Exposed | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Exposed

We also seem to cave as soon as someone punches us. We are and have been a soft team for quite a while.
Don't know about that.
The team showed heart against Colgate and BC...coming back from bad or worrisome situations.

The issue seems to be not getting top level talent and continuing the pattern of not having solid players at center so that they have to put a power forward in the position.
If this team had a legit post player and Brown at power forward things might be a lot different.

One thing that continues to bother is how our players don’t seem to improve skillsets. Who is the last player that dramatically improved year over year? This is a big problem. Rebounding is one thing but our guys lack basic skills on the court….most noticeably shooting but
Also dribbling and passing. And I don’t think any returner is “better” since last year. That’s scary

And the guys playing out of position MUST end. It’s a joke

Many have commented that we're an incomplete team. Very true, how about Notre Dame as one example? New coach, terrible roster and horrible start to the season. They have improved and been much more competitive lately against very good teams. We have shown no offensive improvement against quality teams or really in general.

I’d still rather Maliq start than McLeod.
Same, but it took an injury to get to this point. I’ve been perplexed at some of the rotation & minutes distribution. Doesn’t mean Red doesn’t have reasons - I just don’t know them and can’t really intuit them.

One thing that continues to bother is how our players don’t seem to improve skillsets. Who is the last player that dramatically improved year over year? This is a big problem. Rebounding is one thing but our guys lack basic skills on the court….most noticeably shooting but
Also dribbling and passing. And I don’t think any returner is “better” since last year. That’s scary

And the guys playing out of position MUST end. It’s a joke
Maliq is most certainly better than he was last year. And I know he was hated here, but Joe improved a lot too.

Many have commented that we're an incomplete team. Very true, how about Notre Dame as one example? New coach, terrible roster and horrible start to the season. They have improved and been much more competitive lately against very good teams. We have shown no offensive improvement against quality teams or really in general.
Shrewsburry is a better coach than Red though, former Purdue/Celtics assistant and Penn St Head Coach. He just has one of the least talented rosters in HM hoops.

I thought this thread was about the Cowboys when I saw the title.

What skills did either improve tho?
Jesse was another that got better here. He was unplayable when he first got here. He improved at everything. So has Maliq this year. Joe got better at shooting and passing by the end. The reason we look so disjointed on offense is we have a pg who refuses to pass and 2/3’s who cannot hit water from a boat.

Copelands improved. He couldn’t score at all last year. It wasn’t a coincidence we looked the best we did all year with him playing the point exclusively the first 5 minutes against BC.

Benny Obviously hasn’t got better, but I think a lot of that is on him. I don’t think he likes basketball that much.

JJ has been a disaster, but he was at Notre Dame too last year.

I seldom get to see a game but Saturday was televised in Toronto and it was sooo frustrating to watch. Here's my observations:

1. Judah is NOT an NBA first rounder. He's one dimensional and doesn't play D or get back quickly. He's not learning much from last year.
2. Benny should NEVER take a jump shot until he improves the trajectory. Why isn't he coached to do that? Otherwise, why bother shooting when it's almost a guaranteed miss.
3. Maliq seems like he's getting frustrated with the rest of the team.
4. Play Carey a bit...can't be any worse than the others.
5. Q and JJ have some talent...but they need to play to their strengths. JJ can hit the 15 footer and Q can get to the hoop but forget much else on offence.
6. Taylor is a 9th man...he's too slow for this level and has "heavy" legs.
7. Coaching is a question mark as the team didn't seem very motivated at all. Thought they would come out smoking in the 2nd half...and they did for maybe a minute.
8. This year is almost certainly a dud...and they desperately need a pg who can distribute and a center who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Sorry to be so negative but that was such a terrible performance.

I seldom get to see a game but Saturday was televised in Toronto and it was sooo frustrating to watch. Here's my observations:

1. Judah is NOT an NBA first rounder. He's one dimensional and doesn't play D or get back quickly. He's not learning much from last year.
2. Benny should NEVER take a jump shot until he improves the trajectory. Why isn't he coached to do that? Otherwise, why bother shooting when it's almost a guaranteed miss.
3. Maliq seems like he's getting frustrated with the rest of the team.
4. Play Carey a bit...can't be any worse than the others.
5. Q and JJ have some talent...but they need to play to their strengths. JJ can hit the 15 footer and Q can get to the hoop but forget much else on offence.
6. Taylor is a 9th man...he's too slow for this level and has "heavy" legs.
7. Coaching is a question mark as the team didn't seem very motivated at all. Thought they would come out smoking in the 2nd half...and they did for maybe a minute.
8. This year is almost certainly a dud...and they desperately need a pg who can distribute and a center who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Sorry to be so negative but that was such a terrible performance.

JT is not quick but looked slower than normal. I was wondering if he was sick.
I agree, play Carey more. At least he moves to the ball quicker than McLeod ever did. Maybe play him with Maliq and see what happens.

What skills did either improve tho?

I would say that last year he 100% had to get his points off of garbage and hustle buckets / being in the right place at the right time.

This year they can actually throw the ball to him or put him in more action where he can fundamentally make some simple offensive moves.

He also is using his body better guarding bigger guys like against BC. Ya, he isn’t ever going to be able to man up Bacot one on one, but his ability to stand firm against other bigs trying to get on the block has been good.

Now, maybe that is just bc Maliq puts in hard work on his own and is a super smart player, but he’s gone up a level.

If we are going to flip out about getting blown out by a top 10 team on the road we should get Red credit for getting the team to respond and getting contributions from everyone. A lot of people here thought we were dead men walking.

If we are going to flip out about getting blown out by a top 10 team on the road we should get Red credit for getting the team to respond and getting contributions from everyone. A lot of people here thought we were dead men walking.
Fair enough, I want to give Red congrats on his first road acc win. However, I have to disagree with Paulie Scibilia on Orange Nation who says if you win tonight, it's doesnt matter how bad Saturday was. He's wrong because UNC was a measuring stick game to see how close we are to the top of the league. Today is a good road win but outside of SU not many will really take notice. And results like Saturday show we still have too far to go for a program with this history and resources.

Fair enough, I want to give Red congrats on his first road acc win. However, I have to disagree with Paulie Scibilia on Orange Nation who says if you win tonight, it's doesnt matter how bad Saturday was. He's wrong because UNC was a measuring stick game to see how close we are to the top of the league. Today is a good road win but outside of SU not many will really take notice. And results like Saturday show we still have too far to go for a program with this history and resources.
Nobody outside of SU will remember a Saturday game in January either.

Nobody outside of SU will remember a Saturday game in January either.
My UNC loving friend Devin will

And yes, he grew up there and his parents still live there

Apples and Oranges. Hurley had a lot of success as a head coach before UCONN. He also was very close to making the tourney during the pandemic year.
Archie Miller had a lot of success as a head coach at Dayton before taking over Indiana. More success than Hurley had had at Rhode Island. You never know how these coaching hires will go.

Having been super busy and kind of awol on the board of late it’s been interesting reading the takes as the season has unfolded. We have the strongest non conference slate in a long time in terms of results, a team that’s incomplete due to injury which probably doesn’t change by year end and are sitting at 12-5 with no bad losses. We are extremely young as a team as well with no doubt attrition coming given struggles of some guys and pro aspirations of other(s).

With the upcoming stretch of games lacking the level of opponent that has given us trouble (away from the dome specifically) it’s reasonable we could be sitting at 17-5, with still an overall strength of schedule far better than previous years.

If we get there honestly that 17-5 is quantity without a truly elite win but I expect because of the number on paper some will be happier despite it being the same pattern of performance year to date.

With new coaches trying to turn things around the big wins against top programs are a pretty typical place to struggle and fail.

As long as we continue to improve defensively against better talent and schemes and get more experience and offensive talent via our recruiting and portal our trajectory is positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom