FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Celtic might avoid relegation In the EPL and he on par with West Ham. Rangers currently aren't the Rangers you remember them to be five years ago.If you stacked MLS vs SPL I would take the MLS to win more than half though, just not whomever was playing Celtic.
Celtic certainly are not the old Celtic either sadly

I love that damn stadium though.

Good post but the problem is not MLS, it is our youth system or, more accurately, the lack thereof.

Google "De Toekomst" or "La Masia".

I'm late to this thread but this post is spot on. Let me elaborate.

We're Americans. We like "winning." In youth soccer, majority of clubs are run by fees paid by parents. They want to win so the coach puts it kids that are early developers and they just boot the ball down field. Development is stunted because of this.

As for MLS, the status quo is achieved by overpaying foreign imports and average college players. MLS teams still don't see selling players to bigger leagues as a viable revenue stream. The lack of quality youth coaches is potentially the biggest problem in this. Also, teams don't have a plan to develop a homegrown player. Wil Trapp, Luis Gil, DeAndre Yedlin are exceptions. Most youth players languish in obscurity because the teams are too stupid to loan them or get them the precious game experience they need.

Lastly, US Soccer is equally as guilty in this. Take Tab Ramos for example. He's the Under-20 natl team coach. How did he get this job? He's an ex-player who knows the right people. His coaching resume prior to U20 was pathetic. He beat up on bad NJ high school teams. When the US played Spain in the U20 WC, he tried to play a 4-3-3 with two DM's as center backs and man marking on Gerard Deloufeu (Barelona-Everton loan) and Jese Rodriguez (RM stud). US got smoked, the tactics were laughable.

If you want to learn more about youth soccer and those trying to change it, read howsyourtouch.wordpress.com and follow Gary Kleiban on twitter (@3four3). One of his players, Ben Lederman, left his youth team...because he got accepted into Barcelon'a La Masia academy.

-end rant-

We're Americans. We like "winning." In youth soccer, majority of clubs are run by fees paid by parents. They want to win so the coach puts it kids that are early developers and they just boot the ball down field. Development is stunted because of this.

As for MLS, the status quo is achieved by overpaying foreign imports and average college players. MLS teams still don't see selling players to bigger leagues as a viable revenue stream. The lack of quality youth coaches is potentially the biggest problem in this. Also, teams don't have a plan to develop a homegrown player. Wil Trapp, Luis Gil, DeAndre Yedlin are exceptions. Most youth players languish in obscurity because the teams are too stupid to loan them or get them the precious game experience they need.

Lastly, US Soccer is equally as guilty in this. Take Tab Ramos for example. He's the Under-20 natl team coach. How did he get this job? He's an ex-player who knows the right people. His coaching resume prior to U20 was pathetic. He beat up on bad NJ high school teams. When the US played Spain in the U20 WC, he tried to play a 4-3-3 with two DM's as center backs and man marking on Gerard Deloufeu (Barelona-Everton loan) and Jese Rodriguez (RM stud). US got smoked, the tactics were laughable.

If you want to learn more about youth soccer and those trying to change it, read howsyourtouch.wordpress.com and follow Gary Kleiban on twitter (@3four3). One of his players, Ben Lederman, left his youth team...because he got accepted into Barcelon'a La Masia academy.

-end rant-
Our group at the U-20 World Cup had 2 of the 4 semifinalists it was crazy. Spain, Ghana destroyed us. Our youth system really sucks and your right. The teams in MLS don't develop young players and our young talent doesn't get developed and that is why Klinsmann has scoured every available German-American youth player with talent to play for the USA. Its why Julian Greene and John Anthony Brooks(both German dual citizens at 19 and 20 years old got spots on the WC roster over better help for now) Brooks scored that goal but he was a real shocker on the roster. The USA youth systems in this country are our biggest problem which is I said develop academies in Florida and California like IMG sports agency does for basketball and tennis prospects.

Our group at the U-20 World Cup had 2 of the 4 semifinalists it was crazy. Spain, Ghana destroyed us. Our youth system really sucks and your right. The teams in MLS don't develop young players and our young talent doesn't get developed and that is why Klinsmann has scoured every available German-American youth player with talent to play for the USA. Its why Julian Greene and John Anthony Brooks(both German dual citizens at 19 and 20 years old got spots on the WC roster over better help for now) Brooks scored that goal but he was a real shocker on the roster. The USA youth systems in this country are our biggest problem which is I said develop academies in Florida and California like IMG sports agency does for basketball and tennis prospects.

We have a huge country which makes talent ID'ing very tough. I'd argue we need at least 30 of those training facilities to cover our country. The land is vast and it's too easy for a player to fall through the cracks. Mexican clubs are poaching talent all the time.

I'm optimistic Klinsmann can improve the coaching curriculum/evalutation because he comes from Europe and understands the mentality and support needed to develop good pros.

-end rant-
This is why it's funny to me when people rant about Klinsmann getting players who grew up in Germany to play for us. They are more equipped to the international game and I'd rather have a player used to playing the high press style Germany has become famous for that Jurgen wants to employ. Give me an unproven Julian Green who has grown in the Bayern youth system than a kid who played D1 soccer any day.

the US has a long ways to go to get the best talent to even try the sport. almost all youth sports are poorly coached these days but soccer has probably even more of the mentality of every one can play so kids would never even try to play other sports now play soccer and that brings in more parent who end up coaching. add in the lack of plays that make kids want to play, you can whole games and hardly touch the ball.

Ghana

If they win this game they will snatch that 2nd spot IMO.

Wow. Beating Germany. : 0

Ghana really messed up that last big attack they had! It was like a 4 v 2 and the guy on the ball passed it to a man offside. Could have been the match winner.

Still, fantastic match. Let's get three points tomorrow and advance! USA USA USA!

Our win looks a lot more impressive now. Regardless of the outcome of this game, Ghana is LEGIT.

I know people said they were good but they look every bit the team Germany is today.

What makes our win impressive is that we did it without our best striker and with a hobbled Dempsey. Germany needed all their talent to fend off Ghana's charge. Bottom line, this game further opened the door for us to slam it shut on Portugal. We cannot allow ourselves to do worse than a draw, but we should accept nothing less than a historic victory.

I used to think Italy was the worst but in recent years I think there are a crap load of countries that are worst then Italy, including Portugal, I'm not going to be at all surprised if we get some sort of bogus Red card or crap penalty call against us in the Portugal game. The call yesterday was a fricking joke, I wish fims were reviewed each game and an obvious dive like Fred's gets you a 2 game suspension ( yea i know fifa will never do it )
Regardless of dives the USA has only two chances to win this coming game. Slim and none. Slim has left town None is confused and will be praying the entire day on knees.

CanadianSU said:
So whoever wins: USA or Portugal Gets second.

Not necessarily but I know that's what you hope. US wins tomorrow even a tie against Germany gets them first.

I was saying before if Ghana was in a different group they could be legit contenders honestly to reach the quarterfinals and beyond. They are the best African squad IMO by a distance they have a lot legit Champions League talent and their coaching is good.
If we beat Portugal tomorrow we can play Germany for a draw and honestly do some real damage in this WC. A potential round of 16 match against Russia or South Korea doesn't really scare me. We played Russia to a 2-2 draw in Russia in November 2012. If we can beat Portugal the USA could really have a chance to play France in the quarterfinals. If we finish first in our group we are on the same side as Brasil potentially if we finish 2nd we are looking at Belgium, Argentina to the semifinals.

We just need to beat that wounded duck Portugal and give ourselves a chance to guarantee advancement and a chance to win the group. That Ghana win look a lot more legit now. They were the better team against the USA and Germany and only have 1 point. France looks like the best squad right now but Brasil is still my overwhelming favorite.

CaliCuse said:
Regardless of dives the USA has only two chances to win this coming game. Slim and none. Slim has left town None is confused and will be praying the entire day on knees.

Don't watch much soccer Cali?