Explain it to me | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Explain it to me

The guy has been a godsend, He has made our games absolutely appointment viewing. Does he sometimes force throws or throw hospital balls? Yes. But accuracy is critical in the pros and he throws an accurate ball. He is certainly better than Bailey Zappe, who the Patriots took in the fourth round. He may be better than Mac Jones, who threw to better receivers in college than he did in New England. He’ll get a shot.

I am a lifelong Patriots fan. I watched a lot of Tom Brady games. McCord isn't close to Brady in a bunch of ways, but he does have a bunch of Brady attributes, both good and bad.

McCord moves around in the pocket really well despite being a minus athlete (for an NFL QB) and his reads and anticipation also are reminiscent of Brady.

I'm hesitant to compare him to Brady, as there is only one Brady likely to ever happen. Maybe I should find an NFL journeyman QB that reminds me of Brady and compare McCord to him instead. :p
How about Todd Philcox?

The one thing I haven’t seen any mention of here: McCord is supposedly a film nut. Just watches tons and tons of game film. Not playing video games or watching tv. That’s huge. The mental part of the game is the difference between having a long career in the NFL or not, and he has that part covered.

One wonders if any NIL deals include a proviso about bowl appearances. I mean, why not?

Nil can’t be tied to playing

Hot take: the current NFL QB model is Pat Mahomes. Highly athletic, mobile QB that can do it all. There’s been a huge push lately to get a QB fitting that mold.

If McCord was playing 20 years ago he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He’s a bit more of an old school QB. But honestly, he could have a great NFL career on the right team.

I never saw him play.
Great arm, prototypical size (in my memory, taller than Donnie), but nowhere near Donnie McPherson in speed and agility. Beat LSU in the ‘89 hall of fame bowl, losing only at Ohio state (who had a new coach after Earl Bruce famously flamed out and had the advantage of us being their first game and thus some game film) and the Major Harris led juggernaut WVU. Hung around the NFL for like 6 years

One wonders if any NIL deals include a proviso about bowl appearances. I mean, why not?
Sadly I don't think that's allowed currently. I'm hoping he'll do it for Fran.

Sadly I don't think that's allowed currently. I'm hoping he'll do it for Fran.
If we make the playoffs, that will keep McCord around.

This is consistent with some of the NFL scouting stuff I have read. McCord is considered to have similar traits to Purdy. When throwing in rhythm on straight drop backs he has enough arm talent. Decision making and accuracy when in rhythm, as we have seen, are strengths. The concerns are his play making ability when the pocket breaks down or when on the move.
He seems to be answering that this season? He’s getting through his reads. Stepping into the pocket. Running when needed. He’s had TD throws on the move.

Watching McCord the other night I thought he he NFL scouts have to love him
1 Gets rid of the ball quick
2 Makes reads instantly
3 Great touch
4 Leader
5 Competitive

Looked at some draft sites and found him as the # 16 QB in one and not in the top 25 in another

What gives
The way he plays blows me away.

He makes great reads, gets rid of the ball and is very accurate.

I never expected what he has shown me this year.

Nassib wasn't very good at deep passes and he got drafted in what the 4th round?
I swear 95% of the deep balls that Nassib threw at SU ended up out of bounds. It drove me insane.

I swear 95% of the deep balls that Nassib threw at SU ended up out of bounds. It drove me insane.
Lol exactly. The only one I remember he completed was the one he threw in the first Empire Bowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom