Fan health and coping skills during SU games | Syracusefan.com

Fan health and coping skills during SU games

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Meant to be more of a light discussion of how each of us fans cope (or fail to cope) during tense SU football games. For me, if the game has significance, the stress response is very perceptible. My heart rate increases to where I can sometimes feel the palpitations. I often need to drink a ton of water constantly because I dehydrate very quickly. Frequent bathroom trips. I'll be locked into the game but generally abstain from yelling unless:
  • there's a BS penalty
  • if something good is about to happen and we F it up (like missing a tackle in the backfield)
I tell my wife I do not understand why I put myself through this torment because of the stress it places on my body. If we win, I think the dopamine helps to offset and my mental health has an enormous boost for a few days (cue UNLV) so maybe it's all about chasing the next high. If we lose it's the opposite effect and I'm either miserable or depressed for at least a day or longer (cue Stanford).

The only time watching is enjoyable and "fun" for me is when we're comfortably in control of the game. I started to feel that way after 14-0 last week but then two3zone had to go jinx it with his boatrace comment in the game thread and it all went to hell.

I think managing expectations is key. Too many people think we’re an ACC competitor and I get why with having McCord for only one year. There’s just not enough on Defense and ST to compliment the offense. Gotta just enjoy the ride and hope for an 8-9 win season, as I've said in another thread.

As they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s a new era at cuse and it will take time for Fran to build his roster.

Meant to be more of a light discussion of how each of us fans cope (or fail to cope) during tense SU football games. For me, if the game has significance, the stress response is very perceptible. My heart rate increases to where I can sometimes feel the palpitations. I often need to drink a ton of water constantly because I dehydrate very quickly. Frequent bathroom trips. I'll be locked into the game but generally abstain from yelling unless:
  • there's a BS penalty
  • if something good is about to happen and we F it up (like missing a tackle in the backfield)
I tell my wife I do not understand why I put myself through this torment because of the stress it places on my body. If we win, I think the dopamine helps to offset and my mental health has an enormous boost for a few days (cue UNLV) so maybe it's all about chasing the next high. If we lose it's the opposite effect and I'm either miserable or depressed for at least a day or longer (cue Stanford).

The only time watching is enjoyable and "fun" for me is when we're comfortably in control of the game. I started to feel that way after 14-0 last week but then two3zone had to go jinx it with his boatrace comment in the game thread and it all went to hell.
I’m right there with ya. I do not cope very well when we fall behind or make dumb plays. I’ve been known to turn the tv off if we’re not doing well and follow the game on ESPN for awhile until we do better. My wife refuses to watch the game live with me because of my aggravation.

This all said, I’m better than I used to be. Age has a way of putting this more into perspective. It’s just a game. But I have to keep telling myself that each week.

I don't cope at all. Mrs Crusty has to threaten changing the channel to something I hate. Of course, this can happen more than once during a game (GT and UNLV).

I am much better at the game than watching on TV.

But, what the h*ll, better than not caring.

• there's a BS penalty

I suggest you stop reading the in game threads, just watch the game. Those threads tend to reinforce the negativity.

I also do not read the “Why the opponent will win” threads. It’s just not for me. I don’t need to aggravation. Nor do I read the “why SU will win”. I don’t see the purpose.

And, I try to wait until I write anything about my observations after a game until I’ve had a chance to level out from the highs or lows following a game. If I find myself extremely annoyed or frustrated I have written posts to clear my thoughts and not posted them. This can be cathartic for me and makes me more human when dealing with my wife or family after a game.

I also don’t bet on SU games. I was in Vegas for four days and didn’t place a single bet. No judgement here. I enjoy all of the games more this way.

Enjoy the ride. I’m looking forward to growth and improvement as the season progresses.

Go Orange!

I suggest you stop reading the in game threads, just watch the game. Those threads tend to reinforce the negativity.

I also do not read the “Why the opponent will win” threads. It’s just not for me. I don’t need to aggravation. Nor do I read the “why SU will win”. I don’t see the purpose.

And, I try to wait until I write anything about my observations after a game until I’ve had a chance to level out from the highs or lows following a game. If I find myself extremely annoyed or frustrated I have written posts to clear my thoughts and not posted them. This can be cathartic for me and makes me more human when dealing with my wife or family after a game.

I also don’t bet on SU games. I was in Vegas for four days and didn’t place a single bet. No judgement here. I enjoy all of the games more this way.

Enjoy the ride. I’m looking forward to growth and improvement as the season progresses.

Go Orange!

The game threads are my therapy sessions.

I actually don't get worked up like I used to. Getting older, marriage/kids, and the Greg Robinson era really put things in perspective for me.

But I view the game threads as a good spot to both do a bit of my own b_itching, but also mock everyone else for theirs. It's the wild west.

I'm physically exhausted after a game. I was actually in a sweat after Friday night. No advice on what to do about it. But I get that way watching any of my sports teams play but especially Cuse.

• there's a BS penalty

I take a Valium and smoke a ton of weed.

To be fair, I should've eased your mind when I'd say we beat those guys even if they scored 40 shortly after they scored the first time.

The game threads are my therapy sessions.

I actually don't get worked up like I used to. Getting older, marriage/kids, and the Greg Robinson era really put things in perspective for me.

But I view the game threads as a good spot to both do a bit of my own b_itching, but also mock everyone else for theirs. It's the wild west.
Similar.

As far as the getting older thing, I agree in that like an hour after the game, I'm over it, I used to let it affect me into the next day. Good or bad, sadly.

2003, I think I was smiling for like 2 weeks after.

Note sure if I would be today. everything moves so fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom