FanDuel sets win total for Cuse at 6.5... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FanDuel sets win total for Cuse at 6.5...

I’d still take the over but these are my two concerns. Coaching staff is less of a concern than OL, for me. Had we hired a proven teacher at the OL position I’d feel a lot better but we have an OL based on previous years….. “everyone improves so we’ll be better next year”. Maybe we will but it’s definitely a concern. Then throw in a coach I’m not sure is better than what we had. Who knows.

Inexperience of coaching staff is definitely a concern but Fran seems like a no nonsense guy, in a way other coaches just make it sound like they are but really aren’t. I think what they lack in experience they’ll make up for in being difficult to game plan against and being more willing to adjust. In game and through the season.
I’m in agreement on all. I would be surprised if we don’t get at least 7 wins in 2024 based upon the talent Fran and team brought in. DL has been massively upgraded with talent. I believe this team will go as far as the OL and OL Coaching will take them and it is a big concern right now. Depth at QB is another issue as others have stated. We need much better production from the WR group overall.

I think 6.5 is about right for a betting line.

We tend to make our own projections as if no one will get injured.

There's some better talent, but have to learn new systems with a new head coach, and have some positions where an injury or two can really derail things.

I’m in agreement on all. I would be surprised if we don’t get at least 7 wins in 2024 based upon the talent Fran and team brought in. DL has been massively upgraded with talent. I believe this team will go as far as the OL and OL Coaching will take them and it is a big concern right now. Depth at QB is another issue as others have stated. We need much better production from the WR group overall.
The OL will be better just for going against the New DL.
They will practice against a group that might be one of the league's best.
If they can compete against them, they will gain confidence they can compete against the teams on the schedule.

I think 6.5 is about right for a betting line.

We tend to make our own projections as if no one will get injured.

There's some better talent, but have to learn new systems with a new head coach, and have some positions where an injury or two can really derail things.
If teams like Ala lose the QB they often struggle to get close to win totals as well.. Not every yr can they cover up the big injury.. But they have more help around to deal with it..

The OL will be better just for going against the New DL.
They will practice against a group that might be one of the league's best.
If they can compete against them, they will gain confidence they can compete against the teams on the schedule.
This is not even a thing. It's sports fan cliche' #432. Better players dominate less talented players.
Simple as that. We know our present OL is not good enough to lead our offense to a high level of success and wins. This is what the board did when Babers had a less talented team. It's just rationalization.

I agree with most of the thoughts here that our wins total should be in the over category, especially with adding McCord. Hopefully he stays healthy. An injured QB has been our achilleas heal for how many seasons straight? OK one season was mostly because of a decimated OL.

On the flip side of us bringing in more talented classes we are still middle'ish of the pack in rankings. And its just one season of better recruiting. How much of an impact will that have year one? Also it seems the conference as a whole recruited a little better this year than normal as well.

This is not even a thing. It's sports fan cliche' #432. Better players dominate less talented players.
Simple as that. We know our present OL is not good enough to lead our offense to a high level of success and wins. This is what the board did when Babers had a less talented team. It's just rationalization.
On the OL we lost a lot of players before the season started or VERY early. Injuries always happen but it was a little excessive at OL last year. More, Ellis and Wholabaugh, all potential starters that were gone after game 1 last year. We've added a little via transfer and really only lost Bleich. This is college and players graduate. Most college teams lose more than that in a year. So improvement is not out of the question. But certainly would like to add another piece or two for sure.

This is literally the same win total to open last year. Does this feel right? High? low? I was thinking 7.5 for some reason, but I guess there are just so many unknowns.

I don’t know about “right.” But SU won 6 games last year without Gadsden. With him it would have likely been 8, maybe 9. We limped to the finish without a QB. I think the 6.5 projection is only odd when compared to what SU should have accomplished last season. I probably would have projected 7.5 this year.

Hammer the over. I think the basement floor is 7 wins. An elite proven QB leading us now. This can’t be understated the importance of someone that will be extremely competent AND with elite skills behind center. Shrader was extremely competent and a baller, but flawed slightly in arm capabilities and accuracy. I just don’t see Kyle McCord losing 5 games in one season.
My only concern is zero help on the OL, even the best QBs need more than 2 seconds to make reads

My only concern is zero help on the OL, even the best QBs need more than 2 seconds to make reads
My hope is we have a solid coordinator who can scheme up quick hitters to relieve pressure off the OL. But yes that’s a huge concern and as a fan base we are in the “we will believe it when we see it mode”

I don’t know about “right.” But SU won 6 games last year without Gadsden. With him it would have likely been 8, maybe 9. We limped to the finish without a QB. I think the 6.5 projection is only odd when compared to what SU should have accomplished last season. I probably would have projected 7.5 this year.
That is way too high. Even if you put it at 7, I would think more bets go with the under.

Remember this isn’t a win projection but where an even amount of bets will land.

That being said right now IMO 6.75 should be our probable record. I think there is a greater chance at 7 Ws than 6, which is a disappointment. But greater chance at 6 than 8 which is a pleasant surprise. Having only 5 would be a huge disappointment and getting 9 a huge surprise.

If we knew we could keep our QB on his ft for all 12 games there is a chance that we are the Dog in only the NC st game and the Miami game. That probably requires a 4-0 start before we head on the rd.

IF we beat GT I think we beat Stan. a great shot at 5-0 then.

Pitt wont be great but we always struggle.

VT gave us a pounding last yr

BC is BC with a new coach so who knws

Cal will be a tough rd trip no matter how good they are.

Miami is all about the timing at that point.. They will bring no fans that weekend. If we are playing well it will be hopping if not we are probably under the 6.5 anyway and no one will care.

50% we go 7-5 or 8-4 if we have any team at all.

25% we go 6-6

25% we go 9-3 or better

Our new style will play better if we can get there in yr 1.

Zero built in Ls and 4 very winnable road games. Plus the two bye weeks and a late season cupcake to ease the grind.

How do you know there are zero built in Ls ? We lost to two teams last season (GT, VT) who are on the schedule this season.

@Cal is no sure win. @UNLV is no sure win. Miami can beat anyone (or lose to anyone.) NC State same.

We haven't even started spring ball. We have NO idea what we're putting on the field, and no idea how these other teams are projected to be relative to Syracuse.

I see 3 probable wins (Ohio, UConn, Holy Cross) and the rest are toss ups until more is known about us and them.

Last edited:
How do you know there are zero built in Ls ? We lost to two teams (GT, VT) who beat us last year.

@Cal is no sure win. @UNLV is no sure win. Miami can beat anyone (or lose to anyone.) NC State same.

We haven't even started spring ball. We have NO idea what we're putting on the field, and no idea how these other teams are projected to be relative to Syracuse.

I see 3 probable wins (Ohio, UConn, Holy Cross) and the rest are toss ups until more is known about us and them.
Plus, we don't know if these guys can coach a game. Can they game plan? Adjust. We think and hope they can. But you never know until you know. But if you had to bet one way or the other, which side would you take? I would take the over. But with your money.

How do you know there are zero built in Ls ? We lost to two teams (GT, VT) who beat us last year.

You answered your own question

Speaking of locks… UConn to win the CFP is currently at 500,000-1

How do you know there are zero built in Ls ? We lost to two teams last season (GT, VT) who are on the schedules this season.

10 years ago Clemson was a built in loss.. Turns out in a decade of them being really, really good for most of it, on the field we probably should have won 3-4 times not 1.

Plus, we don't know if these guys can coach a game. Can they game plan? Adjust. We think and hope they can. But you never know until you know. But if you had to bet one way or the other, which side would you take? I would take the over. But with your money.

today, the under.