Favorite moments that don’t show up on the scoreboard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite moments that don’t show up on the scoreboard

Jeremy McNeil on his senior night in 2004. His last living relative had died earlier in the season, so he did not have any family members to walk with him to half court (as per tradition). Instead, the entire team walked with him and stood with him as he received his framed jersey. Many wet eyes in the Dome.
Amazing support by the team, but god this was so heart breaking to read. It’s beyond sad that a kid graduating from college doesn’t hasn’t family.

I haven’t heard much of him since around that time, is he doing well?

Coming to a dome near you

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 84
My very first game.
Warm Up
Theme from Shaft
JJ Jackson It’s all right
Dennis Duval doing the Globetrotter passing thing.
It was incredible for a 12 yo

I remember that stuff. Great stuff.

Standing outside our hotel chanting let’s go orange and other things at the Kansas fans standing outside the hotel they were staying at across the street from us as we waited on the team bus to arrive after winning the NC and then eating pizza and drinking in the hotel lobby with CTO, Jake, Tomcat, my bro’s, and many others. Surreal.
That was a good day….. ;)

The electricity at MSG during the 6 OT game. 6 times falling behind in the extra frames, never to lead until the 6th.
The place was magic. The PA guy playing “midnight” themed songs between sessions.
The sheer emotional exhaustion after the game. The “brotherhood” with UCOnn fans knowing the incredible battle we had shared, and but for some luck, we could have been on the losing side.
The Blarney Rock until 4:00 in the morning.
Then, unbelievably, an OT win the next night.
Had we not played a (just about) whole extra game, we beat U of L in the championship, but I digress.
The magic of the Garden that night will be one of my forever life memories.

Last edited:
I remember Paul Harris dunking an alley-oop, and then launching his headband into the crowd in celebration. He also threw himself an alley oop once. Loved that guy.

What I remember about Paul is that he would fall backwards with his arms flailing wildly when he was fouled. I remember me and the kids watching it and laughing hysterically, rewinding, watching it and laughing hysterically. Etc.

This was a pretty innocuous moment as we were beating Nova before a record-setting crowd, ranked #1 and the game winding down.
On the bench sat Hop in between GMac and Andy Rautins, who had had his usual steady game that 2010 season. They were going back and forth and Hop must’ve said something funny, because both GMac/Andy started cracking up.
I just remember loving watching 3 SU players, both past & present yet so linked together, just shooting the isht on National TV before 35000 of their closest friends.
It made me swell with pride as a fan of this program, as an alum. It was a fleeting moment, but I’ll never forget it.

Last edited:
Coming out of the Superdome and hearing Digger telling the TV audience that Roy Williams deserved to win the National Championship. Then starting a chant that could be heard back in Syracuse.....Digger sucks. It was so loud by our fans that they had to go to a commercial.

McNabb and the bench mob during the ‘96 run crossing their legs in synchronized fashion when a teammate hit a free throw. You could tell how much that team liked each other, and I have no doubt that bond helped them advance to the title game.

Another moment during that run (among so many) was McNabb jumping up during Cipolla’s shot that tied the game. Like he knew it was going in.

I was a fan before that run, but that season sealed the deal on a personal investment that has now extended nearly 30 years.

Derrick Coleman. Dunk at the Dome against Michigan. We are blowing them out in 1988. He “runs” back on defense via Fayetteville. Game was obviously personal for him (and Sherman, who squared off against Gary Grant).

I remember Paul Harris dunking an alley-oop, and then launching his headband into the crowd in celebration. He also threw himself an alley oop once. Loved that guy.

OK, now THAT is a Tavern League zone, lol!

Derrick Coleman. Dunk at the Dome against Michigan. We are blowing them out in 1988. He “runs” back on defense via Fayetteville. Game was obviously personal for him (and Sherman, who squared off against Gary Grant).
Same game, Derrick being subbed out at the end of the game and before going to the bench, first running around and high fiving all of his teammates still on the court, then high fiving anyone and everyone on the bench area while the crowd went nuts.

That game used to be on YouTube. Just looked for it and couldn’t find it. That is a shame.

Benny Williams saying “why would he do that?” To teammates immediately after swatting a Lafayette dunk attempt out of bounds.

Hysterical

Sitting at a SoCal sports bar with the local alumni group for the 2014 Duke game in the Dome. Ennis passed to Grant for a dunk early in the OT. We all realized at the same time that there was a mismatch, and a buzz went through the group. We knew we had them and then Tyler passed to Grant again and again…

In 87 (my sophomore year) after we beat NC to go to the Final Four. A huge crowd gathered at the airport to welcome the team and DC announced, “pack the bags baby, we going to Bourbon Street!”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom