Class of 2019 - F/C Nate Sestina / Grad Transfer from Bucknell to Kentucky | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 F/C Nate Sestina / Grad Transfer from Bucknell to Kentucky

What? No, Smits is a much better fit. Smits is a true center from a D1 school.

This guy is a forward from the low level Patriot league.
SU has a lot of forwards better than him - OB/Eli/QG/Marek. SU needs a legitimate center - like Smits.

Is this a sarcastic post? Bucknell plays equal or tougher competition than Valparaiso where Smits plays. Smits literally had two games against top 100 RPI teams this year. Sestina had 8.

What? No, Smits is a much better fit. Smits is a true center from a D1 school.

This guy is a forward from the low level Patriot league. SU has a lot of forwards better than him - OB/Eli/QG/Marek. SU needs a legitimate center - like Smits.

None of those guys have the post moves this guy does. I am a little worried he isn't athletic enough for the ACC.

Great body control around the basket though.

in an ideal situation, we would add two centers, one from each of these two groups:

sestina/smitts/carrigan

or

stewart/edwards

bring in some upperclassman experience to start right away while also adding a project/younger big to develop

seems like a pipe dream, however

I bet we bring Edwards in...just a gut feeling. I'm good with that but would still love to go after one of these seasoned vets for a year.

Sometimes I wonder what people are looking at. He may be undersized, but he knows how to seal, create space and use his feet in the post.

Is this a sarcastic post? Bucknell plays equal or tougher competition than Valparaiso where Smits plays. Smits literally had two games against top 100 RPI teams this year. Sestina had 8.
Are you seriously comparing the Patriot league to the ACC? I said it was a low level league I didn't say anything about other leagues.

Smits looks legitimately tall to me, this guy does not. Smits looks like a 5, this guy does not. The original poster I responded to said he thought Sestina might be a better fit here, I disagree.

Are you seriously comparing the Patriot league to the ACC? I said it was a low level league I didn't say anything about other leagues.

Smits looks legitimately tall to me, this guy does not. Smits looks like a 5, this guy does not. The original poster I responded to said he thought Sestina might be a better fit here, I disagree.

Obviously the ACC is different. My point is that Sestina has played the 5 against tougher competition than Smits and been just as, if not more successful.

As far as transitioning to the ACC, no doubt it might be a tough adjustment for him. But on the flipside, he's certainly more likely to hold up as a center in the ACC than Dolezaj for example who has played a fair share of minutes there this season. I suspect Sestina would likely be a better fit than Sidibe as well, who appears to be our most likely starting option right now.

If Sestina's height is legit 6'9", he'd basically be a beefier version of Tyler Lydon, who also had a relatively short wingspan for his height (though I agree Sestina's probably looks shorter).

Hard to see this kid at 6-9 moving the needle (might as well just stick with JBA). A seven footer, OTOH, with enough experience to anchor the zone and provide some offense, changes the team. Smits will have to adjust - as will any GT. What makes him a better option than this recruit is that that he can fill the Quarry-sized hole that Chukwu's going to leave in the zone.

Last edited:
Sidibe is not the answer... I'm game for anyone at this point..

I feel pretty strongly that he would fit great on our team because if you look at his name quick it looks like siesta.