FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

I think they denied an appeal just yesterday. Not sure if he can appeal again.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/...-luis-suarez-to-barcelona-clubs-announce-deal

Following the appeal rejection on Thursday, reports indicated that Barcelona is likely to attempt one more appeal in order to get the suspension reduced. The club will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport [CAS], which has the authority to overrule FIFA's decision.

I think Barca's attorneys will get this reduced from the CAS its obvious because its Barca. It would be like the Red Sox or Yankees winning an appeal.

Hey Imperial, congrats on unloading Suarez, and at asking price no less.
That's not a good thing for Liverpool. Impossible to replace 50 goals scored/created. And with Champions League next year they're going to struggle to finish top 4.

Hey Imperial, congrats on unloading Suarez, and at asking price no less.

More of a headache then it was worth at this point I presume. That and knowing he is one more incident away from being banned for ???? amount of time. I'm ok with it because, as a fan, I'm tired of defending my club in regards to him.

Onward and upward. We're not done signing players yet this window and need to to have a big enough squad to play many more games. If we get squad depth sorted this window we can focus on marqee signings moving forward. I'd still like a marqee signing this window as well but not at the expense of depth in positions of need... like say, the defense that gave up 50 goals last season.

That's not a good thing for Liverpool. Impossible to replace 50 goals scored/created. And with Champions League next year they're going to struggle to finish top 4.

That's what all clubs outside of the top 4 are hoping.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/07/wilfried-bony-talks-advanced-liverpool-move-19m-striker/

I actually like that potential signing over most of the other dregs we've been linked to. Was hoping we'd get Sanchez but this gent could do quite nice next to Sturridge as well. If Sturridge wasn't so injury prone I'd be even less concerned than I am.

If they get Bony I think Liverpool is in excellent shape. Suarez won't be available till October and he won't stay out of trouble.

I still want to see Borini given a proper chance as well.

I'll be content if we land Bony. Will give us a front 5 in the diamond of

Sturridge-------Bony
-------Sterling-------
Lallana--------Henderson

I think that line would do well and Lambert or Borini can slot in at either striker spot as needed. As Lambert ages out we'll already have Origi signed and ready to come in. I like how we're building and if Origi doesn't become the level striker we require we'll have a transfer window where we can focus solely on signing a striker vs 8 different spots we're trying to build now. A bit similar to where Chelsea are currently at, albiet slower because of lower initial outlays.

That's what all clubs outside of the top 4 are hoping.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/07/wilfried-bony-talks-advanced-liverpool-move-19m-striker/

I actually like that potential signing over most of the other dregs we've been linked to. Was hoping we'd get Sanchez but this gent could do quite nice next to Sturridge as well. If Sturridge wasn't so injury prone I'd be even less concerned than I am.
Spurs were linked with Bony as well, very happy we won't be signing him. Liverpool have signed a lot of players that were good at mid table clubs but they haven't signed anyone that scares me. If they landed Sanchez instead of Arsenal I'd be worried.

Spurs were linked with Bony as well, very happy we won't be signing him. Liverpool have signed a lot of players that were good at mid table clubs but they haven't signed anyone that scares me. If they landed Sanchez instead of Arsenal I'd be worried.

I like him with the other players we have and have added. Honestly few opposing players "scare" me but I like the additions especially the ones that have been in the EPL and won't need to adjust. IF we sign Bony we will have added:

Bony 16 goals 4 assists
Lallana 9 goals 6 assists
Lambert 13 goals 10 assists
+ Borini back from PL loan 7 goals 2 assists

add that to Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Gerrard, Hendo, and others yet to be announced I think we'll be alright finding the opponents goal. Now about that defense...

I like him with the other players we have and have added. Honestly few opposing players "scare" me but I like the additions especially the ones that have been in the EPL and won't need to adjust. IF we sign Bony we will have added:

Bony 16 goals 4 assists
Lallana 9 goals 6 assists
Lambert 13 goals 10 assists
+ Borini back from PL loan 7 goals 2 assists

add that to Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Gerrard, Hendo, and others yet to be announced I think we'll be alright finding the opponents goal. Now about that defense...
They will need to adjust though because instead of being able to counter attack they have to play against a parked bus. We'll see how good of a coach Rodgers is but you can't quantify how important Suarez was.

BBpZPziCUAA0syq.jpg:large

And that's coming from experience. Bale was so hard to replace it's unbelievable.

bnoro said:
They will need to adjust though because instead of being able to counter attack they have to play against a parked bus. We'll see how good of a coach Rodgers is but you can't quantify how important Suarez was.

BBpZPziCUAA0syq.jpg:large

And that's coming from experience. Bale was so hard to replace it's unbelievable.

At the risk of your scorn Ill point out that Spurs werent CL qualifiers with Bale and at the time they didnt have as good a coach. I do like your new hire but im hoping the core we had built aside from gnasher is stronger than what spurs had around Bale. A lot is yet be sorted with rosters before the window closes and ill be anxiously watching who we bring in.

At the risk of your scorn Ill point out that Spurs werent CL qualifiers with Bale and at the time they didnt have as good a coach. I do like your new hire but im hoping the core we had built aside from gnasher is stronger than what spurs had around Bale. A lot is yet be sorted with rosters before the window closes and ill be anxiously watching who we bring in.
The year before last AVB finished 5th with 72 points, which would have gotten us Champs League almost any other year, so AVB did a pretty damn good job, Rodgers finished 7th with largely the same team Liverpool had last year. And Bale only contributed to 30 or so goals that season. Suarez contributed to 50. You can talk about the core all you want but Liverpool was largely a one man team last year (and don't say "sturridge scored 20" because many of those were because of the space Suarez created and his linkup play with Suarez).

I still don't think Rodgers is a great coach. But I guess we'll find out.

Spurs fans still have to be pissed about Bayern Munich losing that 2012 Champions League Final to Chelsea which prevented from getting into the CL last year.

Bony had 16 goals in the BPL for Swansea last year he would be huge for Liverpool.

Karim Benzema is going to be moved from Real Madrid I think he ends up in Man United, Liverpool, or PSG

So imperial?

Will I be buying my Yarmolenko or Konoplyanka liverpool jersey soon?

Maybe it is me being biased (actually it is :)) but why pay that cash for Lallana when you could buy 1 of those for 12?

So imperial?

Will I be buying my Yarmolenko or Konoplyanka liverpool jersey soon?

Maybe it is me being biased (actually it is :)) but why pay that cash for Lallana when you could buy 1 of those for 12?
Now My dood Konoplyanka might end up at West Ham!

SOMEBODY SAVE HIM!

Their owner didn't do him any favors last transfer window. Seems weve moved on as have some others and now if he is sold they'll lose a bit of money over what was being offered.

The year before last AVB finished 5th with 72 points, which would have gotten us Champs League almost any other year, so AVB did a pretty damn good job, Rodgers finished 7th with largely the same team Liverpool had last year. And Bale only contributed to 30 or so goals that season. Suarez contributed to 50. You can talk about the core all you want but Liverpool was largely a one man team last year (and don't say "sturridge scored 20" because many of those were because of the space Suarez created and his linkup play with Suarez).

I still don't think Rodgers is a great coach. But I guess we'll find out.

Time will tell. Hard to compare Bale and Suarez goal for goal because they played different positions. Bale did much much more than what showed up on the stat sheet and had great numbers for an attacking mid.

You can't point out that we finished 7th and then 2nd and discount Sturridge. We've netted the second most points in the league the second half of the 7th place season, and obviously 2nd most in the entirety of last season. As is well known, Suarez wasn't playing for all of those games and Sturro was still scoring. The question with Sturridge isn't ability but rather durability thus we need to add a striker. As it were, our defense played much better without Suarez in the side which I can't wrap my head around why.

You are correct about him opening space though which is what makes Barca with Suarez, Messi, and Neymar a damn interesting proposition. I'm curious who they will play where across the front.

I enjoy watching the BPL as a whole but if forced to name my side it's Arsenal.

Love the Sanchez signing. They still need a CB and DM. Mertsacker is too slow. Khedira is expensive and I prefer Lars Bender for DM.

Wenger should buy another physical CF as well but I don't think he will.

I enjoy watching the BPL as a whole but if forced to name my side it's Arsenal.

Love the Sanchez signing. They still need a CB and DM. Mertsacker is too slow. Khedira is expensive and I prefer Lars Bender for DM.

Wenger should buy another physical CF as well but I don't think he will.
I liked Man City after the 2006 World Cup because they stunk and had cool jerseys and had Claudio Reyna. Also because they weren't a power and I didn't want to become a bandwagon fan.
However, since the Shieks bought Man City they have become everything I didn't want so now I just watch the games without a team. I like Arsenal, Liverpool, QPR but don't have a team. Baldelli's antics while he was at Man City made Manny Ramirez look sane. I still like City but they are becoming Man U light like Chelsea.

I still want to see Borini given a proper chance as well.

I'll be content if we land Bony. Will give us a front 5 in the diamond of

Sturridge-------Bony
-------Sterling-------
Lallana--------Henderson

Not sure I'm as excited about the prospect of signing Bony as you are. My guess is the diamond formation from last year was Rodger's tactic to make the most of both Sturridge and Suarez, rather than his preferred formation. Now that Suarez is gone I'd be surprised if Liverpool didn't line up in a 4-3-3 with Sturridge occupying the central attacking position and Lambert serving as his back up. If this is the case Liverpool are covered in central attack and need to sign somebody who is comfortable out wide, rather than another out and out striker like Bony.

Not sure I'm as excited about the prospect of signing Bony as you are. My guess is the diamond formation from last year was Rodger's tactic to make the most of both Sturridge and Suarez, rather than his preferred formation. Now that Suarez is gone I'd be surprised if Liverpool didn't line up in a 4-3-3 with Sturridge occupying the central attacking position and Lambert serving as his back up. If this is the case Liverpool are covered in central attack and need to sign somebody who is comfortable out wide, rather than another out and out striker like Bony.

I think we'll run multiple formations again. Doing that last year threw enough curveballs to opposition and IMO aided in us finishing as high up the table as we did. On paper, there was no reason we should be going toe to toe with Chelsea but on the pitch it was something different entirely.

Bony would give us a different dimension IE finishing in the air and he always seems to be in the right spot to poach rebounds.

Out wide we can play Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho (prefer him central), were supposedly finalizing Markovic from Benfica, and would have Assaidi back as an option unless he's sold. I think Lallana and Henderson will be left and right wing respectively with ?-Sturridge-Sterling up top in the 4-3-3. Lallana could fill there but I like him in midfield better since he has boundless energy similar to Henderson and tracks back quite well to help in defense. We need runners in the midfiled because Stevie hasn't got the legs to run for 90 mins any longer. I'm avoiding listing Joe Allen because I prefer him anywhere but in the starting 11.

At the very least we have versitile players so we won't be caught out in any one spot. My dream signing would be Marco Reus but I can't imagine what offer it would take to pry him from his home town club.

I think we'll run multiple formations again. Doing that last year threw enough curveballs to opposition and IMO aided in us finishing as high up the table as we did. On paper, there was no reason we should be going toe to toe with Chelsea but on the pitch it was something different entirely.

Bony would give us a different dimension IE finishing in the air and he always seems to be in the right spot to poach rebounds.

Out wide we can play Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho (prefer him central), were supposedly finalizing Markovic from Benfica, and would have Assaidi back as an option unless he's sold. I think Lallana and Henderson will be left and right wing respectively with ?-Sturridge-Sterling up top in the 4-3-3. Lallana could fill there but I like him in midfield better since he has boundless energy similar to Henderson and tracks back quite well to help in defense. We need runners in the midfiled because Stevie hasn't got the legs to run for 90 mins any longer. I'm avoiding listing Joe Allen because I prefer him anywhere but in the starting 11.

At the very least we have versitile players so we won't be caught out in any one spot. My dream signing would be Marco Reus but I can't imagine what offer it would take to pry him from his home town club.

I agree with you about the midfield and about Reus, he would be a dream signing, but if he ever leaves Dortmund it will be for Bayer, Real Madrid, or Barcelona and nobody else.

I'd like to see Shaqiri or Griezmann for Liverpool, but at this point I'm not so sure that either of them are realistic either.

I agree with you about the midfield and about Reus, he would be a dream signing, but if he ever leaves Dortmund it will be for Bayer, Real Madrid, or Barcelona and nobody else.

I'd like to see Shaqiri or Griezmann for Liverpool, but at this point I'm not so sure that either of them are realistic either.

We were linked to Shaqiri but its seemed to have cooled off for whatever reason. He had a very good world cup and perhaps his price inflated too much as result? I haven't seen enough of Griezmann to have an opinion and haven't seen enough believable banter of him being a target to give much thought.

If we want a tiny, speedy winger that has been playing in Spain we can just pull Suso back in and give him a proper run out. Aside from that we have Jordan Ibe that came through the youth academy and looking quite impressive from what I've seen. He's only 18 at this point but so was Sterling. Would like to see him in some cup games this season if not more.