FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

I get what you are saying, but no. The FBI isn't a referral service to throw the weight of the government and criminal investigations behind private regulatory organizations. The FBI had to decide on their own this was worth pursuing - which they clearly did. It is interesting to me that they kept the NCAA completely in the dark until this morning.

For those of you who enjoy indulging in day dreaming about the demise of the NCAA, if I were you I'd focus on the possibility (and this is just my own idle speculative fantasy) that some of these schools have bought off individuals with the NCAA enforcement department. Things like getting tips, or know where/when the NCAA was looking at something. I saw something recently (Last Chance U maybe?) where supposedly one of the SEC schools paid for one of their grads to go to law school and work for the NCAA, essentially as an enbedded mole. Sounds far fetched but juuuuuust vaguely plausible. Maybe the FBI didn't trust the NCAA.

This was my first thought. The NCAA was in the dark because the FBI suspected leaks. Having just finished up Season 3 of Narcos last night my immediate thought was that the NCAA is just like the Columbian government during the Medellin and Cali Cartel days.

This from Syracuse.com story... references a 2018 Miami recruiting target and a "rival school affiliated with a shoe company offering $150,000." Is that Jalen Carey? If so, is Syracuse or UConn the rival school? What other major targets is Miami trying to get for 2018?

"Along with Louisville, the men are alleged to have conspired to pay $150,000 to a player's family in order to get him to commit to the University of Miami in the Class of 2018.

The charges allege that the request came with the knowledge of a coach within the University of Miami program.

Code reportedly said that the coach, "knows something gotta happen for it to get done."

In the charges, Code is reported as saying that a school affiliated with a rival shoe company was offering $150,000 for a commitment.

In another conversation allegedly recorded on a wiretap, Code worries that the asking price might rise to $200,000 and says that, if it does, Adidas won't pay.

The charges do not specifically name the player or say whether he is currently at the University of Miami."
The whole "3 deep" posse for the Carey visit is starting to make sense . . .

Suspended? LOL
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 2.06.47 PM.png
"it's the sec, if you aint cheating you aren't trying." - Sir Charles Barkley

This from Syracuse.com story... references a 2018 Miami recruiting target and a "rival school affiliated with a shoe company offering $150,000." Is that Jalen Carey? If so, is Syracuse or UConn the rival school? What other major targets is Miami trying to get for 2018?

What shoe company is Miami?

This was my first thought. The NCAA was in the dark because the FBI suspected leaks. Having just finished up Season 3 of Narcos last night my immediate thought was that the NCAA is just like the Columbian government during the Medellin and Cali Cartel days.
Maybe the Feds are ultimately aiming for the NCAA itself as a tax-avoidance haven? Assuming that the NCAA knew and refused to do anything?

So... dumb question, and no, I haven't had the chance to read any articles yet, but why is this in the jurisdiction of the FBI?

Public school gets Fed financial aid money. Goes toward paying an athlete's scholarship. Adidas gives athlete $100k to go to that public school. Feds money still goes to school. Money could go to a different student.
That and the other stuff (wire fraud, blah blah blah)

The whole "3 deep" posse for the Carey visit is starting to make sense . . .
Could also be in theory Ayla...the way it's worded in the filing makes it seem like they could pay for him in 2018 budget wise but 2017 is harder. Could also mean it's an '18 kid but they could pay the money later vs. now.

Most agencies/departments do not disclose info related to investigations to people who have no legal interest in the investigation. The NCAA was likely kept in the dark because they had no info related to the case and had no direct interest in the case. Since there was UC work going on here, the FBI would tell as few people as possible so as to not taint the investigation. Most investigations are kept quiet since disclosing any info could potentially derail it.

Public school gets Fed financial aid money. Goes toward paying an athlete's scholarship. Adidas gives athlete $100k to go to that public school. Feds money still goes to school. Money could go to a different student.
That and the other stuff (wire fraud, blah blah blah)

I think the jurisdiction comes from interstate fraud and wire fraud. Nothing to do with financial aid.

The P5's walking from the NCAA seems more and more like a matter of "when" not "if". The major problem I have with that is there is no way to tell what kind of restrictions on underhanded stuff, if any are put on it at all, will be written by the $EC and B1G, who will be running the show. The Texas schools also live by the $EC's byword, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'," as well. While I fully understand and accept why you folks are angry with the NCAA, to me it's purely a case of "better the devil you know".

No doubt! It's already difficult for a relatively small private institution as Syracuse to compete with the seemingly bottomless pit of funds the state schools have. I don't see how a breakaway is of any benefit to schools in SU's boat, but only further separation.

Bilas and Greenberg in espn just now basically said the head coaches, pitino in particular, are screwed. an asst does something wrong, it also falls on the HC per NCAA rules.

So how does this work for the kids that took money? It's not an NCAA investigation but if a kid is found to have had a parent take money I'm guessing they are going to be ruled ineligible for the coming season. It will be interesting to see how quickly names of money recipients come out and how quickly the NCAA will move. I really have no idea as this seems like uncharted territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom