Fan Fest Report | Syracusefan.com

Fan Fest Report

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I went to Fan Fest. Haven’t read the board at all, so if some of this is a repeat of stuff already posted, I apologize.

My first reaction was extreme disappointment when the players came out without pads on. Would expecting to see some hitting, some blocking and some tackling.

That said, it was great to see football back in the dome. Even if it was only doing stretching and running some drills.

The air conditioning was noticeable on a hot, humid afternoon in Syracuse and was greatly appreciated. I have already seen the new scoreboards from lacrosse season but they remain impressive and the renovated dome looks bright, clean, shiny new and really good.

I tried the new cashless concessions. Went to a stand with a deep fryer in the south west corner of the dome. The setup was similar to what you see in those small kiosks at airports. You walk up, look at an assortment of food choices (just chicken tenders and fries, chicken sandwiches and fries alone), pick what you want. then go to a display case filled with beverages, grab what you want, then head to the clerk with your credit card or pay enabled phone and settle up. I scanned my soda, but could not scan my chicken tenders and fries, because there was no bar code. The girl had to manually enter the code, which took a while and wrecked the otherwise excellent setup.

33D16D24-E573-4798-A72F-E9FE245321A0.jpeg

6A7BF999-8EF7-47C5-A3A9-776E2506A1CE.jpeg

You can’t have some items without barcodes. I know this was a dress rehearsal and maybe someone just forgot this or maybe there wasn’t time to get barcodes up the boxes, but I hope it gets fixed. If things are set up right, most people should not need any assistance. It should be just like self checkout at a supermarket. Once the girl entered the code for the tenders, I gave the credit card gizmo a tap with my credit card and was good to go. The tenders and fries were warm and of good quality. Real chicken in the tenders; not the low quality ground chicken for the tenders that has been used in previous years at the dome. Those concerned about my keto diet should know I only had a couple of fries and turned the rest over to an expert fry eater who is also a moderator on the board. The tenders had some breading but not a lot. Guessing 15-20 grams all told. So all good there.

Anyway, I think the setup for the concession stand I went to is a lot better than in the past. Wish there were more food choices, but I understand this was a dress rehearsal and they probably didn’t go all out. I believe the deep fryer stands in the corners will at least have burgers as well. There were an assortment of sodas and adult beverages available for purchase. See attached pictures.

I will mention that I still think the light placement is going to have to be changed. Too many lights are directed into the sight line of fans and it makes it hard to watch the action on the field. They are going to have to have the center hung scoreboard hung really high for football, which makes it awkward to look at sitting on the lower level, and I again got a sore neck from having to crane it to look at the scoreboard at such a steep angle. I ended up stop looking at the center hung scoreboard because it wasn’t worth it.

The sound system was okay but it was hard to understand Sterlin (maybe it was his Texas twang). It was also hard to understand Nick Monroe. Maybe they used low quality microphones? Not sure but the garbled sound quality was disturbing to hear.

I would guess there were around 600 fans that came to the event. The crowd was really quiet. The practice was not exciting to watch and there frankly was nothing to cheer about. I think the biggest ovation of the day was when a player on the kicking team recovered an on sides kick and ran down the sideline toward the end zone.

Let’s talk about what the players did during Fan Fest. There was a lot of special teams work.

The punting teams practiced punting a lot. Looks like the competition for starting punter is down to Colby Barker, the walk-on former lacrosse player who transferred in from Ohio State, and frosh scholarship punter James Williams. James appears to be more flexible, has better form and on this day anyway, punted considerably better than Colby. He wasn’t great and he wasn’t awful. He looked adequate. I expect him to start against Ohio.

I think the gunners were Courtney Jackson and Garrett Williams. Bolinsky was the long snapper.

There was a long stretch where special teams practiced on side kick offs. I think the focus was actually on practicing receiving on sides kick offs. I can say James Williams did not look great at kicking on side kickoffs. This was really boring to watch. It was almost like Dino was trying to design the most boring drills possible to watch.

They practiced normal kickoffs as well. Szmyt and Williams appear to be the finalists for the KO job. Williams took most of them and appeared to have a significantly stronger leg than Andre. He got his KOs into the end zone around 75% of the time. Szmyt didn’t get any into the end zone but I think he had better hang time on his. Anyway, Williams appears to have an advantage here. Looks like he will be decent to good. Somewhere in between.

The KO returners were Pena, who I think is going to be the primary guy, Harris and Jackson.

I think Pena and Jackson lined up to return punts. Maybe Harris did too. Pena again seemed like he was the primary guy.

Szmyt took all or almost all the FG attempts. He looked really relaxed, and really good. Made like 15 in a row until I pointed this out and he hit an upright and missed one. Great form, very relaxed. He is also sporting a man bun this season.

It looks like Midkiff, a backup long snapper, is going to be the holder this season.

I believe the KO coverage team had the following players on it, besides Szmyt: Jackson, Mang, Max, Cartin-Arcu, Thompson, Barron, Carter, LaBrosse and Simmons.

After all the special teams drills, they finally did a little thud type scrimmaging. It was short, fast and furious but this is what I think I saw:

First team offense

QB Devito
RB Tucker
FB Rhino
WR Harris
WR Queeley
TE Benson
LT Servais
LG Bleich
C Vetterello
RG Ellis
RT Tisdale

Comments

Bergeron was in plain clothes. Spent a long time talking to Dino. Looked fine. My guess is that he had a heat stroke episode yesterday and sat out today as a precautionary move. Davis did not participate in OL drills and while he was dressed, it appears he is not ready to play as of today. I would have expected Ilaoa or Froumy to fill in for Davis but it was the true frosh Ellis, who I think even now is the biggest man I have ever seen in a Syracuse uniform. It was interesting Tisdale was moved to RT instead of moving a backup OT in there. To me, that says the staff likes Ellis more than any backup tackle (and is the 3rd OG on the depth guard right now).

Now I know coaches like to play around a bit in the preseason and maybe this was just an experiment. But it makes a startling rise up the depth chart early by Kelan.

If everyone is healthy, I would think Bergeron is the LT, Bleich the LG, looks like Vet is the C, with Davis the RG and Servais the RT. Tisdale and Ellis look like the first two OL off the bench.

Second team OL

LT Barclay
LG Kauai
C Ilaos
RG Froumy
RT Bradford

Hoeh looks like the 3rd team center.. Cruz appears to be in the mix for 2nd team LT. Kisstenstein is a backup OG. I think the 3rd unit only played one brief series, not sure who played there other than Hoeh at center.

Lutz got some snaps with the first team offense. Harris played in the slot and outside. I think they are going to move him around. Looks like Pena is the 2nd slot behind Jackson (unless you count Harris here too). Harris and Queeley got most of the run outside. Johnson looked like he got the next most snaps outside. Alford, Jackson, Jones and Gadsden got some PT outside too. Alford and Gadsden pass the look test. Big and strong. We haven’t had WRs like them in a while.

Tommy looked really relaxed and confident and I think played flawlessly. He had time to throw, had people open and moved the ball when he was out there. Shrader played quite a bit and I thought he looked good. Threw it well, looked relatively comfortable. I don’t think he ran the ball.

Luke Benson caught a ball in the flat and ran a long way for a TD. He still has excellent speed. Harris looked really good. Hard for the RBs to do much when the refs blew a whistle whenever anyone got near them but Tucker looked jacked and impressive.

First team defense

LT Kingsley
NT Harper
RT Black

LB Wax
LB Jones
LB Thompson

CB WIlliams
CB Chestnut
FS Hanna
Rover? Simmons
BS? Carter

Wax appears to be ahead of Cartin_Arku for the 3rd starting position at LB
McKinley was dressed but did not participate in drills. I hope that means he is close to playing again. Harper looks like he has dropped some weight and is quicker
I am not sure who played where with Simmons and Carter; didn’t have enough time to identify who played where, but they were the starters.

Second team defense

I won’t list the whole team here.
The CBs were Atkinson and Greenwood. I thought it was Greenwood anyway, but he was on the opposite side of the field from me and it might have been Sweetwood. That would make more sense. Greenwood might have been at FS the more I think about it.
Cartin-Arku was one of the LBs
I think the backup rover was Barron. Barron was playing one of the safety position on the south unit anyway. LaBrosse was another of the safeties.
I didn’t see Nunn out there. Don’t think he is ready to play yet.
Not sure who the backup DL were. I know Roscoe was one of the DEs.

Thompson looked really good. Which they let these guys play a little more.

The team looks big and strong. You can see there are a lot more players on the sidelines than in recent years. A lot of guys look bigger than they did last season. Thompson, Tucker, Alford, Tommy, Bolinsky, Wax and LaBrosse all come to mind here. Bleich looks really big. As does Davis. Like I said, Ellis is just ridiculously wide and broad. His frame is jumbo times 4. If I knew nothing, looking at the OL, I would think Froumy was the best player. He is really big, jacked and in really good shape. He looks like an OL is supposed to look.

Dino talked briefly after the practice and basically thanked us for coming and told us the team needed us to win this season. Dino by the way has a strong left arm and threw some nice spirals playing catch with a ball boy before practice started.

Based on reps in drills, JaCobian is the third string QB.

Last edited:
I agree about the lights needing to be adjusted. I think there will be a lot of complaints from the fans in the lower level. I sat in the corner of the end zone and had to pull my hat down low to block the lights.

I am hoping this won’t be an issue in Section 210 where my season tickets are located since there are no lights in the opposite end zone.

Thanks for the write up Tom! I guess my one eye raise was not seeing Anthony Red listed on the 2nd team. I thought before last year the staff was pretty high on him and he was close to playing a bunch.

Thanks for the write up Tom! I guess my one eye raise was not seeing Anthony Red listed on the 2nd team. I thought before last year the staff was pretty high on him and he was close to playing a bunch.
From the .com write up Red was 2nd team.
First-unit (left to right)

Airon Servais, Kalan Ellis, Carlos Vettorello, Chris Bleich (or Josh Ilaoa) and Darius Tisdale

Second-unit

Anthony Red, Garth Barclay, Josh Ilaoa (or Wes Hoeh), Austyn Kauhi and Jakob Bradford

Third-unit

Enrique Cruz, Dakota Davis, Wes Hoeh, Wil Froumy and Tyler Magnuson

Not sure what the OL will look like next Saturday. Probably see some changes in the game at several of the positions.
Impressed that both Hawaiian players are getting work with the first and second unit. Maybe this will help us get other Hawaiian OL in the future even though we struck out this year.
Like that shrader was looking to throw first. Use his legs second.

Dino is either going to be seen as a genius for his lack of media coverage and marketing of the team because he’s rolling out something amazing he doesn’t want anyone to know about, or he will be seen as a fool.

Good report. I just wonder how long it will be until the beverage thing blows up from people throwing cans and bottles. Maybe we should create a betting pool at $5 a date. :p

Good report. I just wonder how long it will be until the beverage thing blows up from people throwing cans and bottles. Maybe we should create a betting pool at $5 a date. :p

3rd quarter of the Rutgers game if that.

Dino is either going to be seen as a genius for his lack of media coverage and marketing of the team because he’s rolling out something amazing he doesn’t want anyone to know about, or he will be seen as a fool.
I can’t help but think this is a blunder. You’re not showing your hand by having an exciting spring game. With the new dome
and a chance to engage a local base hungry for live sports, I think Dino didn’t
help himself.

I can’t help but think this is a blunder. You’re not showing your hand by having an exciting spring game. With the new dome
and a chance to engage a local base hungry for live sports, I think Dino didn’t
help himself.
The only people who are going to the games right now are already motivated fans. Look at the fair, look at the movies.

there’s no amount of marketing that is going to increase sales.

dino is managing expectations right now by creating none

Dino’s paid millions of dollars. If fostering an environment of zero expectations is him doing an acceptable job then yikes.

I suppose we just dropped 100mil+ on the dome to get a better package for the air conditioning then.

Marketing and organically generating hype/excitement is very very important when you’re struggling on field and treading water recruiting. Season tickets went up 10,000 plus sold between 2018 and 2019. Just throw CNY a bone.
Doesn’t the new building do that on its own?

Deleting my response, trying to be positive heading into the season.

Doesn’t the new building do that on its own?
Not necessarily. I wonder how many people actually know about the interior renovations? From the outside it just looks like the dome’s been crowned.

The inside looks beautiful compared to the old. Would just like to see them flaunt it.

Not necessarily. I wonder how many people actually know about the interior renovations? From the outside it just looks like the dome’s been crowned.

The inside looks beautiful compared to the old. Would just like to see them flaunt it.
Honestly, I wasn’t blown away from the look of the interior. Trying to look up at the championship pennants and you get blinded by the lights. My son kept asking where was Gerry’s uniform , where was the Jim Brown mural etc. A lot of the banners were generally hard to read they were so small.Up top could use some spiffing up . A lot of grey around the top of the Dome interior
The center scoreboard is amazing. Crystal clear.

Or, 3rd option: no one outside of the diehards noticed any of this at all and we’ll win our first two regardless

Honestly, I wasn’t blown away from the look of the interior. Trying to look up at the championship pennants and you get blinded by the lights. My son kept asking where was Gerry’s uniform , where was the Jim Brown mural etc. A lot of the banners were generally hard to read they were so small.Up top could use some spiffing up . A lot of grey around the top of the Dome interior
The center scoreboard is amazing. Crystal clear.
so i guess those that end up sitting in the high seats are gonna appreciate everything more than lose in the lower bowl. but not sure what some expected for looking at a center hung board.. any arena you go to with these boards where you sit down low they are hard to watch. the closer your seats the harder they are to use.. but having spent years looking at a replay board from 150 yds away its a great upgrade for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom