FIL 2018 World Championship | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

FIL 2018 World Championship

This canada/iroquois game is terrible. One team plays stall ball. The other either shoots within 10 secs of getting the ball or turns it over.

I can't for the life of me get interested in the world championship.
These field conditions are an absolute joke as well. Players slipping all over the place.

1) Jeremy Thompson did really well on face-offs vs Withers/Canada, looks like a better fogo today than his Cuse days. 2) Ward was insane with 24 saves . Bellarmine??? 3) Telecast mentions of Brodie Merrill recalls Brian Megill.

DiUmu5IWkAAZChk.jpg

1) Jeremy Thompson did really well on face-offs vs Withers/Canada, looks like a better fogo today than his Cuse days. 2) Ward was insane with 24 saves . Bellarmine??? 3) Telecast mentions of Brodie Merrill recalls Brian Megill.

Thompson's 'technique' facing off was wild - instead of looking down at the ball and concentrating on a hard clamp, he turns his head 90 degrees and watches the ref.

As for Ward - I know it was only pool play, but that was the single best performance by a goalie I have ever seen at any level.

Only disappointment was that Canada made that 4th quarter unwatchable by playing keep away. If it were in the semis or championship game I would understand, but not in a meaningless game.

Watch Hakeem Leckys Jamaica play Finland today, what an amazing game! One of the best of the Tournament.

Does Nate McPeak get himself into the goalie discussion this year? He's been overlooked.

Does Nate McPeak get himself into the goalie discussion this year? He's been overlooked.

He's been my dark horse for a while since I saw some of his high school tape and that one incredible sequence of saves that was on some Twitter or Instagram, I believe I posted it in his thread.

I would be pretty surprised if our goalie isn't Drake Porter. He's been the first guy off the bench for awhile now and has always looked pretty good. If there is close competition, hopefully one guy sets himself apart by leading the defense well.

Good question. Staff probably has depth chart off 18' practices headed by Porter and Strang but his international showing likely earned him a closer look . Obviously be up to what he shows here. Five goalies on roster in 18 and all are well considered : Jrs Porter n Klan , Sophs McPeak n Strang , Frosh Katchurian . Be difficult getting all same reps/looks in comparable settings so group likely narrowed down to three quickly to somewhat accomplish. My uninformed opinion off vids and World play is that McPeak has inherent talent but probably less rounded than Porter/Strang so joining G discussion would most likely be as second backup at this stage of his development.

Bronze: Iroquois 14, Australia 12

Austin Staats named to All-World Team.

Last edited:
All-World Team
Rob Pannell, USA
Ryan Brown, USA
Curtis Dickson, Canada
Tom Schreiber, USA
Austin Staats, Iroquois
Ben McIntosh, Canada
Michael Ehrhardt, USA
Graeme Hossack, Canada
Ryland Rees, Canada
Dillon Ward, Canada

MVP
Michael Ehrhardt, USA

Last edited:
I think, going forward, Canada will be favored in international competitions. They have always boasted superior stick skills, but lagged due to inexperience in the field game. But now, many of the top Canadian players come across the border and play NCAA lax. Plus, the international rules favor a slower, long possession game, which hampers the wide-open transition style which the USA excels at.

I think, going forward, Canada will be favored in international competitions. They have always boasted superior stick skills, but lagged due to inexperience in the field game. But now, many of the top Canadian players come across the border and play NCAA lax. Plus, the international rules favor a slower, long possession game, which hampers the wide-open transition style which the USA excels at.
I think (and hope) they’ll update some of the rules before 2022. That playing style isn’t conducive to growing the game.

Thanks for all who used the spoiler function.

The Canucks will win the bulk of field competitions as long as stick head & pocket rules favor the box game.

I hate box lacrosse. I think it degrades the speed and creativity of the field game.

Reduce the influence of box on field lax and the international game will continue to grow.

Box lacrosse is faster and promotes far more creativity then field lacrosse ever has. Some of the all time greats have deep roots in box. Find me players more creative then Gary and Paul Gait Tom Marachek John Grant jr all of the Thompson brothers Cody Jamieson Sid Smith Brett Bucktooth Randy and Austin Staats. Think of creative field players such as Casey and Ryan Powell who went on to thrive in box as did Matt Riter Regy Thorpe and many many more I could list. The Fil needs to overhaul its rules in a major way but it has nothing to do with box vs field it has to do with the fact that there is no shot clock and the Canadians play a slow down game to counter the Americans depth and athletic midfield.

Box lacrosse is faster and promotes far more creativity then field lacrosse ever has. Some of the all time greats have deep roots in box. Find me players more creative then Gary and Paul Gait Tom Marachek John Grant jr all of the Thompson brothers Cody Jamieson Sid Smith Brett Bucktooth Randy and Austin Staats. Think of creative field players such as Casey and Ryan Powell who went on to thrive in box as did Matt Riter Regy Thorpe and many many more I could list. The Fil needs to overhaul its rules in a major way but it has nothing to do with box vs field it has to do with the fact that there is no shot clock and the Canadians play a slow down game to counter the Americans depth and athletic midfield.

I blame the box influence for the evolution of pinched heads and how it’s become virtually impossible to knock the ball loose in the field game.

I’m sure the Canadian and Native talent you mentioned above all developed their stick skills and vision in the box rink.

I don’t like coaching kids who refuse to work their weak hand because box lacrosse players don’t.

/end rant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom