Final Recruiting push | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Final Recruiting push

say we have 8 to fill. no doubt we have 1-2 that no one knows anything about seems like that happens every yr.

the new coord probably have very little over lap with what our big board was just based on location and school they were at.

I agree its gonna be hard to find high level guys to show up in 3 weeks who dont already have spots to go. But the change in style of the D might get a few kids to swap visits? nothing on the offensive side is changing all that much that, we name a new OC but is that gonna get someone to show up that wasnt before? unless he has an in we are still looking at the same kids

don't totally agree on the offensive side, beauty is in the eye of the beholder in recruiting, there are kids Gilbert might really like that we haven't pursued, maybe Dino and Lynch didn't like as much. certainly you would expect the defensive recruits to change a lot more with a big change in scheme.

I preface by saying I'm very excited about Arnett and the move to the 3-3-5. Love it. That said, SDSU played in a passing conference so I do wonder how the 35 will perform against the power run teams in our conference - BC/Pitt/NC State. This is where the rubber will meet the road.

I think we'll be nimble enough to mix it up based on the offense and I think we'll show some 5-2 looks. I believe our 3 down lineman are still going to have to be bigg'er', I don't think you'll see our 220LB sized Ends flanking our 1 280# DT. I think you'll see our two 'ends' in the 265 range ideally and I think you'll see us still try and recruit a few 300 NTs like Harper. I am very curious about Reynolds now following Dwumfour.

NC State runs the spread. Pitt has moved away from power running - but has a new OC I think. BC has a new coach.

I think the system is flexible and can account for those types of teams in ways that you mention. Just not sure we have a team that will be consistently a bludgeon type running team like BC has been in the past

So much is being discussed here.

The offensive line is going to be fine. 4 out of 5 guys back, with Bergeron and Servais in that group ...and Servais playing at his rightful position. Add that to the fact that the coaches have emphasized offensive line recruiting this cycle and we are getting set up nicely. Bleich coming on to help, Petry, and some other big bodies.

And yes, I am still hoping for Reed

Think one other DT is needed and a QB, obviously. Can't believe it sounds like we have yet another WR and RB recruit coming in for a visit before signing day.

I am all in on Arnett as DC. I will qualify this to say I NEVER wanted to see SU move to a 3 man front on defense, especially when we face so many big backs that just want to brutalize us. But after reading an article that was posted about the 3-3-5 and how it can be utilized effectively to stop the run (and has been), I'm in on Arnett. That, and the fact that if anyone is going to run such a defense, it should be him.

I'm hoping that these new coaches don't come in and blow up recruiting in these last few weeks, unless it means that we get our QB and DT ...or if they bring in some 4 star recruits (but I doubt it)

And I will never ever, ever begin referring to recruits as "'croots"
Agreed with pretty much everything but would be nice to know who our backup center is. We are a rolled ankle away from reverting to a line configuration that ranked one of the worst in college football. Hopefully we can find an able backup. We also really need the QB recruit box checked. Hoping our new OC can find us something new there.

Doesn't Clemson play q 3-3-5 Defense? If played right and of course the right players, it can shut down anybody.

Pitt had a new OC who passed the ball more last year. BC and NC State have new OC's this year. Though you always need to stop the run, might not come up as much with any of them as the past.

The fact is if we score fast teams won’t be able to grind it out on the ground either. Get a lead and force them to throw.