf league, I’ll ask him. But you have to wait till late April.

Seems to me he can throw a deep ball too. We just don't do it a lot. Had some nice deep balls early in the season.
He throws a very good ball. Short and deep. Has great pocket awareness, really nice movement in the pocket to avoid trouble. Keeps eyes downfield, goes through progressions quickly, throws to spots and throws players open. Arm isn't the strongest, but he can make all of the throws. Smart and cool leader my two cents is he is going to have a very good and long run in the NFL.

6’3” 220. it’s not that .
I looked at a scouting report and weaknesses they mentioned I haven’t seen. One was the deep pass….. I guess we haven’t seen a whole lot of deep balls so perhaps that’s something.
Nassib wasn't very good at deep passes and he got drafted in what the 4th round?

Map Kipers top 10 , Sanders Big 12 then all SEC and Big except for Ward. Seems like bias to me. There are good players that aren’t in the Big or SEC. Annoying
I do not get the sanders love. Feel he holds the ball to long. I think there will be a team that takes him early and regret it. Probably the Panthers.

I'm surprised he's #16. He sometimes likes to try to throw it to the other team and sometimes locks in a guy, especially in the redzone, but he has great tools. I feel like a better running game may keep him from feeling like he needs to take some of those chances. Where was Nassib drafted? McCord has to be drafted higher than him, right?

I think his ceiling is a Purdy or a Cousins type. Probably should go somewhere in the 5th round IMO.

As to Sanders, IMO his ceiling is a Geno Smith type.

OSU destroyed his draft stock by creating a negative narrative around him. They are creating a negative narrative around Ryan Day as well the dude has a 61-9 record at OSU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom