FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

We were linked to Shaqiri but its seemed to have cooled off for whatever reason. He had a very good world cup and perhaps his price inflated too much as result? I haven't seen enough of Griezmann to have an opinion and haven't seen enough believable banter of him being a target to give much thought.

If we want a tiny, speedy winger that has been playing in Spain we can just pull Suso back in and give him a proper run out. Aside from that we have Jordan Ibe that came through the youth academy and looking quite impressive from what I've seen. He's only 18 at this point but so was Sterling. Would like to see him in some cup games this season if not more.

Count me as someone who would like to see Suso back with the team. I haven't heard anything about him though, so I don't know what is up with him, but even with him I think they need someone else on the team who is comfortable out wide.

Count me as someone who would like to see Suso back with the team. I haven't heard anything about him though, so I don't know what is up with him, but even with him I think they need someone else on the team who is comfortable out wide.

I think it's at the point where he wants more games or he wants to move on. Some pool fans are really high on him but i'm far from decided. He's not useless by any stretch but I'm not sold he'll be the level we need either. What are your thoughts on Markovic? His countryman, Matic, speaks very highly of him.

I think it's at the point where he wants more games or he wants to move on. Some pool fans are really high on him but i'm far from decided. He's not useless by any stretch but I'm not sold he'll be the level we need either. What are your thoughts on Markovic? His countryman, Matic, speaks very highly of him.

Ive never seen him play, so I don't have any original thoughts. What I have heard about him, I like. He's got a lot of pace, can play out wide or through the middle - which is what I think we need to replace Suarez. He's young, with his best years clearly ahead of him, and I think Rodgers seems to be finding his niche as the guy who can get the most out of young talent. Markovic might not be the proven and battle tested Suarez-replacement that most people are hoping for, but he does sound like the kind of kid Rogers can turn into a world class player - and the idea of having someone with his speed on one flank and someone with Sterling's speed on the other flank does sound good. Liverpool's pace and ability to counterattack quickly decimated teams last year, and I am glad they seem to be building to continue in that direction.

I personally hope we get him, and then one more player in his mold that has a little more experience at the highest levels. That plus a left back and a center back and I will be happy with the off season.

This is the team I'd like to see next year (not necessarily the team I think we will see):

Shaqiri-------Sturridge-------Sterling
(Markovic)--(Lambert)---(Borini/Coutinho)

----------------Lallana----------------------------
--------------(Coutinho)--------------------------

--- Gerrard---------------Henderson
----(Can)-------------------(Allen)

Rodreguez----Sakho------Lovren-----Flannigan
(Enrique)---(Skertel)-----(Ilori)-------(Robinson)

-----------------------Mignolet----------------------

Ive never seen him play, so I don't have any original thoughts. What I have heard about him, I like. He's got a lot of pace, can play out wide or through the middle - which is what I think we need to replace Suarez. He's young, with his best years clearly ahead of him, and I think Rodgers seems to be finding his niche as the guy who can get the most out of young talent. Markovic might not be the proven and battle tested Suarez-replacement that most people are hoping for, but he does sound like the kind of kid Rogers can turn into a world class player - and the idea of having someone with his speed on one flank and someone with Sterling's speed on the other flank does sound good. Liverpool's pace and ability to counterattack quickly decimated teams last year, and I am glad they seem to be building to continue in that direction.

I personally hope we get him, and then one more player in his mold that has a little more experience at the highest levels. That plus a left back and a center back and I will be happy with the off season.

Thing I like about Markovic is, that despite only being 20, he played in 38 games for Benfica last year and is already a national team starter. He's young but he's not green so there won't be a need to adjust to the grind of a full schedule.

Enrique is back training. If he's healthy I feel much better about our LB situation and Flanno can play either side. I don't think CB is as much an issue as it's made out to be. I want to see Tiago Llori back in our side along with Sahko, Skrtel, and Agger. I think that is a workable group. A lot of their issues were due to being overloaded due to ******* Glen Johnson getting caught up the pitch far too often and jogging back if at all. IMHO Johnson needs to go, if we sign a LB or RB doesn't matter as Flanno can deputize the other spot.

Depends where you read your articles from. I see it referred to as the BPL quite a bit.
Well news articles will call it the BPL for sponsorship reasons but it's such an 'american soccer fan' thing to do to call it the BPL

This is the team I'd like to see next year (not necessarily the team I think we will see):

Shaqiri-------Sturridge-------Sterling
(Markovic)--(Lambert)---(Borini/Coutinho)

----------------Lallana----------------------------
--------------(Coutinho)--------------------------

--- Gerrard---------------Henderson
----(Can)-------------------(Allen)

Rodreguez----Sakho------Lovren-----Flannigan
(Enrique)---(Skertel)-----(Ilori)-------(Robinson)

-----------------------Mignolet----------------------

Could run that lineup as 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 as well if you want to change tactics mid game. Just roll Sterling back central behind the strikers, move Lallana left, Hendo up and left, and Gerrard central. C0uld potentially run Lambert---- Sturridge up front at that point so perhaps we start 4-3-3 and the revert to 4-4-2 if we bring a second true striker on.

EPL not BPL. No one calls it the BPL.
If Budweiser payed the NFL 2 billion dollars to call the NFL the Budweiser Football League as much as I would hate it the media would call it the BFL. Barclay's pays a crapload amount of money so I call it the BPL.

Well news articles will call it the BPL for sponsorship reasons but it's such an 'american soccer fan' thing to do to call it the BPL
I have followed the English Premiere League since 2000 so I am not a "American soccer fan thing" I call the league the way its sponsored to do so.

Ehhhh, I always thought it depends more on the age of that fan. I say EPL majority of the time (as a 30 year old, ~10 year Liverpol supporter) but read BPL as possibly being used by those whom were fans far enough back that the EPL didn't exist yet... as in back when Liverpool actually won league titles so quite a ways.

~scratch that. I've always read BPL as meaning British Premier League not Barclay's.

We're getting close now. Here's hoping for a 4th star tomorrow!
World_Cup_2006_German_fans_at_Bochum.jpg

Except those with the official league licenses. The name stinks that but that's the "official" name.
Or we could just go with what people call it in the UK. In the UK, it's either the Premiership or the Premier League in conversation. No one says EPL or BPL... Then again, Premiership and Premier League requires a lot more typing.

I enjoy watching the BPL as a whole but if forced to name my side it's Arsenal.
The Premier League may be the only league where it is acceptable to support two teams provided one team is top of the table and one is at the bottom. Picking a top CL side is easy but the relegation battle is so fascinating -- and the candidates for relegation so easily identifiable early in the season -- that it is easy to get invested in both. It's two entirely different approaches -- The big-money teams addressing problems with their wallets and bottom teams trying to jerry-rig an escape. The stakes for both sets of teams are sky high, however.

So, I'm CFC for life but I have a soft spot in my heart for Wigan, who mastered the great escape for years on zero budget and despite being forced to sell their best players every offseason, and the "other Blues," Leicester, who were a joy under Martin O'Neil in the late 90s.

Bifurcation usually won't work in an American sport. I could never imagine supporting Syracuse and Miami in hoops, e.g. It works in the UK.

The Premier League may be the only league where it is acceptable to support two teams provided one team is top of the table and one is at the bottom. Picking a top CL side is easy but the relegation battle is so fascinating -- and the candidates for relegation so easily identifiable early in the season -- that it is easy to get invested in both. It's two entirely different approaches -- The big-money teams addressing problems with their wallets and bottom teams trying to jerry-rig an escape. The stakes for both sets of teams are sky high, however.

So, I'm CFC for life but I have a soft spot in my heart for Wigan, who mastered the great escape for years on zero budget and despite being forced to sell their best players every offseason, and the "other Blues," Leicester, who were a joy under Martin O'Neil in the late 90s.

Bifurcation usually won't work in an American sport. I could never imagine supporting Syracuse and Miami in hoops, e.g. It works in the UK.
That is why I have a soft a spot for QPR they suck but I root for them. As I said I liked Man City before the new owners now I nomad from teams and just like watching games.

That is why I have a soft a spot for QPR they suck but I root for them. As I said I liked Man City before the new owners now I nomad from teams and just like watching games.

I generally pick a new second team every season. The rosters and landscape at selling clubs change so dramatically that it's tough to pick the same 2nd team yearly. Last year it was Southampton for me, and the Liverpool transfer committee appears to have liked them as well. I was also cheering for Sunderland to avoid the drop.