Few Thoughts and theories on recent stuff | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Few Thoughts and theories on recent stuff

The next guy needs to be someone with experience building a program, preferably at the high-major level. UNC, Duke and Louisville might figure it out eventually but they’re going through it right now, to say nothing of Georgetown.

I'll never understand points like your 2nd one. This has been an irrelevant program for close to a decade now. What exactly do you think gets worse? We can continue to see this team finish in the bottom half of the conference? Fail to make the postseason? Fail to improve recruiting? What gets worse and why?
I don't think you understand what the definition of "irrelevant" is. We haven't been close to irrelevant the last decade. Not as successful as the prior 10 years? Sure. Irrelevant? Not even close.

This isn't about "1 more season". This is about the depths to which this program has fallen. Since Hop left (when Jim was supposed to step away) in the six seasons they have 2 wins in the tournament and more importantly, only been to the tourney twice. Two times. And I'm counting the Covid season as missing because they weren't making it. They haven't won a conference tournament since joinging the ACC. They haven't been ranked in 4 years. They don't have anyone currently on an NBA roster outside of Jerami Grant. This program is IRRELEVANT in the college basketball landscape.
Oh, and Saint Peter's has more tourney wins since 2017 than Cuse.
Brissett is on a roster too. Not sure if mentioned as just discovered this thread and didnt read all 6p.

Surprised I missed this today.

Brissett is on a roster too. Not sure if mentioned as just discovered this thread and didnt read all 6p.

Surprised I missed this today.
not just on a roster, he's been a spot starter for 2 years running and will get paid big $$ on a second contract.

Also, Buddy and Swider have spent half the season on their team's bench as well.

not just on a roster, he's been a spot starter for 2 years running and will get paid big $$ on a second contract.

Also, Buddy and Swider have spent half the season on their team's bench as well.
Wait, what? Buddy has not spent half the season in the NBA. He was up for 4 games in October and that’s it as far as I can tell.

If boeheim has a buyout the chancellor should be fired

Having said that I’m in for another 5 year contract for him so he doesn’t get seduced by the Rochester job he almost took in 1975
Savage

If boeheim has a buyout the chancellor should be fired

Having said that I’m in for another 5 year contract for him so he doesn’t get seduced by the Rochester job he almost took in 1975
It’s a standard contract provision, minimum seems to be the greater of a year’s salary or whatever is left in the contract, https:/watchstadium-college-basketball.com.

It’s a standard contract provision, minimum seems to be the greater of a year’s salary or whatever is left in the contract, https:/watchstadium-college-basketball.com.
Plus to get Sean Miller SU would have to pay his buyout at his current school.

And that’s the thing. If it’s likely that Miller’s buyout is going to be re-upped in 2 years, then the administration needs to be up front with JB and they need to act NOW.

Agreed if he refuses to retire they may have to pay the remaining year or 2 on a contract, I dont remember hearing any extensions being announced in recent years since the one in 17.

And you cited that SU bball is 4th in revenue, correct? Then they should have the money to buyout another coachs contract.

1st off I would like JB to have 1 more year with any of this group that stays and see what he can do. ... JW and people maybe slow playing this too make sure without a doubt that have the guy. Right now they maybe perfectly fine with JB pushing out another year
Well said. JB can stay for as long as he wants IMO. He has earned it.

Definitely unfortunate that the year both his sons were on the team, the team results were historically bad. Then Buddy gets suspended. Not a great look.

Unfortunate that we have pretty much sucked our whole ACC tenure, averaging something like 13/14 losses a season and well on our way to another of those.

But, after 47 years, he has earned it. He should leave when he wants, and even have a 'say' in his replacement. The stones, fire and pitchforks is not a good look for the community and media.

Seems like he is ready to go. He bought that place in Skanaetles. I assume he is hoping for one more tourney run. If Mintz and Edwards return, they have a good chance.

Last edited:
By contract he will spend half the season with the main club.
I don't think you have any clue what a two-way contract is. Buddy has played 1 minute of a blowout loss in the 2nd game of the season with the Pistons. He could theoretically play up to 50 games per his contract. Given they have played 55 games thus far and he's played 1 minute, that seems pretty unlikely. He's been a full time G Leaguer since the winter showcase started.

Nope. I will just move on.

I like the progress. His loyalty to Bennie and Bell really hurt us this year, but if loyalty is one of your major faults, your okay. He hit gold with Mintz, Taylor and Brown, and Hima was an under the radar steal. The other 3 just have to want to improve, and really do what it takes to get there.
Gold? See this is where I just flat disagree with some of the talent evaluation here.

Mintz absolutely has the ability to be great at times, and if he stays he could be great consistently. Gold, for sure.

Taylor? Meh. He's an OK player today. Very inconsistent and with several notable flaws. If he stays then he may be a strong 30+ minute/game guy by his mid-junior year.

Brown is a grinder and I like him. On past SU teams he'd have been an awesome 7th or 8th man who got 15 minutes/game. Similar to Taylor, by his junior year he may be complete enough to be a meaningful all-around contributor.

Hima's just a guy. I love the motor. But he's just a guy.

Agreed if he refuses to retire they may have to pay the remaining year or 2 on a contract, I dont remember hearing any extensions being announced in recent years since the one in 17.

And you cited that SU bball is 4th in revenue, correct? Then they should have the money to buyout another coachs contract.
They were 4th in the 2021 article I cited. It’s literally true that they should have the money but I’d wager most of the net revenue is already budgeted for other parts of the athletic department or the university generally. Maybe SU has accrued for a coaching change but I doubt it. Maybe a donor will step up like they do in the SEC.
I’m not arguing for or against anything regarding JB’s tenure, just pointing out this is a lot more complicated than saying just make him retire and bring in someone like Miller. It’s a multimillion dollar decision for a school that historically has not tossed around $ lightly on salaries or paid coaches not to coach. JW and Syverud aren’t making that call without without substantial BOT input and sign off.

And that’s the thing. If it’s likely that Miller’s buyout is going to be re-upped in 2 years, then the administration needs to be up front with JB and they need to act NOW.
If I had to guess the longer he stays at Xavier and keeps out of trouble the less his buyout is because he’ll have more leverage. Flip side is more schools will be looking to hire him away so price goes up.

Gold? See this is where I just flat disagree with some of the talent evaluation here.

Mintz absolutely has the ability to be great at times, and if he stays he could be great consistently. Gold, for sure.

Taylor? Meh. He's an OK player today. Very inconsistent and with several notable flaws. If he stays then he may be a strong 30+ minute/game guy by his mid-junior year.

Brown is a grinder and I like him. On past SU teams he'd have been an awesome 7th or 8th man who got 15 minutes/game. Similar to Taylor, by his junior year he may be complete enough to be a meaningful all-around contributor.

I share the same evaluation. Yet Infanti and Scibilia were arguing you can't clean house because you could lose this core group of players and I'm like these players aren't trajectory changing players! Im not turning down someone with head coaching experience that could have long term results just to keep a few JAGs from leaving in the short term.

I share the same evaluation. Yet Infanti and Scibilia were arguing you can't clean house because you could lose this core group of players and I'm like these players aren't trajectory changing players! Im not turning down someone with head coaching experience that could have long term results just to keep a few JAGs from leaving in the short term.
They were also saying that everyone clamoring for Boeheim to be gone should bear in mind that it can always get worse, just look at Louisville and Georgetown... without considering the fact that those programs are run by accomplished former players without previous head coaching experience!

Most guys stay with the school, especially if the guy coming in is an accomplished coach.

It's understandable that there will likely be down year as the new coach gets his team and roster situated. Not every school has had a coach stay for 47 years. If you look back at "good" schools, a lot of have had a losing record and most times it's been during a coaching switch.

I'm starting to like the Sean Miller idea. The guy can coach and run a high D1 program. Not sure if the BOT wants to deal with the baggage though. Gmac or Red are the lazy choice.

Man we are pathetic. Hima is avg 1 pt and 2 boards a game as a Soph on a bad, not even bubble Cuse team and some people are calling him a steal in the portal lol. Our standards have went down the shitter so bad for so long now that we have barely even noticed it happen.

I think fans are underselling Brown and Taylor. Brown is having a great freshmen season. Taylor is shooting 44% from 3 outside of position. There's a lot of problems with the program, but they are having pretty good freshmen seasons by most standards and better than a lot of guys who have had great careers here.

I personally don't think Mintz is a great PG and we cannot count on Hima to be our center going forward, but you might want to check how some previous freshmen played here if you don't think Brown or Taylor are anything better than a 7th or 8th man here.

I think fans are underselling Brown and Taylor. Brown is having a great freshmen season. Taylor is shooting 44% from 3 outside of position. There's a lot of problems with the program, but they are having pretty good freshmen seasons by most standards and better than a lot of guys who have had great careers here.

I personally don't think Mintz is a great PG and we cannot count on Hima to be our center going forward, but you might want to check how some previous freshmen played here if you don't think Brown or Taylor are anything better than a 7th or 8th man here.
My point was that neither Brown nor Taylor even see the floor their freshman year back when we had much more talent in the program. I like both of them, and I think they could be good contributors some day. But we've had a lot of Browns and Taylors in this program going back decades, and it's likely that few of them ever got the minutes they have this season. And that's part of our problem.

I don’t know if Sean Miller or someone on his staff designed the plays at Zona, but they were awesome. I’d watch them on YouTube and then apply it for my use. Him and Painter are 2 of my favorites to watch their kids run offense or baseline/sideline stuff.

He would be a home run hire and Cuse would immediately be a top 20 team. I’m not dead set against Autry like some, but if miller is available you have to take him.

It would be sad that it isn’t a “Cuse” guy anymore, but maybe Buddy comes back and takes over in 20 years. Then my kids have to one day talk about Buddy staying on too long after his prime.

Well said. JB can stay for as long as he wants IMO. He has earned it.

Definitely unfortunate that the year both his sons were on the team, the team results were historically bad. Then Buddy gets suspended. Not a great look.

Unfortunate that we have pretty much sucked our whole ACC tenure, averaging something like 13/14 losses a season and well on our way to another of those.

But, after 47 years, he has earned it. He should leave when he wants, and even have a 'say' in his replacement. The stones, fire and pitchforks is not a good look for the community and media.

Seems like he is ready to go. He bought that place in Skanaetles. I assume he is hoping for one more tourney run. If Mintz and Edwards return, they have a good chance.
Gotta disagree here. Jimmy has earned the right to be retired respectfully, not to stay as long as he wants.

I am sure any search committee for a new coach would be looking for input from Jimmy, but there is no point in Jimmy’s retiring if the successor is totally inbred to the program.

clearly change is needed unless the goal is perpetual mediocrity.

The basic fact is that the game has evolved both on the court and off the court in terms of recruiting.

Unless a successor is able to embrace those changes we will remain stuck in the mud of past glories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom