FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Ian Darke ‏@IanDarke 6m
TV ratings for World Cup in America on ESPN hitting dizzy heights. Proof the game is getting a firm foothold now in USA.

I know it sounds cocky, but this is not what the rest of the world wants to hear. We're a sleeping giant in the sport, and it's becoming realistic to expect a World Cup title during my lifetime. Can you imagine if a couple of our best athletes (LeBron in goal, AP or CJ2K as forwards, DeAndre Jordan at CB) got an interest in soccer growing up? The USMNT is on the upswing and it terrifies the rest of the world.

I would bench Bedoya for that Yemlin 19 year old kid from Seattle. We are going to need legit speed to prevent the German attack from being too aggressive. We will not shutout Germany but I think we can score on them.I would play a 5-4-1 with 3 central defenders. We don't have the depth without Altidore to play the 4-3-2-1 we were playing. I would play defensive because if we can get to halftime tied then the Germans may be amendable to a draw as they would win the group either with a win or draw.

Ian Darke ‏@IanDarke 6m
TV ratings for World Cup in America on ESPN hitting dizzy heights. Proof the game is getting a firm foothold now in USA.

I know it sounds cocky, but this is not what the rest of the world wants to hear. We're a sleeping giant in the sport, and it's becoming realistic to expect a World Cup title during my lifetime. Can you imagine if a couple of our best athletes (LeBron in goal, AP or CJ2K as forwards, DeAndre Jordan at CB) got an interest in soccer growing up? The USMNT is on the upswing and it terrifies the rest of the world.
I bet the rating would be even higher without all these watching party which have thousands of people only counting as 1 viewer in the ratings. Richard Deistch on Twitter said none of the 4 US leagues would allow these viewings because of the ratings they would take.

Watching the highlights over again the USA was lucky when they were down 1-0 and Ronaldo had a breakaway in the 61st minute and missed pathetically and the US scored a couple of minutes later. Also the save Tim Howard made in the 44th minute when he missed a shot and it went off the post.
Also how the hell does Nani start for Man U wow is that guy awful and he had a goal gift wrapped for himself.

Bradley may have been the best and the worst player in the game.
I believe Cameron was directly responsible for both goals - the fist one he failed to clear, and the second one when he didn't mark Varela closely enough.

I start in the 5-4-1 and hope to get to HT tied if the USA are down a goal in the 2nd half then I bring on either Wondo or Johannsson for he worst playing from Brooks, Besler, Cameron. If the USA had the disciplined defense of Mexico this WC I would pick us to be one of the final 8 and depending on the draw further. Our back 4 are sloppy because a couple of them are out if position by necessity. Watching the replay Fabian Johnson was awesome getting up on the right side he led to he corner that Jones scored off and the goal Dempsey got on the deflection.

Watching the highlights over again the USA was lucky when they were down 1-0 and Ronaldo had a breakaway in the 61st minute and missed pathetically and the US scored a couple of minutes later. Also the save Tim Howard made in the 44th minute when he missed a shot and it went off the post.
Also how the hell does Nani start for Man U wow is that guy awful and he had a goal gift wrapped for himself.
Not for nothing but we should've scored much more than twice. We constantly threatened and Bradley had a wide open shot on goal which was blocked by a miracle knee.

Portugal should've scored more but so we should've as well. We were the better team and I didn't even think it was really close. Portugal scored off our own mistakes.

I would bench Bedoya for that Yemlin 19 year old kid from Seattle. We are going to need legit speed to prevent the German attack from being too aggressive. We will not shutout Germany but I think we can score on them.I would play a 5-4-1 with 3 central defenders. We don't have the depth without Altidore to play the 4-3-2-1 we were playing. I would play defensive because if we can get to halftime tied then the Germans may be amendable to a draw as they would win the group either with a win or draw.
Really liked that guy. I don't know enough about Bedoya aside from watching him in this WC but Yedlin looks like a serious talent.

Lots of criticism of Bradley - both here in in the media...

Yes, he did have a tough giveaway but he was 60 yards from goal.

They had one guy in the box and neither Johnson nor Cameron marked him.

Teams talk all the time about "learning how to win".

All the credit in the world to Klinsmann. He has this team believing they can play with anybody. That, in and of itself, is a huge step forward.

This is not Spain or Brazil in 2009 or Portugal in 2002 where we bunker in for 90 minutes. This is about taking it to other teams. We still won't be able to do it with everybody (btw, Ghana is MUCH better than I thought they were) but we can do it against much better teams than we used to be able to do it against.

I didn't believe it. I was wrong.

We've shown over and over again that the game is never over for us until the final whistle when we are behind. Now, we have to learn how to "suffer" and manage a game when we have the lead.

Just like learning how to win is a process, so is learning how to manage a game with a lead...

I would give Klinsmann the keys to the kingdom. Let him bring in whoever he wants to revamp our entire youth system - the way Germany did after Euro 2000.

I'm so sick of "hoping" Germany takes pity on us and gives poor ol USA a draw. , that should want to draw because they are in the same position we are. They can also get sent home packing Thursday if things fall a certain way. I think we're proving to be a Top 10 caliber squad, if they go hard for the win I hope our counterattack goes beast.

I'm so sick of "hoping" Germany takes pity on us and gives poor ol USA a draw. , that should want to draw because they are in the same position we are. They can also get sent home packing Thursday if things fall a certain way. I think we're proving to be a Top 10 caliber squad, if they go hard for the win I hope our counterattack goes beast.
Germany isn't like the USA basketball team. However, their second team would have more talent than our first team. Germany's B- team scored 3 goals on us last June in a friendly we won 4-3. If Germany takes pity on us I will be happy. The most important thing for USA soccer in this country is advancing to knockout round for 2 WCs in a row show we are a legit top 16 team in the world. That will grow the game and hopefully get kids in this country to consider soccer as a professional and get the USA some Robin Van Persie, Dzeko, Diego Costa talent in this country.

Lots of criticism of Bradley - both here in in the media...

Yes, he did have a tough giveaway but he was 60 yards from goal.

They had one guy in the box and neither Johnson nor Cameron marked him.

Teams talk all the time about "learning how to win".

All the credit in the world to Klinsmann. He has this team believing they can play with anybody. That, in and of itself, is a huge step forward.

This is not Spain or Brazil in 2009 or Portugal in 2002 where we bunker in for 90 minutes. This is about taking it to other teams. We still won't be able to do it with everybody (btw, Ghana is MUCH better than I thought they were) but we can do it against much better teams than we used to be able to do it against.

I didn't believe it. I was wrong.

We've shown over and over again that the game is never over for us until the final whistle when we are behind. Now, we have to learn how to "suffer" and manage a game when we have the lead.

Just like learning how to win is a process, so is learning how to manage a game with a lead...

I would give Klinsmann the keys to the kingdom. Let him bring in whoever he wants to revamp our entire youth system - the way Germany did after Euro 2000.

Tell you the truth, I thought Erde shoved Bradley off the ball on that last play, and it was marginally a foul. Certainly not 50-50. The extra minute if it really was added on was a real killer. I've never seen that changed like that on the board. It must have been a miscommunication initially from the head ref to the sideline. If the ref thinks teams are stalling he will add on time on the field but not change the board. Not to mention, most teams have been dragging at the end and wasting time on subs. In the Belgium-Russia game, it took almost a minute for a Belgium sub to come on during extra time. The ref added about 15 seconds to the original 4 minutes.

Fantastic post. This has already been an successful WC for the USMNT because we are playing a correct, entertaining style very well. My first WC match was the US v Iran in Lyon in 1998. We lost 2-1 and got our only goal of the entire WC basically by pushing the ball across the line after a huge scrum in front of the Iran goal. It was like watching 8 years olds in suburban NJ on a Saturday morning. When I saw the US v Italy in 2006, we scored because the ball deflected off the back leg of an Italian defender.

It is impossible to overstate how much better we are now. We need to keep Jurgen around for a decade to complete this very important project.

PS -- You are too forgiving of Bradley. If he does anything else with the ball at that point, we win the match. Agreed about the marking at the back. Cameron looks to be the 2014 team's answer to Jeff Agoos in 2002.

Bradley is our best playmaker in midfield but if we are tied or ahead with Germany next match I would consider subbing him out. I like Bradley but 2 games in a row he has made mistakes with the ball. If he plays 85 minutes that is fine and Mix or anybody on team to hold the ball would be a good sub. Bradley has made some great plays but has made some weak passes as well.
My German friend thinks the Germans will sit anyone with a yellow card and will play straight up for 60 minutes then the last 30 would be okay with kicking it around.

Bradley is our best playmaker in midfield but if we are tied or ahead with Germany next match I would consider subbing him out. I like Bradley but 2 games in a row he has made mistakes with the ball. If he plays 85 minutes that is fine and Mix or anybody on team to hold the ball would be a good sub. Bradley has made some great plays but has made some weak passes as well.
My German friend thinks the Germans will sit anyone with a yellow card and will play straight up for 60 minutes then the last 30 would be okay with kicking it around.
Totally agree. I think we will need multiple goals against Germany. They will get their chances against our D. Who knows, maybe we get help from a red card or own goal. We are owed karma after the way we lost to Germany at the 2002 WC.

Mexico-Croatia is the best match today. I don't like Mexico but I think they will draw.
Chile should beat Netherlands without RVP. I wonder if the Dutch will wear the Orange jerseys today or will they wear the Syracuse blues again because they are 2-0 in them.
Brazil will destroy Cameroon and Spain should humble the Socceroos today.

Totally agree. I think we will need multiple goals against Germany. They will get their chances against our D. Who knows, maybe we get help from a red card or own goal. We are owed karma after the way we lost to Germany at the 2002 WC.
I got up at 5am for that quarterfinal we outplayed Germany but that one set piece goal from Ballack and the fact Donovan missed a couple of chances and Frings got away with a hand ball on the goalline killed us. Oliver Kahn RIP had a bunch of stone cold saves against us he earned the nickname Berlin Wall that tourney.
We were better than them on the pitch but Germany won 1-0.

Ian Darke ‏@IanDarke 6m

People, especially from other countries, get upset by this statement-- ~95% of our best athletes play football, basketball, and baseball. It's not being cocky, it's just a fact. Soccer is an afterthought. We're certainly on the upswing, as I can see (admittedly I don't know too much about our soccer history, though), but it will never be a priority in our country, imo. This makes it even more impressive that we were 1 bad pass, 1 perfect center from the best player in the world, and 30 seconds away from advancing through the toughest group in only 2 games.

That being said- do you guys still think we hold on and advance?

That being said- do you guys still think we hold on and advance?
I hate making predictions, but the odds do seem to be in our favor.

Deadspin published this neat little chart to illustrate the scenarios for folks who are better at understanding things visually. As you can see, there's a whole lot of green there. I think it really hinges on just what exactly our German opponents want out of this game.​

chart.png

We have a 75% to advance which is good but it really depends on how goals we give up to Germany.

Deadspin published this neat little chart to illustrate the scenarios for folks who are better at understanding things visually. As you can see, there's a whole lot of green there. I think it really hinges on just what exactly our German opponents want out of this game.​

Awesome. Looks like we should just score early to make it easy. We know that won't happen. I expect us to be down a goal within 10 minutes :)

Dutch League is notorious for being open and friendly to scoring. I think its still a better league than MLS. Jozy wouldn't score 30 goals because the MLS teams aren't as technically advanced offensively as the Dutch league. The service in the final third in American soccer is our biggest weakness both on the national team level and MLS level. MLS has potential to grow but its not even close to Europe because the talent isn't on European level. We overpay guys from Europe/South America in the 30s we haven't developed a Jozy Altidore in MLS since he was sold to Villarreal and that is a problem for our national team. Its part of the reason Klinsmann gave Julian Greene Landon Donovan's spot on the 23 roster because Greene could be Dempsey's replacement in 4 years if he continues developing at Bayern Munich.

I agree with you about the overall technical skill in the Dutch League, but on the other hand, Dutch teams don't defend like US teams do, and don't play with our physicality. If you don't think our talent is on par with the secondary European Leagues, then you're not giving us proper credit - just look at how well our national team has done against foreign competition.

Germany isn't like the USA basketball team. However, their second team would have more talent than our first team. Germany's B- team scored 3 goals on us last June in a friendly we won 4-3. If Germany takes pity on us I will be happy. The most important thing for USA soccer in this country is advancing to knockout round for 2 WCs in a row show we are a legit top 16 team in the world. That will grow the game and hopefully get kids in this country to consider soccer as a professional and get the USA some Robin Van Persie, Dzeko, Diego Costa talent in this country.
I agree but it still takes some adjusting hearing everyone talk about big bad Germany and how we should be happy with Germany giving us a wink wink draw, since they are also one successful counter attack away from facing a possible elimination. I'm part German but how Thursday shakes out will factor heavily on if I root for them when not playing USA lol.

I thought I understood it until you posted this chart haha.