Favorite moments that don’t show up on the scoreboard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite moments that don’t show up on the scoreboard

I watched the 2003 semifinal game on satellite TV in Warsaw, Poland at the home of upstate New York people who were working at the American School in Warsaw (I was teaching abroad at a different school and we had traveled there for a music festival.) The game was in the middle of the night because of the time zone difference.

I have never thought to post this here, but I wonder if those guys are on this board. No idea of anyone's name. It came out that I was originally from Syracuse and they invited me to one of their homes. I believe two were from Vestal and another from Lake Placid? What a night/morning!

My very first game.
Warm Up
Theme from Shaft
JJ Jackson It’s all right
Dennis Duval doing the Globetrotter passing thing.
It was incredible for a 12 yo
I have similar memories. Wild guess around 69-70.. One of our coaches got our whole team tickets to a game. I was on the special 6th grade team that played after junior high games. Not sure where Danforth came up with the warmup theme but for a kid it was off the charts cool. Duval reminds me of Earl the Pearl Monroe of his special way (style) of ballhandling. I believe we must be about the same age storange.

Roy Danforth keeping his promise to get up and lead the Manley Zoo in a cheer if the team was up by some ridiculously large number.

Mike Lee (I think it was him) dropkicking the ball into the stands while playing St. John's and the refs never knowing what happened to the ball.

gettyimages-57055439-1024x1024.jpg

The night Sherman Douglas broke the single game assist record with 22 against Providence. Felt like at least half of them were on alley-oop dunks.
The record breaker was a one-handed oop jam by freshman Billy Owens, and was immediately followed by hundreds of vinyl records thrown onto the court from the capacity crowd. Unforgettable.

Last edited:
Cant name the number of great Father Charles moments. During close games or bad calls i just loved watching him. He was amazing.

2003 Final Four against Texas. A big ice storm hit CNY the day before and my parent's house and most houses in Oswego County were without power. My friends and I traveled to the dome, as they were having a watch party there.

There were around 10,000 people in the dome, and it was an amazing atmosphere. SU had some local DJs there trying to "amp up" the crowd. The crowd was already amped and ended up taking out some of our energy harassing the DJs. The crowd began booing them during timeouts in play, to the point where they pretty much stopped talking down the stretch of the second half.

A great memory.

The SU fan who stands behind the basket waving his orange towel like it’s a ribbon when the opponent is shooting free throws. Someone needs to revoke his man card.

Sitting in a sports bar in Columbus Georgia vs Georgia in 1996 Tournament. I was talking mad stuff drunk as a skunk. I thought sure I was going to get my ass kicked. I was out numbered about 80-1.
So at your size and 'experience' level, I'd give you a 3-1 edge, meaning you were surrounded by 240 Georgia fans.

That math feels right.

The record breaker was a one-handed oop to freshman Billy Owens, and was immediately followed by hundreds of vinyl records thrown onto the court from the capacity crowd. Unforgettable.
Why did fans bring vinyl records to a game? How did they know Sherman was going to make history? Unless they brought them to every game in anticipation of Sherman being awesome (which makes perfect sense to me).

Why did fans bring vinyl records to a game? How did they know Sherman was going to make history? Unless they brought them to every game in anticipation of Sherman being awesome (which makes perfect sense to me).
I was thinking the same thing unless it was Disco night and they pelted the court like at the baseball game the one time.

I was thinking the same thing unless it was Disco night and they pelted the court like at the baseball game the one time.
If I'm remembering correctly, the records that people brought were a few games later, against UConn, when he broke the all-time SU scoring record, and the career NCAA assist record on the same night. It was pretty close to the 22 assist game so they blend in after all of these years.

The 22 assists against Providence just came out of nowhere but highlighted how fun those teams were back then.

If I'm remembering correctly, the records that people brought were a few games later, against UConn, when he broke the all-time SU scoring record, and the career NCAA assist record on the same night. It was pretty close to the 22 assist game so they blend in after all of these years.

The 22 assists against Providence just came out of nowhere but highlighted how fun those teams were back then.

Yeah, and I wanna say that game ended 100-96, so it was really fun but also competitive.
Both teams just constantly sprinting up and down the floor.

It was just crazy how many dimes The General was dropping that day.
Droppin' dimes!! Droppin' dimes!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom