Fan Fest | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fan Fest

Eliminated the donor event this year as well. Last year's Barbecue with Babers was worth the trip. They are having a Donor Appreciation Event pre game vs. Wagner instead but to those of us that consider tailgating a religion it won't be as relevant.

Love Dino but really feel he has to throw at least the donors a bone with a practice or something. No offense to all our great fans, but this isn't like some areas where football is just part of the culture and donors and money is easier to come by.

So was that a woman beating Whigham? Being a gentleman or just flat out beat?

This is the 1st year in a long time that I didn’t go. maybe if I had kids I would have went, but then again if they can’t throw the die Garda fans who have stuck with the program through a miserable 25 years then I’m not wasting my time. I will never understand the reason for the stealth these coaches feel is absolutely necessary . There are (in most seasons) 12 games a year. At least if there were some access to scrimmage/practices it would make it feel a little more worth it. Not to mention trying to win back some good will with the remaining fan base and god forbid trying to gain back interest from those that left

Can't argue with what you said. Problem is some closed minded people around here and the program think its only us diehard degenerates that care about this stuff and don't consider that there are people on the fence that might want to get back involved (especially after the Clemson win).

Yes, its mostly about wins but its an age of communication and exposure and for some less intense fans than ourselves, knowing some of the players and coaches Dino mentions in a post scrimmage presser , might help. In 2018 and after 20+ years of bad fb, we are in no position to be so covert and stealth.

DeVito looks like a kid next to Dungey.

Eric’s arms are even bigger than last year.

TD , in a few years could take on the build of Garopallo. I believe JG is 6'3". TD is listed as 6'2". That next inch will be huge in the eye's of the pros. Think their body type is similar and its a bit ironic bc i truly believe one of the deciding factors in TD's commitment was Dino's development of JG.

I've never really been a fan of this type of thing but that being said, I think it's a huge way to get young fans to be fans for their lifetime of Syracuse University. SU needs those 15k or so diehards as a base. Or...win a lot of games.

When very few people show up...isn't it even more embarrassing for the school like when there are only 25 to 30 K in the Dome? To me, winning is going to bring people and until they start to get excitement going in the fanbase doing that, these type of events are probably going to be debated by the decision makers as being a liability until those 8+ win seasons start racking up and they can feel somewhat confident that people will go to this type of event.

I've never really been a fan of this type of thing but that being said, I think it's a huge way to get young fans to be fans for their lifetime of Syracuse University. SU needs those 15k or so diehards as a base. Or...win a lot of games.

When very few people show up...isn't it even more embarrassing for the school like when there are only 25 to 30 K in the Dome? To me, winning is going to bring people and until they start to get excitement going in the fanbase doing that, these type of events are probably going to be debated by the decision makers as being a liability until those 8+ win seasons start racking up and they can feel somewhat confident that people will go to this type of event.
That is precisely what it’s about, and is what was in the past for me when I was younger. Except now there’s less football. But the boy had fun as usual. No bouncy crap for us, just rubbing elbows with our team.

As an adult, I will admit I think to myself, “how embarrassing”. Virtually no one there. But I think the majority of people there are NOT the diehards, so hopefully it encourages them to start coming. If the diehards all came, then perhaps we could turn it back into what it used to be?
11D01AF2-4985-4D68-A339-E75CFD7539E1.jpeg

It’s simple for our family - something for my boys to get out of it and something for me. This year, there wasn’t a scrimmage. It’s an hour drive and the kids were ok in missing out.

If it were just a scrimmage, I’d love it and my kids would revolt.

Both + some ice cream and or wine for my wife and we wouldn’t miss it ;)

Could have been worse. Wake Forest held their fan fest in the stadium concourse due to rain.

Congrats SU!

You've successfully reduced the number of hardcore diehards from 1500 to 200. Close enough to just shut this and the Spring game down for good! Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!

As someone who would also like to see a scrimmage (look at my avitar, I have made the 4.5 hour drive for the listless spring game) I think we need to stop complaining about what it isn't. We have almost no access to the program if we want to be brought into team meetings and full open practices, but I don't think that should surprise us anymore and I don't think we'll get that back for as long as Dino is here. I also think most of us see the great potential in Dino and wouldn't want to see an open practice or two at the expense of having him coach.

I think it could be more, in the way of entertainment, like a carnival and a pep rally or something, or more "NFL experience" like events, but I don't think it has to be about seeing a practice. Maybe it could be a CNY food culture event and the "winners" of the food challenges get a concession booth in the Dome that season. Categories could be beer, hot dog, dessert, snack alternative, healthy alternative...

My wife told me after a spring game that she really appreciated it as she felt more connected to the team and had a greater vested interest in their performance. I promise some of that had to do with Otto walking the aisles and my kids getting photo ops with Otto and some players, although the latter was more with alums like Shamarko and Jay Bromley. The idea of my kids running a 40 with ED or Johnson cheering them on, or in my case, the NJ guys as there is a connection would make her cry and be the thrill of a lifetime for the kids. That in my opinion is the true target, or it should be, of a fan fest.

I can tell you kids are lifetime fans with that kind of interaction. I have signed autographs at Tully's just because I was at a table with half the hoops team. The kids are just thrilled to see first hand and up close how big the guys are, and to feel like they know them. I'm telling you, it has a lasting impact that is tough to put a value on. If we can sustain quality for 10 years, those kids will fill the student section we complain is under-attended.

Next on the list, game atmosphere traditions. We need a "yell squad" type of planning and coaching approach.

Every year people post that the previous fan fests were far better than the current one.

everyone knows dino doesnt really want to do these events, but having 1 day devoted to fan appreciation wouldn't kill him at either a real spring game or fanfest with scrimmage and the current stuff for the kids and a picnic as a thank you for continued support through a couple rough decades. id say fanfest would get more people interested leading into the upcoming season.

For a program thats struggling to fill its stadium you need "grass roots" programs. Whether its Fan Day, Season Ticket Day, Kid Day you need all these events you can to attract more interest and ultimately fans.

In addition they need to do more for boosters and season ticket holders.

Here is a list of "perks" we get with our Bengals season tickets:
NFL DRAFT Party
Meet the Rookie Day (meet all of that years draft picks and Undrafted signings)
Training Camp Day (only open to season ticket members)
Stadium and Locker Room Tours
Sideline Passes for 1 game during warm ups
Discount at the Pro Shop

Again for a program that needs all the help in can get, they need to get involved more with the community and fans both current ones and potential ones.

For a program thats struggling to fill its stadium you need "grass roots" programs. Whether its Fan Day, Season Ticket Day, Kid Day you need all these events you can to attract more interest and ultimately fans.

In addition they need to do more for boosters and season ticket holders.

Here is a list of "perks" we get with our Bengals season tickets:
NFL DRAFT Party
Meet the Rookie Day (meet all of that years draft picks and Undrafted signings)
Training Camp Day (only open to season ticket members)
Stadium and Locker Room Tours
Sideline Passes for 1 game during warm ups
Discount at the Pro Shop

Again for a program that needs all the help in can get, they need to get involved more with the community and fans both current ones and potential ones.
More than anything, they need to WIN. Have no fear, that will selll out the Dome because people will gladly spend their entertainment dollar on a winner.

Every year people post that the previous fan fests were far better than the current one.

The fanfest has been going downhill for years. The days where the fanfest was a scrimmage, a buffet inside Manley, a silent auction, Doug Logan MCing, autographs and each position coach introducing their players is long gone. Used to be a can’t miss event. Those were the days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom