Explain it to me | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Explain it to me

Arm strength and lack of mobility. Many of the throws he completes in college are picks in the NFL and he can’t escape or throw on the run exceptionally well. Again, he can seemingly get by adequately in college but would be a dead man running in the pros.

He is a VERY good college QB. We are extremely lucky to have him and to watch him play. It is a pleasure. Without him we aren’t winning many games this year. He makes great throws with anticipation and many that could be called NFL throws. And, I could see him hanging on in the pros, he’s just not the elite arm and athletic talent they look for.
Lack of mobility continued...

Dan Marino - General - Pitt Panthers #H2P
Ben Roethlisberger - Wikipedia
Nick Foles announces retirement from NFL after 11 seasons ...

He doesn’t have a poor arm, but he doesn’t have an exceptional arm. What’s being discussed is why he’s not higher on NFL boards. He makes some exceptional throws because he’s on time and in rhythm, which is great, but not because he can just fling it. Again, great college QB with potential for the NFL. But if the question is why isn’t he more highly rated, it’s because of athleticism and arm strength.
This is consistent with some of the NFL scouting stuff I have read. McCord is considered to have similar traits to Purdy. When throwing in rhythm on straight drop backs he has enough arm talent. Decision making and accuracy when in rhythm, as we have seen, are strengths. The concerns are his play making ability when the pocket breaks down or when on the move.

Look, I love him. We’ve been in a QB desert for longer than I care to recall. He’s hands down the best QB we’ve had since McNabb. However, I’d respectfully disagree. Throwing on the run is not his forte. Has he been capable throwing on the run for us this year? Yes, he has, which is, once again, awesome! But, no, it’s not a strength of his. Once more, the question is about NFL draft board ratings, and on that metric, McCord would not be rated highly as a QB who can throw on the run. I don’t want to seem like I’m denigrating the kid because I’m not. These are just simply the reasons why he’s not projected as high at the moment.
All im saying, is that he has done it well when he has needed to this season. He had a couple in the last few games that were NFL level throws, and were noted so by the commentators. We have a 6 game sample size with him at Syracuse, and he has been good on the run the whole time here. Players improve every season.

Did you just post pictures of Tom Brady and Payton Manning in support of an argument for Kyle McCord? Both of whom had much better arm strength than McCord? Okay, again, I’ve stated what I think of McCord. Love him. But, you’re right, I guess he’s just inexplicably vastly underrated. Someone alert the Jets! The next Tom Brady is playing at Syracuse but nobody knows it!

Some of these arguments, I just don’t understand them. Why can’t people expect that their favorite players might have flaws, that’s why they’re not rated number one on every board??

If he’s not being valued on certain lack of athletic traits, what’s your explanation then?

Also, please note, not trying to be snarky. I was originally just giving answers to the OP’s question.

Map Kipers top 10 , Sanders Big 12 then all SEC and Big except for Ward. Seems like bias to me. There are good players that aren’t in the Big or SEC. Annoying

All im saying, is that he has done it well when he has needed to this season. He had a couple in the last few games that were NFL level throws, and were noted so by the commentators. We have a 6 game sample size with him at Syracuse, and he has been good on the run the whole time here. Players improve every season.
Fair. He has been great for us. I’m happy as can be. Was just critiquing his NFL rating. That’s all.

Comparing throws made in an NFL game to those made in a college game is silly. You're implying McCord makes those passes if you swapped him in in those exact moments.
I can't see why he wouldn't be able to.

Did you just post pictures of Tom Brady and Payton Manning in support of an argument for Kyle McCord? Both of whom had much better arm strength than McCord? Okay, again, I’ve stated what I think of McCord. Love him. But, you’re right, I guess he’s just inexplicably vastly underrated. Someone alert the Jets! The next Tom Brady is playing at Syracuse but nobody knows it!

Some of these arguments, I just don’t understand them. Why can’t people expect that their favorite players might have flaws, that’s why they’re not rated number one on every board??

If he’s not being valued on certain lack of athletic traits, what’s your explanation then?

Also, please note, not trying to be snarky. I was originally just giving answers to the OP’s question.
Mccord isn't even my 3rd favorite qb at Syracuse. And yes, I did post pictures of some of the nfl's most immobile players in response to your opinion that McCord isn't mobile. Not a hard concept.

Mccord should be #6 on that list. Sanders makes me laugh. He is such a dumpster fire of a human being. I guess that doesn't stop NFL teams from going for it though ( Deshaun Watson 2.0 )
Sanders has the stuff that measures well. Whether it works out well in the pros time will tell

So stats don't matter? lol
I can throw a great 20 yds pass.. I cant throw a great 40 yd pass. most of our 20 yd throws seem routes which he is good at throwing. He threw a nice back shoulder fade type to Hatcher last week.,

Have we even had more than 1-2 over the top throws to open guys all year to even attempt? NC st must have 3-4 deep throws that were open and missed them. We dont even get tries.

I can't see why he wouldn't be able to.
I mean... I guess. Maybe he can. Probably can. Issue is trying to compare what he is doing right now vs what current NFL starters did or did not do. And as expected, we usually overrate our players. It's how it works.

For SU this year, he's been absolutely the MVP.

I can throw a great 20 yds pass.. I cant throw a great 40 yd pass. most of our 20 yd throws seem routes which he is good at throwing. He threw a nice back shoulder fade type to Hatcher last week.,

Have we even had more than 1-2 over the top throws to open guys all year to even attempt? NC st must have 3-4 deep throws that were open and missed them. We dont even get tries.
He has thrown a few perfect long balls this year. One was close to an 80 yard td that ( surprise surprise ) was taken back because of a penalty. I have zero complaints with his long ball.

I mean... I guess. Maybe he can. Probably can. Issue is trying to compare what he is doing right now vs what current NFL starters did or did not do. And as expected, we usually overrate our players. It's how it works.

For SU this year, he's been absolutely the MVP.
How is Sanders so hyped then? He hasn't thrown a pass In the NFL either. I don't understand.

The long ball called back was really just a simple pass where the D fell down wasnt it?

Not saying he cant throw a long ball, but we get so many open looks we never can really tell.
It requires more blocking and better speed by the wr as well.

Tom Brady wasn't all that thought of coming out of college. The comp would be when Brady was at Mich not when he was in the pros. He got taken out of the game both times when Mich played the Orange. And please, I am not saying that McCord will be another Brady. Just that the comp should be done when they were both sr's in college. There was a reason that Brady went in the 6th round.

If he isn't a top 100 pick, at the very least, idk what is. I think he's a first rounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom