FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

Bilas and Greenberg in espn just now basically said the head coaches, pitino in particular, are screwed. an asst does something wrong, it also falls on the HC per NCAA rules.

If it fell on Boeheim about Fine, then it falls on Pitino et al for their assistants. Pitino will be done, I have no doubt.

This from Syracuse.com story... references a 2018 Miami recruiting target and a "rival school affiliated with a shoe company offering $150,000." Is that Jalen Carey? If so, is Syracuse or UConn the rival school? What other major targets is Miami trying to get for 2018?

"Along with Louisville, the men are alleged to have conspired to pay $150,000 to a player's family in order to get him to commit to the University of Miami in the Class of 2018.

The charges allege that the request came with the knowledge of a coach within the University of Miami program.

Code reportedly said that the coach, "knows something gotta happen for it to get done."

In the charges, Code is reported as saying that a school affiliated with a rival shoe company was offering $150,000 for a commitment.

In another conversation allegedly recorded on a wiretap, Code worries that the asking price might rise to $200,000 and says that, if it does, Adidas won't pay.

The charges do not specifically name the player or say whether he is currently at the University of Miami."

Lonnie Walker... Arizona was in contention for him and the favorite to land him, then he signed with Miami. Looks like Zona didn't up it to 200k.

yooo...seriously, you guys should go check out the UoL s$out board...they really are in straight denial...pure comedy

If it fell on Boeheim about Fine, then it falls on Pitino et al for their assistants. Pitino will be done, I have no doubt.
I'm not sure Pitino makes it through today let alone to the start of the season. There is just no way.

I think the jurisdiction comes from interstate fraud and wire fraud. Nothing to do with financial aid.
Nope, the first few pages of the indictment are all about how the schools received financial aid from the federal government in an amount greater than $10,000. That is the FBI's opening.
It was a part and object of the conspiracy that LAMONT EVANS, EMANUEL RICHARDSON, a/k/a "Book," and ANTHONY BLAND, a/k/a "Tony," the defendants, being agents of organizations that received, in a one-year period, benefits in excess of $10,000 under a Federal program involving a grant, contract, subsidy, loan, guarantee, insurance, and other form of Federal assistance, to wit, University-2, University-3, University-4, and University-5 ...

I really want to know how Fraschilla was tipped off on this...
In all this, this is the most interesting question for me...

Also, i have noticed over the years that people that say stuff like this (when they really should not know) are often the reporting party...

Most agencies/departments do not disclose info related to investigations to people who have no legal interest in the investigation. The NCAA was likely kept in the dark because they had no info related to the case and had no direct interest in the case. Since there was UC work going on here, the FBI would tell as few people as possible so as to not taint the investigation. Most investigations are kept quiet since disclosing any info could potentially derail it.

Yeah but I like the Hollywood 'mole' & Narcos version better.

He has no duty to keep the info quiet. His source, if discovered, might have a problem, but not sure I see a problem for Fraschilla.

Agreed, he is under no obligation to keep quiet. Though it probably was the FBI that told him to shut up

Lonnie Walker... Arizona was in contention for him and the favorite to land him, then he signed with Miami. Looks like Zona didn't up it to 200k.

Yep. As I said, Jay Wright told a guy I know in no uncertain terms that Walker was going to Arizona. Then Walker wound up at the U. Wright was shocked and he was very close to the Walker family/situation.

Crazy to think Fraschilla would know about it, but somehow the NCAA was in the dark?

I'd be willing to bet the NCAA knew something was up. Today was just the day that it became official.

Crazy to think Fraschilla would know about it, but somehow the NCAA was in the dark?

I'd be willing to bet the NCAA knew something was up. Today was just the day that it became official.

Agreed, FF could not be so naive as to post on Twitter what he did without having thought it through fully. Certainly not than he knew about this.

The question though is, does he have any specific allegiances? Paisan with Pitino or Calipari, anything else whereby others could have benefited from his knowledge..

Nasir Little. It has been confirmed, a number of times.

DG1HwfUVoAAqOKM.jpg