FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

How do we look this year compared to previous World Cups? I seem to remember in 2010 we were nowhere near as nuanced as we are now with the creativity. Am I remembering correctly or mistaken? We just seem to look every bit that of a upper echelon Euro squad in terms of speed, control, footwork, passing, creativity etc.
Which says something as to how good Ghana is.

How do we look this year compared to previous World Cups? I seem to remember in 2010 we were nowhere near as nuanced as we are now with the creativity. Am I remembering correctly or mistaken? We just seem to look every bit that of a upper echelon Euro squad in terms of speed, control, footwork, passing, creativity etc.
Not as good as '02, but far better than '06. I think we look about on par with how we looked in '10, only thus far FIFA hasn't felt the need to screw us over...yet.

Absolutely. Germany has nothing to play for, really. With a draw they advance and win the group on GD. They have their eyes on the big prize. I wouldn't be surprised to see this game go into halftime at 0-0 or 1-1 and see Germany make a couple of subs to get more guys some run. There is no real strategy necessary for this one.

Unless Germany really wants to show up Klinsmann, or Portugal has lost all self respect and allows Ghana to score 4 goals, we should advance.
Just a bizarre sport. I have such a hard time wrapping my head around these types of strategies. I get it, but I have to fight my normal sports instincts.

This i
This is the best we have ever looked at a WC thru 2 matches. Only time close was 2002 beating Portugal and drawing host South Korea thru 2 matches. In 2002 though we were lucky as Friedel stopped 2 penalty kicks against South Korea. We played a defensive shell against Ghana and outplayed the 4th ranked team in the FIFA rankings.

Jones got the yellow. If he gets one against Germany he would miss the next USA match he wouldn't be sent off unless he got a red card. Jones does get a lot of yellows as he can be reckless sometimes.

Pretty sure cards reset after the group round.

Not as good as '02, but far better than '06. I think we look about on par with how we looked in '10, only thus far FIFA hasn't felt the need to screw us over...yet.
Haha, we're you expecting a Dzeko like offsides for Dempsey?

How can Bradley not just get rid of the ball someplace instead of trying some pirouette only to lose it? The last 5 mins he list the ball or made a bad pass on 3 occasions. Not good.

He's on the take. FIFA needs Ronaldo through. Portugal winning helps USA on Thursday so I hope FIFA pays off the Ghana team like they did Bradley.

I believe I heard that mentioned somewhere a few days ago.
Yes. After group play, cards are reset.

But if a player accumulates enough for a suspension during the third group game, the suspension must still be served in the first knockout game.

EDIT: I am wrong, Alsacs is correct. They reset after the quarters. I forget FIFA changed the rule on that last time around.

Pretty sure cards reset after the group round.
Nope the reset after the quarterfinals. They don't want players missing the final after Michael Ballack got a 2nd yellow in 2002 and missed the final against Brazil.

Best fan shot of the day and the real-life Teddy Goalsevelt:
Bqxl6HVCUAAb7DC.png:large

Nope the reset after the quarterfinals. They don't want players missing the final after Michael Ballack got a 2nd yellow in 2002 and missed the final against Brazil.

Ah...interesting

Sorry to be a downer but there's a problem: You can only "play for a draw" if you have a tight defensive team.

I think our odds of going through are one in three. "Playing for a draw" means neither team sends many guys forward. We get the occasional long ball and defenders kicking it around without much press. What you also see, however, is a lot of run where 3 offensive players go up against 5 or 6 defenders.

3 v 5 or 4 v 5 is not a problem for a good defensive team. See the problem? The right combo of German 3 can score against our 5 or 6 no problem. The German midfield is going run through our central mid based on what I've seen and then there are set pieces to consider. We're gonna need goals, fellas. The draw has to be 2-2 or 3-3, just like today.

The other problem is that Portugal is done. They are a spent force and I don't think they are going to give us jack next Thursday. Stranger things have happened and Ghana could implode but it looks real good for Ghana right now. That witch doctor really stuck his pins in the right place.

Based on what I've seen from Jurgen and the players post-game, I think they know all this. The eyes never lie. We're in deep. Sorry. It kills me too.

#4 for the US really sucked some soccer balls tonight. He got a mouthful.

I counted at least 4 playw where he completely gave up on balls. His last led directly to Portugal's improbable goal.

Sorry to be a downer but there's a problem: You can only "play for a draw" if you have a tight defensive team.

I think our odds of going through are one in three. "Playing for a draw" means neither team sends many guys forward. We get the occasional long ball and defenders kicking it around without much press. What you also see, however, is a lot of run where 3 offensive players go up against 5 or 6 defenders.

3 v 5 or 4 v 5 is not a problem for a good defensive team. See the problem? The right combo of German 3 can score against our 5 or 6 no problem. The German midfield is going run through our central mid based on what I've seen and then there are set pieces to consider. We're gonna need goals, fellas. The draw has to be 2-2 or 3-3, just like today.

The other problem is that Portugal is done. They are a spent force and I don't think they are going to give us jack next Thursday. Stranger things have happened and Ghana could implode but it looks real good for Ghana right now. That witch doctor really stuck his pins in the right place.

Based on what I've seen from Jurgen and the players post-game, I think they know all this. The eyes never lie. We're in deep. Sorry. It kills me too.
538 says ...
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...-boosts-the-u-s-s-world-cup-advancement-odds/

L

Lalas is a dick to Ballack who is too nice and speaking his 2nd language and doesn't realize Lalasvis mocking him.
Macca on the other hand gives it back to Lalas and is great.

Listening to Lalas lecture Ballack about football is in the "so bad it's good" department of TV commentary. ESPN has been absolutely fantastic overall. Robbie Martinez is a great announcer and in addition to being a superb coach.

No. I will not like this post.

Listening to Lalas lecture Ballack about football is in the "so bad it's good" department of TV commentary. ESPN has been absolutely fantastic overall. Robbie Martinez is a great announcer and in addition to being a superb coach.
I understand why people hate Lalas, but I love him. Give me someone with passion for the USMNT with a personal knowledge of the game like him any day. It allows Ballack and Van Nistelrooy to be unabashed homers for their nations as well. Also absolutely love the Ian Darke/Taylor Twellman combo for the games. I've loved ESPN's coverage.

I can't stop re-watching Jermaine Jones' goal. Many people will attest to my affinity for Jones (even when most hated his hot-head style), but I think he got a huge weight off his back today. He basically scored the right-footed version of the goal Messi scored to beat Iran. Just an awesome snipe, and one of the best USMNT goals (from a skill stand-point) that I can remember.

Portugal should come out with a carefree attitude and its effectiveness will likely depend on who scores the first goal. If they score early on, it could be interesting. Concede first and the rout could be on. But before people right write off Portugal, we should remember how the US reached the semis in the '09 Confed Cup.
We made up a 6 goal difference after blanking Egypt 3-0 and watching Brazil do the same to Italy.

I agree with the general consensus that both US and Germany will play hard for the first 45 minutes and then only take selective chances in the second half if the score remains level. We have to be careful to not be too defensive and stay away from the ed penalty kicks that we conceded in the warmup games.