Favorite moments that don’t show up on the scoreboard | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite moments that don’t show up on the scoreboard

Confused Notre Dame fans still hopping up and down as it becomes apparent they are going to lose.
Marek taking a charge from Zion ala looney tunes.
John Thompson (RIP) ejection.
Melos reaction when Mich State guard says he is just like Melo.
The cool old guy in the corner with the orange blazer.
National champ euphoria.

Three court stormings - Pitt 2003.

I actually quit a job over that game. I had tickets to go with my father - but the manufacturing site I managed was running poorly, the on call person was useless, and the general manager told me I needed to go in to get things fixed. I gave the tickets to my parents, made it home from work about one minute into the game, and stewed about the fact I missed a classic once it was over. Spent Sunday working on my resume, had a new job three months later.

I use that story to communicate at work the need to respect people's work-life balance - I still remember that game was 2/1/03 because of how angry I was (and frankly still am) about it. On the plus side, my mother still fondly remembers that game.

If I'm remembering correctly, the records that people brought were a few games later, against UConn, when he broke the all-time SU scoring record, and the career NCAA assist record on the same night. It was pretty close to the 22 assist game so they blend in after all of these years.

The 22 assists against Providence just came out of nowhere but highlighted how fun those teams were back then.
Thanks, that timeline makes sense. Think about Sherman, he broke the school's all time scoring record and the NCAA assist record despite very limited playing time his freshman year. It's hard to imagine a better succession than 3 years of the best point guard in college basketball to another 3 years of the best point guard in college basketball.

I actually quit a job over that game. I had tickets to go with my father - but the manufacturing site I managed was running poorly, the on call person was useless, and the general manager told me I needed to go in to get things fixed. I gave the tickets to my parents, made it home from work about one minute into the game, and stewed about the fact I missed a classic once it was over. Spent Sunday working on my resume, had a new job three months later.

I use that story to communicate at work the need to respect people's work-life balance - I still remember that game was 2/1/03 because of how angry I was (and frankly still am) about it. On the plus side, my mother still fondly remembers that game.
That sucks. I had court side seats thanks to CTO.

That sucks. I had court side seats thanks to CTO.
I bought a $6 youth ticket to sit in the rafters despite being like 21, and then snuck into the close to the court seat that my father was in….eventually people realized that I was crowding in, but didn’t care, and seemed to respect it. We were all standing for the whole second half anyway, and I think my pure fan intensity was hard to deny at that point. I had no shame that I snuck into a section I had no business being in and was a complete maniac all game.

What a hard fought game.

Proudly participated in the second 2 of the 3!

The loudest and most intense Dome crowd I’ve been a part of.
Afterwards the players said the court was shaking.

I remember Paul Harris dunking an alley-oop, and then launching his headband into the crowd in celebration. He also threw himself an alley oop once. Loved that guy.

Those shorts worn back then are just as funny if not more so than the short shorts worn years before. :)

06-07 game vs Nova if I remember correctly. That was so bizarre. Did anyone ever determine what exactly he possibly could have said to warrant being kicked out? And I didn’t think a ref even had the authority to kick out a fan.

He called Jim Burr "Higgins".

Andre Hawkins taking John Pinone to the hole and dunking in his face. I think Pinone's forehead said "Spalding" for a week afterwards.

I remember a game at the dome against St John’s Redmen (at the time) when they had a mascot wearing Indian garb including a huge headdress and even war paint. Suddenly a crazy SU fan ran over to the mascot, stole the headdress right off his head, ran out of the dome with security chasing him a few minutes later when they realized what happened. Most of the dome didn’t realize it even happened, it was so quick but sitting in section 312 I had a bird’s eye view. It was a big news story for quite a while with St John’s being very upset, SU supposedly looking hard for it, a reward being offered. Never heard that it was ever found. Anyone else remember that - in the early crazy days of the dome.

If I'm remembering correctly, the records that people brought were a few games later, against UConn, when he broke the all-time SU scoring record, and the career NCAA assist record on the same night. It was pretty close to the 22 assist game so they blend in after all of these years.

The 22 assists against Providence just came out of nowhere but highlighted how fun those teams were back then.
Absolutely correct- my bad. The old peepers ain’t like they use to be. It wasn’t the single-game but the ncaa assist record, that he held for a number of years.
I do recall wondering if anyone ever got hurt by one of those flying discs. Awesome moment.

The electricity at MSG during the 6 OT game. 6 times falling behind in the extra frames, never to lead until the 6th.

5 times falling behind - we led wire to wire in the 6th.

I went from drunk, to hung over, to sober and exhausted in the span of that game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom