FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Group A,C,E,G winners are on 1 side playing runner ups from group B,D,F,G and the other side is the reverse.

Also, Monchengladbach must be loving their free signing of Fabian Johnson from Hoffenheim. He's been one of the most impressive players in the tournament. I look forward to seeing him play for them, as he perfectly fits their style of play.

if it isn't obvious, then it's a shame. Why are humans so adverse to logic?
Have followed major tournaments before? Listen I want a 0-0 but it's not obvious because teams have confidence in their ability. Germany doesn't expect to lose to us they are truly elite unlike the paper tigers from Portugal. We are going to have to earn it as Germany will not play for a 0-0 for 90.

Furthermore, I would love soccer to grow in this country so I don't have the dreaded summer baseball season as my only sports viewing option. It's about time someone knocked glorified golf off its boring a$$ pedestal.

Alsacs said:
Have followed major tournaments before? Listen I want a 0-0 but it's not obvious because teams have confidence in their ability. Germany doesn't expect to lose to us they are truly elite unlike the paper tigers from Portugal. We are going to have to earn it as Germany will not play for a 0-0 for 90.
i understand what you are saying. I am sure you are right. I am saying that it is stupid on Germany's part.

Agreed. A good friend of mine heads up one of those groups in Los Angeles. He might be the most charismatic guy I know. He sent me videos of their turnouts and they were incredible. Soccer is absolutely growing in this country. This isn't just a WC thing.
True. I believe the ratings for Euro 2012 outperformed the NHL playoffs.

i understand what you are saying. I am sure you are right. I am saying that it is stupid on Germany's part.
Agreed. I get the whole "respect" thing but nobody skated by in the group of death without having to play a top 10 caliber squad. The results are what they are. I could care less if we blatantly play patty cake at mid field and draw 0-0. Ghana and Portugal should've beat the USA or Germany if they wanted to go through.

Agreed. A good friend of mine heads up one of those groups in Los Angeles. He might be the most charismatic guy I know. He sent me videos of their turnouts and they were incredible. Soccer is absolutely growing in this country. This isn't just a WC thing.
I was in an awesome sports bar in Dedham, MA tonight that was wall to wall with people in USA gear. Hardly room to move around the bar. It was just like the scenes you see in all those videos of public goal celebrations when we scored. One of the best times I've had watching a sporting event at a bar, until Ronaldo's cross.

Roger Bennett on World Cup Tonight just summed it up perfectly "We Americans got to feel what the English like all the time after that goal" watching the replay I can't believe how Bradley just f'ed it up.

Roger Bennett on World Cup Tonight just summed it up perfectly "We Americans got to feel what the English like all the time after that goal" watching the replay I can't believe how Bradley just f'ed it up.
Bradley may have been the best and the worst player in the game.

Wow. Yup. That says it.

What is his deal at the end of games? 2 games, 2 ridiculous Michael Bradley mistakes. One of which cost us 2 points. I a semi-newb to soccer but even I know to do the opposite of what he was doing and I knew it as he was doing it.

What is his deal at the end of games? 2 games, 2 ridiculous Michael Bradley mistakes. One of which cost us 2 points. I a semi-newb to soccer but even I know to do the opposite of what he was doing and I knew it as he was doing it.
The plane carrying the team to Brazil was hit by lightning, causing Bradley and Jones to switch bodies.

You can't convince me otherwise.

L
I must say, this World Cup Late Night with Mike Tirico is superb. Alexi Lalas, Michael Ballack etc. Along with the other World Cup programming and coverage, they are really doing a great job.
Lalas is a dick to Ballack who is too nice and speaking his 2nd language and doesn't realize Lalasvis mocking him.
Macca on the other hand gives it back to Lalas and is great.

L

Lalas is a dick to Ballack who is too nice and speaking his 2nd language and doesn't realize Lalasvis mocking him.
Macca on the other hand gives it back to Lalas and is great.
Haha, but Ballack does get all high and mighty when discussing German historical superiority to USA soccer. I think they play well off each other and I mentioned the other day how impressive I found it that all these former players from Non-English speaking countries come across so well in these broadcasts.

Who picked up the yellow for US? In World Cup - if he picks up another yellow against Germany - are we down a man?

Haha, but Ballack does get all high and mighty when discussing German historical superiority to USA soccer. I think they play well off each other and I mentioned the other day how impressive I found it that all these former players from Non-English speaking countries come across so well in these broadcasts.
Roberto Martinez is the best ESPN analyst IMO. Ballack is a Germany homer but is nice while Lalas comes off like an unlike able dick.

Who picked up the yellow for US? In World Cup - if he picks up another yellow against Germany - are we down a man?
Jones got the yellow. If he gets one against Germany he would miss the next USA match he wouldn't be sent off unless he got a red card. Jones does get a lot of yellows as he can be reckless sometimes.

Jones got the yellow. If he gets one against Germany he would miss the next USA match he wouldn't be sent off unless he got a red card. Jones does get a lot of yellows as he can be reckless sometimes.
Hope he doesn't get another one. He's been incredible throughout the lead-up to the WC, and obviously been great in the first two games with one of the best goals of the tournament.

How do we look this year compared to previous World Cups? I seem to remember in 2010 we were nowhere near as nuanced as we are now with the creativity. Am I remembering correctly or mistaken? We just seem to look every bit that of a upper echelon Euro squad in terms of speed, control, footwork, passing, creativity etc.

Zing! Money quote.
I need to find video of him saying this. Until then, I imagine he has this look on his face:
International-Sieg-fuer-Juergen-Klinsmann-und-sein-US-Team.jpg