Fab Melo to miss Tournament | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Fab Melo to miss Tournament

agreed. there is literally nothing to lose.
We should definitely go small against Asheville. Even our small line-up will be bigger than them. No reason to play a power game anyway - since Fab could not play in the post anyway. Go 3 guard offense with Kjo and Fair on the wings. Work the perimeter and attack the basket from all angles. We have as much talent at guard as the Nova teams from 2-3 years ago.

Let's step back and be honest here: this is 100% on Fab Melo. He can have all the support he needs, but if he just doesn't care, it makes ZERO difference. You can't force a kid to give a ****.

This particular issue is on Fab, and no one else.

Yes, it's fully Fab's responsibility. But the folks running the program are the ones who allow him to be part of it. Is this academic problem new? Were there indications that Fab was anti-school last year? If so, it's pretty easy -- if not obligatory -- for the coach to sit him down last June and say something along the lines of "Fab, are you prepared to attend and pass all your classes for two more semesters? If not, we're happy to release you from your scholarship so you don't find yourself in the position of letting down 15 teammates sometime next winter."

We don't know precisely what the issue is yet.
Blame right now is irrelevant.
The question is what do we do going forward.

Gottlieb makes a good point...we can't sit back in the 2-3 against strong rebounding teams.
I don't know how much his suggestion to press will help because who's going to be back protecting the rim?
But Boeheim has to devise something different.

I suppose there's no way to give DeJaun Coleman early admission????

Kinda wish he was ruled ineligible way back when he was suspended so we could have got time to prepare. But now we have to start the tourney after finding out the news and we remember how that went @ ND. Hopefully this doesn't get the players down and the come out confident or we can be in trouble from Game #1

Just a guess, no source...Maybe when Melo was granted eligibility after the three games missed, could NCAA have said we'll grant you temporary eligibility but you have to meet conditions XYZ and we will revisit this issue in March? Just curious if even possible?

:bat:What...what gives with the NCAA revisiting the situation and changing their mind again...someting must have been said by someone to get them back in...any one want tickets to NO?

I can't even phathom how bad his grades/attendance were to have this happen. So many awful students have been pushed through on the hill before. I can't believe this is happening.

:bat:What...what gives with the NCAA revisiting the situation and changing their mind again...someting must have been said by someone to get them back in...any one want tickets to NO?

Its possible. But what gets me is the NCAA is so anal about issues like this that if they were 1000% sure he was eligible why would the reinstate him in the first place? This almost seems to me like its COLLATERAL DAMAGE for the failed drug test issue. NCAA cant really do anything about the drug testing since its not mandatory so they use this as an excuse to suspend melo!

Man, I really hope we can get Nerlens next season. This is ridiculous, they are paying for your education and all you have to do is pass. What an absolute idiot.

This makes me ever more wary of Noel, after reading that Thamel article. The last thing we need is a one year guy who may be at risk for causing us lots more issues.

Not even disappointed. Could only laugh a pathetic feeble laugh when I saw it on the crawl.

This is absurd, and JB deserves to take major heat for this. It's embarassing.

Sweet 16 is the target now.

We beat WVU without Melo, we can beat KSU without him too. Elite 8 is probably the best we can do without the region having some nice upsets work out for us.

Someone needs to explain to me how/why the NCAA decided to revisit this and change their minds. Unbelievable.

I know no one has any reason to believe me, but a lawyer friend of mine has connections inside the athletic dept. He was told the class was...fencing! It wasn't an issue of not showing up. It was an effort issue. Coaches tried to have the grade changed, but the teacher refused. Like I said you have no reason to believe me, but I'm pretty sure this is accurate.
fencing1.jpg

Sports from SU's Past

fencing2.jpg

fencing4.jpg

Gottlieb makes a good point...we can't sit back in the 2-3 against strong rebounding teams.

Of course you can't "sit back" but there should be no problem rebounding from the 2-3. It's technique and these guys don't do it. Ball goes up, find a man, box him out. It's not rocket science. Honestly, I think this team just doesn't rebound well (with a couple exceptions) ...man or zone.

do the "we can still win" or "we will lose" stuff on other chains, this one is about what a docuhe Fab is. Sad part is, he is still going to be way richer than me 12 months from now. But...well no but. Jackarse

Mike Waters on with Mike F on YES

Said no inkling anything amiss on selection Sunday.

He hasn't been able to confirm the academic issue, said that would be real strange if it was academics.

This hurts and hurts real bad even though when Jim Calhoun was downplaying it when interviewed.

Mike W said when Rakeem backed up Fab at center it was strange to see him there as Baye had been the backup.

Mike F said SU should unleash Dion Waiters now.

Mike W said after the Irish loss we bounced back and beat two NCAA teams without Fab.

Mike F said this news has sent shock waves throughout the NCCAT can they bounce back and win it all.

Mike W They can't win it all without Fab, so much runs through him. He's a real good passer and a very good shot blocker.

Mike F why was Dion so much under wraps?

Mike W Last year he butted heads with JB. This year he bought in. When Scoop was struggling the other night JB left Dion out there and you saw the result.

Mike F Just when you thought you saw everything, this happens. Thank you Mike

Mike W They can't win it all without Fab, so much runs through him. He's a real good passer and a very good shot blocker.

This is something that belongs on the locker room wall. Damn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom