FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

FYI: Tom Winter is an NBC News Investigations reporter based in NYC focusing on Police, Courts, Corruption, Cyber Security, and Counter-terrorism stories across the Eastern U.S.

I wonder how much jail time these coaches might get, if any, and if they'll be slapped with a show-cause by the NCAA.

So. Which 'major sportswear company' has contracts with Auburn and OK State?
Auburn is Under Armour; Oklahoma State, Arizona, and USC-w are Nike. Our board said assistants ate Arizona and USC-w have been arrested, too.

pitino_v.jpg

hmmmm anyone notice who's missing here?? who in the Wide World could that be...??? hmmmm
Kansas/kentucky/duke honestly dont need crap like this to recruit.

Would be interesting to hear about Lsu, arkansas and wku though.

I wonder how much jail time these coaches might get, if any, and if they'll be slapped with a show-cause by the NCAA.

I'd be shocked not to see a show cause but this is the NCAA

Genuinely sorry to hear Tony's name get caught up in this. Seemed like a really good kid when he played here.

Really? I mean, I liked him well enough, but I think he later said that part of the reason for the transfer was that he'd been spending too much time running wild with Damone and DeShaun.

Anyway (with regard to the whole story, not Tony Bland) this is all very unsurprising. The only strange thing is that the feds are pursuing this. But it's a dirty game and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I guess corruption and fraud isn't in the NCAA's wheelhouse.
"It depends."

First and foremost, did anyone bring the allegations to the NCAA's attention? If so, did the NCAA call the FBI? Now, they're going to have to wait until this all goes through the trials before they can level any appropriate punishments.
What form did the corruption take? Was it in recruiting? Was it after the players involved were no longer eligible? How was it found? Through an undercover operation of the FBI?

I'd be shocked not to see a show cause but this is the NCAA
wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of these schools try to retain them after legal stuff (plea deals, etc) sorted out

This is admittedly a leap I'm making based on the limited amount of information available on this case, but it looks like the people involved left a paper trail where they shouldn't have. I mean if you don't know agents and shoe companies are involved in steering players to certain programs, you're not paying attention. That's what happens in the college hoops recruiting sausage factory.

The guys arrested are not from adidas schools. This is confusing. Ha

If these schools had used players that were paid to go there, aren't they going to have to face sanctions?

The honest services charge might be a stretch - track record on that charge has been very poor. Supreme court has been chipping away at it for many years. That said, these guys are screwed