FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

No. Still not accepting that there was nothing the NCAA could have done. They've actively turned a blind eye for decades.

Also, I'm Bruce Wayne. AKA Batman. AKA the world's greatest detective. So I know a thing or two about investigations, thank you very little.

Yeah it's a pathetic excuse. They choose who to go after. They didn't even want to go after UNC until the media forced their hand.

I agree which makes the commitments of top prospects look alarming.

You typically build up and then recruiting gets better.

Miami and USC are football schools and the fact they now were getting several top 100 basketball prospects looks weird. It doesn't shock if we find out the assistants were buying commitments.

Oh it definitely seems like they were now. Unfortunate.

Sure, they weren't publicly named. They are implicated though. The description of University 7 makes it pretty clear. Private University in Florida with approximately 16,000 students (Miami 16,848) that was competing with Arizona for a recruit.

Gotcha. Didn't see that. Thanks.

Mark we aren't likely involved in this.

JB hasn't been cheating in recruiting players. I don't see him having the patience to pay players to commit.

He is lax and treats his players like pros and isn't very discipline oriented but he wouldn't cheat like this.

We have been losing recruits so I actually think these indictments make him look better.

I think you make a lot of sense and desperately hope you're right. OTOH, it might explain why we can't afford the Dome renovation :) I kid, I kid...

So, I get shoe companies doing this to get a player to sign with them once they go pro... but could it be bigger than that? Adidas says "Hey man, let's funnel players to X school, get them in some final fours, now we're selling a ton of jerseys, clothing" wash rinse repeat?

Disclaimer - It;s only 9:20 here, I've only had a half a cup of coffee.

So, I get shoe companies doing this to get a player to sign with them once they go pro... but could it be bigger than that? Adidas says "Hey man, let's funnel players to X school, get them in some final fours, now we're selling a ton of jerseys, clothing" wash rinse repeat?

Close your blinds and shut off all the lights in your house.

We're getting to the bottom of this before noon.

no offense, but your comments read as coming from someone with no experience in investigations.

To quote Tom Cruise from A Few Good Men, "it doesn't matter what I know. It matters what I can prove."

The ways the NCAA is hamstrung are real and significant when it comes to investigations. It's like shooting a water gun at a grizzly bear. The FBI, on the other hand, is more like an assault rifle. The bear is in trouble.

When an organization like the NCAA is 'hamstrung' to fully investigate complaints, allegations because of systemic limitations shouldn't it have been a duty to call the FBI? Otherwise wouldn't they be considered complicit since they made money off their own silence? Thanks, just wondering, not being a legal beagle.

Then why would they have gone to Arizona under Miller?

These guys are going to sing and sing some more. Wouldn't be shocked if half the top 8 leagues are under some significant punishment when this is done.

why wasn't he arrested?
and blow the ongoing investigation?

As has been stated many times here, the FBI isn't particularly interested in a single coach paying a single player. they are collecting information/evidence to arrest/implicate the low hanging fruit with the hope/expectation that the low hanging fruit will implicate bigger fish. Combined with the tip line the FBI is putting out there, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Another leverage point I haven't seen mentioned much - there's no way the recuits and their families laundered the money, so they didn't pay taxes on it. That is a major leverage point the FBI can utilize and get the recruits and their families to divulge the various offers and players out there.

It could be a little like that, Troop......

The 8th school is sealed right now. It has to be the top dog.
I doubt it's Kansas though. I think it could be Indiana as Dan Dakich sounded worried.

Why seal #8? They didn't seal lville and they're pretty big.

When an organization like the NCAA is 'hamstrung' to fully investigate complaints, allegations because of systemic limitations shouldn't it have been a duty to call the FBI? Otherwise wouldn't they be considered complicit since they made money off their own silence? Thanks, just wondering, not being a legal beagle.

They would be complicit if they did not report the infractions to the authorities unless of course, they resided in Happy Valley.

My take away from all this . . . people are going to get arrested, athletic programs decimated, people are going to lose their jobs, and fans are going to be upset . . . and the crazy thing is that nobody actually did anything wrong! These kids deserve to be paid for the money they generate and the schools want to pay them.

The real "crime" here is that all the high major D1 schools just can't agree to come together, separate from the NCAA (and all the smaller schools) and come up with a set of rules everybody can agree on and follow. If they just do that, everything will be above board and everybody will be happy (and rich). If not, each and every school runs the risk of being taken down, and which school it happens to is nothing more than luck of the draw.

There are a set of rules: don’t bribe athletes with enormous sums of money to attend your school.

Should big time programs agree to pay athletes, say, $50,000 to attend their school? And then what happens when another school finds a way to slip an athlete another $50,000 on top of that?

Face it: Society is corrupt, not just college sports and alike.

As has been stated many times here, the FBI isn't particularly interested in a single coach paying a single player. they are collecting information/evidence to arrest/implicate the low hanging fruit with the hope/expectation that the low hanging fruit will implicate bigger fish. Combined with the tip line the FBI is putting out there, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Another leverage point I haven't seen mentioned much - there's no way the recuits and their families laundered the money, so they didn't pay taxes on it. That is a major leverage point the FBI can utilize and get the recruits and their families to divulge the various offers and players out there.

No, I mean arrested today. I was perusing the Louisville boards and they believe that Adidas was the one who paid and worked with the assistant coach to get Bowen. That's exactly what was going on with the other four coaches that got arrested.

Why seal #8? They didn't seal lville and they're pretty big.
They have a tip line and there are a lot of schools sweating right now. They are using a version of the prisoner's dilemma to encourage admissions/accusations.

Your last paragraph should scare the pants off of everyone on this board. Are we assuming every P5 program (plus Big East and others) is engaging in these shenanigans to some extent?

I get what you are saying, but no. The FBI isn't a referral service to throw the weight of the government and criminal investigations behind private regulatory organizations. The FBI had to decide on their own this was worth pursuing - which they clearly did. It is interesting to me that they kept the NCAA completely in the dark until this morning.

For those of you who enjoy indulging in day dreaming about the demise of the NCAA, if I were you I'd focus on the possibility (and this is just my own idle speculative fantasy) that some of these schools have bought off individuals with the NCAA enforcement department. Things like getting tips, or know where/when the NCAA was looking at something. I saw something recently (Last Chance U maybe?) where supposedly one of the SEC schools paid for one of their grads to go to law school and work for the NCAA, essentially as an enbedded mole. Sounds far fetched but juuuuuust vaguely plausible. Maybe the FBI didn't trust the NCAA.

I totally agree with you. The real problem with the NCAA is that they represent small schools who actually want amateur athletics as well as big schools who make tens of millions off this business. It is impossible to do what is best for both, they are too fundamentally different, so it is literally impossible for the NCAA to succeed at what they are trying to do.

We need a new version of the NCAA exists just to police the big schools who want to make a big business out of this. That's what I want to see happen, and more importantly, I want rules that make sense for those schools. Sure some schools will break them, but then we will all know those schools are wrong and they should be punished. It would be very different than it is now where you have to break the rules in order to compete.

Also policing 60-70 big schools who are all playing by the same rules is a more easily accomplished job than policing many hundreds of schools all at different levels with different rules.
Good points. You caught me before I was done .. I added a couple lines to say about the same thing you post here.

No, I mean arrested today. I was perusing the Louisville boards and they believe that Adidas was the one who paid and worked with the assistant coach to get Bowen. That's exactly what was going on with the other four coaches that got arrested.
gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I don't know the answer to that.