Final Recruiting push | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Final Recruiting push

And PhatOrange some things may change with your list. New coordinators may have new ideas for who they want and who they bring in to finish out this recruiting class.

My guess is in-homes this week, no official visitors. New coaches have to get settled in...quickly.

Last edited:
And PhatOrange some things may change with your list. New coordinators may have new ideas for who they want and who they bring in to finish out this recruiting class.

My guess is in-homes this week, no official visitors. New coaches have to get settled in...quickly.

and I think that’s a terrible decision. There are only 3 weekends available and kids we want to recruit will have other visits being lined up over the next two available weekends. limiting yourself is never a good thing.

regarding coordinators Gilbert runs the same system. We’re going to recruit the same tackles. Arnett I have no idea except any system likes tall long lean cornerbacks.

and I think that’s a terrible decision. There are only 3 weekends available and kids we want to recruit will have other visits being lined up over the next two available weekends. limiting yourself is never a good thing.

regarding coordinators Gilbert runs the same system. We’re going to recruit the same tackles. Arnett I have no idea except any system likes tall long lean cornerbacks.
Not necessarily. Gilbert may evaluate what is on the roster and what he thinks is needed differently. I think you are going to see some of the kids on your list no longer being recruited.

I hear you. The slow pace of the coaching changes has definitely slowed down recruiting. I do understand if they want recruits to come when they have their new staff. Right now, there seems to still be uncertainty of who's going to be around.

The "oh we waited to long to hire coaches or the pace wasn't fast enough" is getting pretty old.
How do you know it was slow paced?
Maybe we had to wait on bowl games, buy outs, or coaches to tell their old team first?
This narrative of Dino being to slow in hiring coaches is a bunch of horse ...
We got an outstanding DC and oh well if we had to wait to announce or get him
We got an amazing offensive mind in Gilbert that knows the insides and outs of this system better then anyone on the staff, yes Dino included.
It's doubtful we lose out on any 'croots because of the 'slow' down.
This staff most likely communicated with the 'croots as to what is going on, see Ward firing for proof, and it will be fine as our two new DCs will hit the ground running.

/end rant

Not necessarily. Gilbert may evaluate what is on the roster and what he thinks is needed differently. I think you are going to see some of the kids on your list no longer being recruited.

I don't even know if kids on my list are being recruited now. I was just throwing out names of kids associated with Syracuse who are still shopping around.

There is no way our tackle or center situation will be signed off on by Gilbert as being OK and there is no way a kid like Reed is going to be a scratch. Gilbert may think we need different players but you can't ignore 1 out of 3 visit weekends and fill 8 slots with quality players.

At some point you might have to say screw it and bring in the best available kids, when those kids have visits planned next weekend and the weekend after good luck.

Last edited:
I hear you. The slow pace of the coaching changes has definitely slowed down recruiting. I do understand if they want recruits to come when they have their new staff. Right now, there seems to still be uncertainty of who's going to be around.

I could care less about that and I don't see slow playing 1 hire (ya know to get it right) that we needed to make having anything to do with 'slowed down recruiting.' You still have 9 coaches, recruiting coordinators and a big board.

Every other school was hiring coaches. Schools are not ignoring visit weekends because of silly excuses like we don't have a coach in place. The head guy is still here. You need to get players in when you can. And they get so many paid official visits (used to be like 55), you could bring kids in just for the heck of it.

To me these are glitches in our recruiting process that lead to poorer recruiting. The way we go about recruiting isn't exactly infallible.

I could care less about that and I don't see slow playing 1 hire (ya know to get it right) that we needed to make having anything to do with 'slowed down recruiting.' You still have 9 coaches, recruiting coordinators and a big board.

Every other school was hiring coaches. Schools are not ignoring visit weekends because of silly excuses like we don't have a coach in place. The head guy is still here. You need to get players in when you can. And they get so many paid official visits (used to be like 55), you could bring kids in just for the heck of it.

To me these are glitches in our recruiting process that lead to poorer recruiting. The way we go about recruiting isn't exactly infallible.

Is it possible that the X players that were originally on the list may have been surplanted by Y others and due to communication between the new coaches and the interest in the new Y? I get your frustration PO, I really do, but I have hope the CEO of this team knows what he is doing and has a plan that is going to be what is needed for the future and not just for the Feb signing.

The "oh we waited to long to hire coaches or the pace wasn't fast enough" is getting pretty old.
Maybe we had to wait on bowl games, buy outs, or coaches to tell their old team first?
We got an amazing offensive mind in Gilbert that knows the insides and outs of this system better then anyone on the staff, yes Dino included.
This staff most likely communicated with the 'croots as to what is going on, see Ward firing for proof, and it will be fine as our two new DCs will hit the ground running.

/end rant

except for using the term 'croots, your rant is dead on, sick of the stupid narrative about taking too long to hire the coordinators, just because us jackasses on this board didn't know about specific hires doesn't mean they weren't locked down and the recruits didn't know about them. you get the right guys, that's what matters, time will tell if they are, but on paper both are excellent hires.

but I have hope the CEO of this team knows what he is doing and has a plan that is going to be what is needed for the future and not just for the Feb signing.

Our current staff has ignored visit weekends before. Has it helped, has it hurt? who knows. What I do know is the best recruiting staff's don't ignore things like visit weekends. I just hope it wasn't for a lack of interested quality prospects. Here's my rub, we have 7/8 openings. We're just not looking to fill 1 or 2 spots, that would make it a bit more understandable.

Our current staff has ignored visit weekends before. Has it helped, has it hurt? who knows. What I do know is the best recruiting staff's don't ignore things like visit weekends. I just hope it wasn't for a lack of interested quality prospects. Here's my rub, we have 7/8 openings. We're just not looking to fill 1 or 2 spots, that would make it a bit more understandable.
So if the kids we actually want for those 7/8 openings are visiting for the Duke game, you'd rather rush them in this weekend just so we can have people on campus? Not sure I follow.

Our current staff has ignored visit weekends before. Has it helped, has it hurt? who knows. What I do know is the best recruiting staff's don't ignore things like visit weekends. I just hope it wasn't for a lack of interested quality prospects. Here's my rub, we're just not looking to fill 1 or 2 spots. It's more like 7 or 8.

Yeah... I get that. Maybe the weather had a part in it too...I don't know but I agree they have to be efficient and effective getting players on compass and getting verbals or it's going to be a struggle.

One thing about SU is that it may depend on who the coaches are than the selector schools. I just don't think kids dream about playing at SU and plus not being a huge state school they don't know about it until they actually visit.

Stay tuned for "As the Dome Turns" on your local internet station.

they have changed both coordinators, it is a guarantee, especially with Arnett and a brand new defense, that the new guys are going to have a different take on who they like and don't like and different connections to bring to the table. it is going to change things around and if that means bringing in these new faces over the last two weekends versus the last three, fine

except for using the term 'croots, your rant is dead on, sick of the stupid narrative about taking too long to hire the coordinators, just because us jackasses on this board didn't know about specific hires doesn't mean they weren't locked down and the recruits didn't know about them. you get the right guys, that's what matters, time will tell if they are, but on paper both are excellent hires.
I blame OttoinGrotto for my excessive use of 'croots ;)

GoOrangestuds0sWmXmrMYBl0.gif

/end rant
Wow. i managed to get bashed from both sides from different posters :)-i.e. Critical of the staff and excusing the staff.
I wasn't blaming the staff for the amount of time to name a new DC (at least not in that post). I was stating that the gap in between (which was over 2 months) DC's and accompanying uncertainty affected recruiting. One proof of it was having no recruits this weekend. I strongly believe that Dino wanted to get input from his new coordinators before any new commitments. I highly doubt in this age of social media that they had their guy locked up a while ago.
Having said that, if our new DC's are as great as people think they'll be, it's still worth it. I think Arnett will be really good, though it does sound like Long called the plays on Defense for SDSU, so I wouldn't state it as fact.

/end rant

Agreed. If there was anything overblown the last few weeks it was "why don't we have a new DC yet?"

(And I actually think "we *need* a QB in this class, even if they are a reach" is a close 2nd)

Wow. i managed to get bashed from both sides from different posters :)-i.e. Critical of the staff and excusing the staff.
I wasn't blaming the staff for the amount of time to name a new DC (at least not in that post). I was stating that the gap in between (which was over 2 months) DC's and accompanying uncertainty affected recruiting. One proof of it was having no recruits this weekend. I strongly believe that Dino wanted to get input from his new coordinators before any new commitments. I highly doubt in this age of social media that they had their guy locked up a while ago.
Having said that, if our new DC's are as great as people think they'll be, it's still worth it. I think Arnett will be really good, though it does sound like Long called the plays on Defense for SDSU, so I wouldn't state it as fact.

Getting the hire right >> Getting a few more 3* recruits

So if the kids we actually want for those 7/8 openings are visiting for the Duke game, you'd rather rush them in this weekend just so we can have people on campus? Not sure I follow.

If I knew that up front I likely would have held back a lot of what I said. It is VERY good to use that game as a tool.

(I also didnt say rush everyone in this weekend. But zero kids is curious when you only have 3 visit weekends left and a lot of holes. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. You need backup plans.) And these kids aren't waiting on us. So if kid XYZ has Tennessee trying to schedule for 2/1 than he's not coming here.)

Last edited:
Wasn't really trying to call you out directly.
You actually had some substance to your post.
Just overall frustration from the "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING" post :)

Love the guy or hate the guy, Pasqualoni and his staff recruited the best of any staff we've ever had. He would have OVs every available weekend. 3 weekends in December and every weekend in Jan leading up to signing day. Schiano will do the same thing. We have a different strategy.

Something I don't get is a school can offer so many official visits. I want to say it used to be 55. I don't know what the number is now but we clearly come nowhere near using all that we can. Why not? Are we saving money ?