Class of 2015 - F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse

This is going to be a lot:

ESPN/Finklestein

Junior Tyler Lydon (Pine Plains, N.Y./New Hampton) made an early verbal commitment to Syracuse on Thursday night, giving the Orange a jump start on their 2015 recruiting class.

The 6-foot-8 forward turned in a series of big performances during the summer evaluation period, first starring at the Reebok Breakout Classic and then picking up a plethora of offers thanks to his performance with the New England Playaz in Las Vegas.

Pos RkStarsGradeHometown
81Pine Plains, NY
Why he committed: While the timing of Lydon's announcement might seem early, the reality was that he already had earned his choice of high-major programs, with offers having come in from various national championship winners. The bottom line here is that Syracuse is almost impossible to beat for kids who grow up in upstate New York, and that's something we've seen time and time again in recent years with the likes of Brandon Triche, DaJuan Coleman, Chinonso Obokoh and others.

What he brings: Here's the most important part -- Lydon is just scratching the surface of his potential and was trending up as rapidly as almost any 2015 prospect on the East Coast. He's already a long and rangy athlete, but he actually might still be growing and certainly isn't anywhere close to maxing out his frame yet. He's very skilled on the perimeter, already capable of knocking down 3s and pull-ups alike and also a threat to score over smaller defenders from the mid-range area and in. He has a high basketball IQ and is a very good passer from either forward position. He's mobile for his size with a very active floor game that allows him to get his hands on a lot of balls, both defensively and coming off the glass.

How he fits: He fits the Syracuse prototype as the type of long, mobile athlete who will be ideally suited to play the wing in the 2-3 zone. Like most of Syracuse's forwards, he'll have no problem flourishing in transition, but he'll also offer some added offensive flexibility, especially when they're forced to play in the half-court, because of his skill, IQ and ability to create mismatches. Because the zone doesn't differentiate between the forward positions on each wing, Lydon is likely to be matched up against opposing three-men on most nights, making him a virtually impossible cover. Finally, because he projects as someone who will be capable of playing right away, he offers a terrific back-up plan should incoming ESPN 100 PF Chris McCullough pursue a one-and-done track, as some suspect.

How the class is shaping up: He's the first piece of the 2015 class, but his commitment sets a strong precedent given how strong his reputation was in the northeast region following the month of July. Furthermore, this is not only an example of Syracuse continuing to dominate its backyard in upstate New York, but it's also the second time in as many years the Orange have been able to make a major early score, after landing McCullough in his junior season last spring.

Who he reminds us of: He's a cross between guys like Troy Murphy, Ryan Anderson, and Rashard Lewis. Physically and offensively he might be best described as a blend of Anderson and Lewis, because of his skill set and still budding physical tools, but his developing toughness, ability to rebound the ball and willingness to cause match-up problems can all be reminiscent of the way in which Murphy used to operate.

Last edited:
Watching tape of both of them, Jones might be a "slightly" better athlete, but Lydon is bigger, has a better handle and a much better shooter with great range. I'm not sure where Jones would play. He's got great potential, but you can never have enough guys who can shoot it from deep and he also shows some mid-range game. SU didn't hesitate offering him or accepting. He must have been great at the Elite Camp.
I agree as well. While Jones is a great athlete, if I had to choose the shooter with a variety of skills or the athletic freak? I'm rolling with the shooter with skills every time. We'll have plenty of players that can catch alley-oops and throw down an occasionally nasty tip slam. Getting a guy like this who can break a game open with his shot like we saw with Southy/Rautins is a must on every team imho. Now lets close on Bryant and Diagne.:)

I agree as well. While Jones is a great athlete, if I had to choose the shooter with a variety of skills or the athletic freak? I'm rolling with the shooter with skills every time. We'll have plenty of players that can catch alley-oops and throw down an occasionally nasty tip slam. Getting a guy like this who can break a game open with his shot like we saw with Southy/Rautins is a must on every team imho. Now lets close on Bryant and Diagne.:)
I love Jones' athleticism but as always I trust the staff, and you too of course, Francis.

Say it ain't so!
Personally he would be more of a luxury than need. Doesn't offer much versatility in our system. Measured out at 6'6 over the summer and is limited as only a SF. Lydon at least could possibly play positions 2-4, Bryant 3-4, and Diagne 4-5. I think the Zona offer has really intrigued Team Jones. Which made them pump the breaks on committing early from originally planned.

All in all, Lydin will be a better college player than Jones. How about Chandler Parsons as a comparison?
I was thinking more like a Ryan Kelly from outside. Obviously Lydon looks more like a parsons type athletically with all those tip dunks in his highlight film, but couldn't stop thinking Kelly on his outside shot.

Especially seeing how our offense has run the last few years when we have had a threat to spread the floor versus when we have not.

When we have space, our offense can really flourish. When we don't, it can get a little ugly.

Personally he would be more of a luxury than need. Doesn't offer much versatility in our system. Measured out at 6'6 over the summer and is limited as only a SF. Lydon at least could possibly play positions 2-4, Bryant 3-4, and Diagne 4-5. I think the Zona offer has really intrigued Team Jones. Which made them pump the breaks on committing early from originally planned.

Francis, does this close the door on Donte?