Favorite vacation destination you've been to

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
For something different, I recommend Molokai. The nice nine hole golf course is pretty much empty. Mocha Mamas is great for a cold drink. The beaches are long and deserted. You can actually make love in privacy on some. There is just one small hotel on the Island but there are plenty of places for rentals including beautiful beach houses. The Island was set aside for Native land allotments. There are no fancy restaurants or modern supermarkets. When I went, they did not even have internet. Parts of Jurassic Park were filmed there just off the old leper colony that the Island is known for.

Regarding Maui, the place to be is the up-country, above Makawao. The Thai Tea House and the Aloha House on Olinda Road are paradise.

For hiking, the American SW cannot be beat. My favorite is Cedar Mesa or Mesa Verde, which are now being rediscovered. In a class by themselves!!! Best National Parks are Arches and Bryce. For horseback riding try the dude ranches outside of Escalante. They ride through slot canyons.

For sailing, the Inside Passage from Seattle to Haines, AK

For Alaska; Denali and Katmai but we are talking big bucks to get here. For Kayaking; Wood Tic Chic, the 100 mile long series of lakes that form the headwaters of Bristol Bay. For fishing; Icy St. Take a charter out of Glacier Bay, or Elfin Cove, or Homer or Kodiak.

for nordic skiing; Eastern WA. Stay at Sun Mountain Lodge.

For heli-skiing; Mt Assinaboine Lodge outside of Canmore in the Canadian Rockies.

For downhill skiing; get a place in the Canadian Rockies such as Fernie or Beaver Lodge at Lake Louise and a rental car. Follow the snow reports.

Last edited:

cusefan88

All Conference
Any recs in Florence, Italy? Will be there in a few weeks. Mostly food please.

ConnectiCuse

Scout Team

L'Osteria di Giovanni - www.osteriadigiovanni.com
Osteria Zio Gigi - this place caters more to the locals but I thought it was really good (and inexpensive)

If you're planning to hit the museums and other sights, I thought the Firenze pass was a great deal. It lets you either skip the lines or get into a much shorter line at many of the attractions, although that is much more helpful during the summer months when the lines are outrageous. We got our passes at Santa Maria Novella which is (sort-of) across the street from the train station.

Last edited:

DMDMD

unencumbered by the thought process

Forza Azzurri

All Conference
Lived in Florence in the late 70s (Dante was writing the Divine Comedy at the time)...

Pinged my friends...

Here is list:

Cibreo
Borgo San Pietro
Fuor D'Acqua
I Fagioli
Perseus
Torcicoda
Cestello
Santo Bevitore
Enoteca Pinchiorri

Will update if more come in...

Last edited:

Ghost

Living Legend
New Zealand, specifically Queenstown. Incredibly beautiful and fun. Just wish it wasn't so far away.

Also, seconding Amsterdam. Loved the beer, weed, food, people, scenery, art...all of it.
I'd go with Amsterdam as well. Maybe a bit cliche as a pick, but I just love walking around there so much.

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
I'd go with Amsterdam as well. Maybe a bit cliche as a pick, but I just love walking around there so much.
My buddy moved there a year or 2 ago and I used it as a base camp for a 3 week journey. It's so clean and gorgeous.

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
My favorites would have to be Iceland or La Paz, Mexico. Iceland was back over a decade ago and it seems to be way more of a tourist destination now so don't imagine I'd have the same experience these days.

La Paz is just incredible. 2 hour drive from the Cabo airport. Can't beat it for the food, culture and scenery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Bottom