Final Recruiting push | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Final Recruiting push

they have changed both coordinators, it is a guarantee, especially with Arnett and a brand new defense, that the new guys are going to have a different take on who they like and don't like and different connections to bring to the table. it is going to change things around and if that means bringing in these new faces over the last two weekends versus the last three, fine

they will probably change direction on some kids (specifically defense) but pickings are slim right now.

Love the guy or hate the guy, Pasqualoni and his staff recruited the best of any staff we've ever had. He would have OVs every available weekend. 3 weekends in December and every weekend in Jan leading up to signing day. Schiano will do the same thing. We have a different strategy.

Something I don't get is a school can offer so many official visits. I want to say it used to be 55. I don't know what the number is now but we clearly come nowhere near using all that we can. Why not? Are we saving money ?
It's 56 annually 8/1-7/31.

I don't even know if kids on my list are being recruited now. I was just throwing out names of kids associated with Syracuse who are still shopping around.

There is no way our tackle or center situation will be signed off on by Gilbert as being OK and there is no way a kid like Reed is going to be a scratch. Gilbert may think we need different players but you can't ignore 1 out of 3 visit weekends and fill 8 slots with quality players.

At some point you might have to say screw it and bring in the best available kids, when those kids have visits planned next weekend and the weekend after good luck.
I wouldn't be so sure about Reed. And Arnett and Gilbert may have kids in mind that they were recruiting for SDSU and McNeese.

I wouldn't be so sure about Reed. And Arnett and Gilbert may have kids in mind that they were recruiting for SDSU and McNeese.

I'm sorry but I hope we're not be bringing in any FCS McNeese State kid. If you meant P5 kids that Gilbert is aware being in Louisiana then that's a little different.

If Arnett is recruiting this kid Darion Green Warren from Narbonne then I'm all in. SDSU pickings were slim. If he can get TE Kaleo Ballungay interested that's cool. But I think it's a tall order to get kids from California this late in the game.

USC Transfer QB Jack Sears is rumored to be heading to SDSU but he comes in as a redshirt junior doesn't really help (or maybe it does. IDK)

If Reed's grades are in order it's hard to believe a team that gave up a record number of sacks couldn't use a 6-6 325 OT that was once committed to Penn State and had multiple P5 offers.

I'm sorry but I hope we're not be bringing in any FCS McNeese State kid. If you meant P5 kids that Gilbert is aware being in Louisiana then that's a little different.

If Arnett is recruiting this kid Darion Green Warren from Narbonne then I'm all in. SDSU pickings were slim. If he can get TE Kaleo Ballungay interested that's cool. But I think it's a tall order to get kids from California this late in the game.

USC Transfer QB Jack Sears is rumored to be heading to SDSU but he comes in as a redshirt junior doesn't really help (or maybe it does. IDK)

If Reed's grades are in order it's hard to believe a team that gave up a record number of sacks couldn't use a 6-6 325 OT that was once committed to Penn State and had multiple P5 offers.

Recruiting is a long term relationship. Gilbert was at USF for two years before McNeese State. It's possible that there are kids that he was recruiting then that might still be available.

Warren signed with Michigan last month and Sears is going to SDSU.

Thought I'd throw some names out there as potential targets. Feel free to add on.

I'd be surprised if we did not sign a full class of 25. We have 7 openings.

We 'should' be having official visitors this weekend.

CB Chase Atkinson - 5-11 180 South Carolina (scheduled OV for this weekend)
OT Antwan Reed - OT - JUCO/MI (scheduled OV for 1/24)
OL Leif Magnuson - OL Canada
CB Rashad Battle - 6-2 187 Georgia
WR Da'Qon Stewart - 6-0 195 North Carolina (grades?)
CB Durante Jones - 6-2 170 Georgia
RB Ja'tarie Washington - 5-10 188 Florida (Peddie Prep NJ)
ATH Jahad Carter - 6-2 200 Virginia (Jirah Prep) (scheduled OV date unknown)

Wow. <sad face>
Where's the beef?

Just a QB for goodness sakes...

And 2 DTs. Biggest positions of need. Could use an interior OL, too.
How many freaking DBs and WRs do we need on this roster??? Twenty of each???

Why did we take such a step back after a ten-win season?

It doesn't make sense to me. Did we have such critical turnover in our staff that we lost our ace recruiter?

I don't remember anything remotely like Mike Hopkins leaving for Washington.

Usually, Dino is pulling rabbits out of hats, but this visit list is really disappointing.

And 2 DTs. Biggest positions of need. Could use an interior OL, too.
How many freaking DBs and WRs do we need on this roster??? Twenty of each???
DT is no longer a huge position of need since we only play one in the new defense but yes I would like us to still get one this cycle.
We need a lot of DBs and WRs.
Our defense will run 5 DBs at a time now.
The offense will still see alot of 4-5 WR sets.

Why did we take such a step back after a ten-win season?

It doesn't make sense to me. Did we have such critical turnover in our staff that we lost our ace recruiter?

I don't remember anything remotely like Mike Hopkins leaving for Washington.

Usually, Dino is pulling rabbits out of hats, but this visit list is really disappointing.

Perhaps you should wait for the actual visit lists next weekend and the weekend after and then see what rabbits appear.

DT is no longer a huge position of need since we only play one in the new defense but yes I would like us to still get one this cycle.

I preface by saying I'm very excited about Arnett and the move to the 3-3-5. Love it. That said, SDSU played in a passing conference so I do wonder how the 35 will perform against the power run teams in our conference - BC/Pitt/NC State. This is where the rubber will meet the road.

I think we'll be nimble enough to mix it up based on the offense and I think we'll show some 5-2 looks. I believe our 3 down lineman are still going to have to be bigg'er', I don't think you'll see our 220LB sized Ends flanking our 1 280# DT. I think you'll see our two 'ends' in the 265 range ideally and I think you'll see us still try and recruit a few 300 NTs like Harper. I am very curious about Reynolds now following Dwumfour.

I preface by saying I'm very excited about Arnett and the move to the 3-3-5. Love it. That said, SDSU played in a passing conference so I do wonder how the 35 will perform against the power run teams in our conference - BC/Pitt/NC State. This is where the rubber will meet the road.

I think we'll be nimble enough to mix it up based on the offense and I think we'll show some 5-2 looks. I believe our 3 down lineman are still going to have to be bigg'er', I don't think you'll see our 220LB sized Ends flanking our 1 280# DT. I think you'll see our two 'ends' in the 265 range ideally and I think you'll see us still try and recruit a few 300 NTs like Harper. I am very curious about Reynolds now following Dwumfour.

I'm hoping to see a little more rotation regarding the LB's and hopefully that will help stop the power running teams as the young LB's will be gaining experience. I know this is tough because you want the starters to get snaps but as you wrote one group of 3-3-5 might not be a effective as another group 3-3-5...curious on how they will plug and play.

So much is being discussed here.

The offensive line is going to be fine. 4 out of 5 guys back, with Bergeron and Servais in that group ...and Servais playing at his rightful position. Add that to the fact that the coaches have emphasized offensive line recruiting this cycle and we are getting set up nicely. Bleich coming on to help, Petry, and some other big bodies.

And yes, I am still hoping for Reed

Think one other DT is needed and a QB, obviously. Can't believe it sounds like we have yet another WR and RB recruit coming in for a visit before signing day.

I am all in on Arnett as DC. I will qualify this to say I NEVER wanted to see SU move to a 3 man front on defense, especially when we face so many big backs that just want to brutalize us. But after reading an article that was posted about the 3-3-5 and how it can be utilized effectively to stop the run (and has been), I'm in on Arnett. That, and the fact that if anyone is going to run such a defense, it should be him.

I'm hoping that these new coaches don't come in and blow up recruiting in these last few weeks, unless it means that we get our QB and DT ...or if they bring in some 4 star recruits (but I doubt it)

And I will never ever, ever begin referring to recruits as "'croots"

Curious if Arnett looks at tackling or speed ability in HS players at the LB position? Obviously both are preferred but as Phat Orange and Orijinal pointed out the big backs are a tough bring down vs the 4-3 and the 3-3-5 has it's advantages a hole hitters/blitz but when it comes to straight up 1 on 1 it could get interesting.

Maybe why a partial reason why the change in tactics in the recruiting weekends and cancelling this one?

Perhaps one of the reasons we’re switching to a new defense is because we have trouble recruiting quality DTs.

Yeah I get they have a more pass happy league.
Looking over the stats from last year for SDSU defense.
Rushing avg was 2.8 ypc and 75.4 ypg.
Those are pretty good also our league has been moving away from the power run. Pitt attempted to move pass heavy, worked a bit, and we don't know if the new guy at BC will be a meathead or not.
As long as our front 3 stays gap sound it will give the LBers room to work and if our "otto back" or whatever we are calling the extra db is in the mold of a db/lb hybrid I could see us having success against the run minus kids like Etienne, etc.

Pitt had a new OC who passed the ball more last year. BC and NC State have new OC's this year. Though you always need to stop the run, might not come up as much with any of them as the past.

Last edited:
Pitt had a new OC who passed the ball more last year. BC and NC State have no OC's this year. Though you always need to stop the run, might not come up as much with any of them as the past.

Maybe but they recruit power backs.

say we have 8 to fill. no doubt we have 1-2 that no one knows anything about seems like that happens every yr.

the new coord probably have very little over lap with what our big board was just based on location and school they were at.

I agree its gonna be hard to find high level guys to show up in 3 weeks who dont already have spots to go. But the change in style of the D might get a few kids to swap visits? nothing on the offensive side is changing all that much that, we name a new OC but is that gonna get someone to show up that wasnt before? unless he has an in we are still looking at the same kids