FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

If the USA draws Portugal tomorrow we are real GOOD shape. Ghana would have to make up a 2 goal differential with the USA and beat Portugal while the USA could play for a draw against Germany who would win the group with a draw as well.

Regardless of dives the USA has only two chances to win this coming game. Slim and none. Slim has left town None is confused and will be praying the entire day on knees.
Your probably said the same thing in 2002 then this happened.

Portugal is a good team but they are down their starting 2 centerbacks and one other starter we can beat them.

Disappointing first World Cup for Bosnia...

Goal that was onside disallowed...
Post in the last second of the game...

Idk, I don't think we will see them in France Euro 2016.

We're in great shape right now but will have a hard time winning a tie breaker over Ghana if it comes to that.

We are +1 right now. They are -1. For Ghana to get to 4 points implies they are AT WORST level on GD. If we are stuck at 4 it implies we are AT BEST level.

If it goes to total goals, we have 2, they have 3. For Ghana to get to 4 points implies they score AT WORST 4 goals. So if it reaches that third tiebreaker, we'd need to score at least 2 goals in the next two games.

Then we'd win on H2H.

We're in great shape right now but will have a hard time winning a tie breaker over Ghana if it comes to that.

We are +1 right now. They are -1. For Ghana to get to 4 points implies they are AT WORST level on GD. If we are stuck at 4 it implies we are AT BEST level.

If it goes to total goals, we have 2, they have 3. For Ghana to get to 4 points implies they score AT WORST 4 goals. So if it reaches that third tiebreaker, we'd need to score at least 2 goals in the next two games.

Then we'd win on H2H.

We need to throw caution to the wind tomorrow and swarm Portugal. Get the six points and nothing else matters. We can beat them. We are fully capable. I hope our defense can play straight up and allow our middies and forwards to do their thing.

If the USA draws Portugal tomorrow we are real GOOD shape. Ghana would have to make up a 2 goal differential with the USA and beat Portugal while the USA could play for a draw against Germany who would win the group with a draw as well.
The question is then if tied in goal differential - what is the next tiebreaker? Head to head?

The question is then if tied in goal differential - what is the next tiebreaker? Head to head?
Poppy nailed this one he correctly said the first tiebreak is goal difference and the second tiebreaker is goals scored which Ghana has 3 right now and we have 2.
Basically the USA needs 2 points from 2 matches and we are a lock. Either 2 draws, 1 win or draw against Portugal and Portugal beats Ghana by 1 goal or Ghana-Portugal draw.

Answer: the greatest number of goals in group matches. Which means, we need more goals...or equal the total number of goals they score, which then means...

Head to head goals.

Bottom line: Beat Portugal

If we don't win, we have to tie and hope Portugal beats Ghana like 1-0 and we draw Germany. I don't think we draw Germany.

I
Answer: the greatest number of goals in group matches. Which means, we need more goals...or equal the total number of goals they score, which then means...

Head to head goals.

Bottom line: Beat Portugal

If we don't win, we have to tie and hope Portugal beats Ghana like 1-0 and we draw Germany. I don't think we draw Germany.
If we draw Portugal and Portugal beats Ghana short of Germany housing us we should be fine. All we need is at least 1 point tomorrow go look at the 2010 Chile-Spain match once it was obvious Chile and Spain in their final match it was 2-1 Spain and Chile stopped trying because they had GD advantage over Switzerland if the Swiss only scored 1 goal over Honduras. Germany-USA could see the same thing if both teams need a draw and if Germany would win the group with a draw they wouldn't push it like the Spanish did against Chile in 2010.

I

If we draw Portugal and Portugal beats Ghana short of Germany housing us we should be fine. All we need is at least 1 point tomorrow go look at the 2010 Chile-Spain match once it was obvious Chile and Spain in their final match it was 2-1 Spain and Chile stopped trying because they had GD advantage over Switzerland if the Swiss only scored 1 goal over Honduras. Germany-USA could see the same thing if both teams need a draw and if Germany would win the group with a draw they wouldn't push it like the Spanish did against Chile in 2010.
538 breaks it down.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/germanys-draw-didnt-help-the-u-s/

I

You're right. We really only need to draw Portugal, but I'd rather we go all out and get the win. End all speculation tomorrow. I think Klinsmann smells blood and will have our boys fired up.

If we only manage a draw, we'll tie Gemany in points and turn the Portugal v Ghana match into a firestorm. Portugal will have to destroy Ghana to have a chance, and don't think they won't try to do just that. Plus, Ghana will be down one of their best players due to the second yellow he got today. The US controls their own destiny right now and that's all you can really ask for. Now they need to play up to the challenge.

Portugal are as mentally soft as Ryan Leaf. People seemed to forget that when trying to label this the group of death. A group stage knockout of Portugal certainly shouldn't surprise anyone as much as Spain, England, and possibly Italy going home early. They are truly a one man team and that one man couldnt give less of a damn about this Portugal team.

This is a good explanation of the various scenarios.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/germanys-draw-didnt-help-the-u-s/

Thats a good read but fails to consider/mention that a draw vs Portugal could be a 2-2 or 3-3 affair just as easily as 0-0 or 1-1 which of course would give us the tie breaker over Ghana barring them dismantling Portugal while the Germans do the same to us. If we aren't on six points tomorrow the Portuguese would still have something to play for and they are the only team in our group that can actually match Ghana's speed.

End game the Yanks and the Krauts will go through and the speedsters will be heading home.

Thats a good read but fails to consider/mention that a draw vs Portugal could be a 2-2 or 3-3 affair
When Phil Jackson was doing his Zen Master schtick with the Bulls in the 1990s, Knicks coach Pat Riley said something to the effect of "the mysticism is all well and good but they are just going to give the ball to Jordan and get out of the way when things get tough." Portugal will do same thing with Ronaldo. Ronaldo is going to run at our defense 15 or 20 times. I think we're going to need to a high-scoring game to get a win or draw because he is going to get through once or twice. 2-2 feels about right.

Hoping for Wondo over Aron too.

Last edited:
I want Zusi for Bedoya and Clint in Jozy's spot, and Johannsson in Clint's spot. Windo is your prototypical AAAA baseball player he is good in the MLS but not good enough to play as a starter in Europe.

I would have liked things a lot better had Germany taken care of business yesterday. First 10 minutes will be crucial today. Portugal should play with a sense of desperation and I expect them to be aggressive from the first whistle. I'd also expect the crowd to favor them as well given the Portuguese-Brazil connections. Great day for football. We'll see.

The USA will have more fans in Manuas. I doubt the Brazilians will care about Portugal we have to keep the Portugese off the scoreboard in the first 20 minutes and to prevent Ronaldo counter attacks as Portugal will need to be aggressive and we should be able to counter. I heard on Twitter Bruno Alves is out of the Portugal starting XI as well which hurts the Portugal defense.

The USA will have more fans in Manuas. I doubt the Brazilians will care about Portugal we have to keep the Portugese off the scoreboard in the first 20 minutes and to prevent Ronaldo counter attacks as Portugal will need to be aggressive and we should be able to counter. I heard on Twitter Bruno Alves is out of the Portugal starting XI as well which hurts the Portugal defense.
http://theportugalnews.com/news/portuguese-among-those-who-purchased-fewest-world-cup-tickets/31874

Belgium play with no sense of urgency at all in the first 60 minutes of their matches. I'm a lot less impressed with them then I thought I would be given the talent on that roster.

Belgium play with no sense of urgency at all in the first 60 minutes of their matches. I'm a lot less impressed with them then I thought I would be given the talent on that roster.
Belgium has the 5th most talent in the tournament according to ESPN SPI and they are the 6th favorite in betting to win the World Cup. They have a ton of talent, but haven't been in the WC since 2002 and only Kompany from Man City looks composed.

The USA will have more fans in Manuas. I doubt the Brazilians will care about Portugal.
Neutrals go for Portugal. Half the Brazilian population has Portuguese ancestry and there are more Portuguese nationals in Brazil than any other nationality (I'm not an expert on Brazil demographics -- Got that off Wikipedia. hehe). It probably doesn't matter. USMNT is more than accustomed to playing and winning in hostile environments and our fans will represent.

South Korea-Algeria game is spry. Good viewing.

They have enough talent to win it all. I'm surprised by the lethargy as well.