Fire Marrone now. Hire Sumlin. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fire Marrone now. Hire Sumlin.

I call BS. He had a much different tone after the WVU game and now 3 weeks later it's time for Marrone to go. I don't disagree that he wasn't high on Marrone from day 1, because I know he wasn't from reading his posts. As far as I'm concerned though, if you buy in, you buy in and ride it out. Complaining and being frustrated is a lot different than calling for a coach to be fired after a 3 game losing streak. I get it, people want to win, especially after the GROB era.

If you think Sumlin, with no NE recruiting contacts, is going to walk into the SU job 3 years ago and subsequently land Ishaq and Jarron Jones, you're kidding yourself. If your critical because you have unrealistic expectations, that's your own problem.
Several things:

I am 100% certain that the WFVU game didn't change Tristan's opinion of Marrone 1 iota. Tristan never bought in.

Sumlin doesn't necessarily need to land Ishaq and Jarron to improve recruiting. The question is, would his system appeal to the best offensive skill talent residing in the northeast moreso and sooner than whatever Marrone is pitching? I think it would.

Can people please stop with the unrealistic expectations canard? It is not an unrealistic expectation to think we can and should perform better.

I call BS. He had a much different tone after the WVU game and now 3 weeks later it's time for Marrone to go.
If you think Sumlin, with no NE recruiting contacts, is going to walk into the SU job 3 years ago and subsequently land Ishaq and Jarron Jones, you're kidding yourself. If your critical because you have unrealistic expectations, that's your own problem.

you are lying.

1. I was in the process of moving to Dubai from NYC the week of the WV game - that was my first saturday here with my family. Not sure I posted at all except to say congrats, but still not a fan (and to applaud nassib for being 10 times the man that paulus was). so you are just making this up. not necessary.

2. You are on crack. what? you think because marrone was in NY decades ago as a DIII college coach he had all sorts of contacts? contacts from the jets? BS. Sumlin can hire assistants with the contacts and he can close on the recruits.

I dont get why you guys even follow this sport if you dont get how it works.

As much as I want to see Marrone win since he is here right now, I just dont see it happening. Everyone rips on GROB as they should but right now Marrone has not recruited any better then Greg, in fact I think Grobs classes were better. A large part of the reason we were any good last year was because of Gregs players, ie Carter, Hogue, Smith, Sales, Provo, etc. As far as his gameplans, they have been atrocious, I dont know how long or if he will ever realize that NFL offenses dont work in college unless you have elite talent like USC. The whole arguement about not haveing the right players for his system is the worst excuse, if Toledo can do it with the talent they have, or what Bowling Green did when Meyer was there, im pretty sure Syracuse can do it too. And if Nassib is that bad, then it is on the coaches to go out and get a QB that can actually play in there system, whatever it might be, but they havent been able to do that.

Logically Marrone should get a 4th year, but I dont think we will see much difference, especially if we stick with Nassib and run 12 straight runs up the middle to start games. I hope he changes his system and makes changes such as hiring a competent OC but I dont think his ego will allow him to do it.

hardly posted for the reason stated above, but i said Congrats, nassib is much better than paulus, marrone sucks.

Uhh no you didn't.

Unless saying "Congrats Coach great win for the program" is the same as Marrone Sucks.

Several things:

I am 100% certain that the WFVU game didn't change Tristan's opinion of Marrone 1 iota. Tristan never bought in.

Sumlin doesn't necessarily need to land Ishaq and Jarron to improve recruiting. The question is, would his system appeal to the best offensive skill talent residing in the northeast moreso and sooner than whatever Marrone is pitching? I think it would.

Can people please stop with the unrealistic expectations canard? It is not an unrealistic expectation to think we can and should perform better.

My comment on unrealistic expectations was specific to recruiting Ishaq and Jarron Jones, not to whether you feel 5-5 at this point in year 3 is acceptabe or not. I misread the first few posts, I thought Tristan was saying that having Sumlin here would have helped in landing Ishaq and Jones...so that's my mistake.

But his tone was different after that game, whether he wants to admit it or not.

about about this...retain Marrone, get a real spread OC.

I know it's not germane to your post, but he doesn't.
His scout says Alabama offered him. I think someone on here said South Carolina is one of the teams he was looking at.

From what I remembered I thought he had more SEC offers. Maybe I was confusing him with someone else.

His scout says Alabama offered him. I think someone on here said South Carolina is one of the teams he was looking at.

From what I remembered I thought he had more SEC offers. Maybe I was confusing him with someone else.

The reality is he doesn't have an Alabama offer and if I am not mistaken, he might get a South Carolina one if he visits. I'm pretty sure he'll wear orange but as you know these things are never over till the LOI is signed.

The reality is he doesn't have an Alabama offer and if I am not mistaken, he might get a South Carolina one if he visits. I'm pretty sure he'll wear orange but as you know these things are never over till the LOI is signed.

Why does scout say he has a 'Bama offer? They make a mistake or something? His rivals page says so too.

Why does scout say he has a 'Bama offer? They make a mistake or something? His rivals page says so too.

Good question. Sometimes the recruiting sites list schools that the kid says they have offers from. Sometimes it is some wishful thinking, or a verbal and not written, or they think they had an offer. At both sites when we were at either, I know there were often a lot of kids that the offer list was not 100% correct.

Houston went 5-7 last year because they literally lost their top THREE QB's..not just Case...they had to have open tryouts at the position for depth.

btw, wr edwards and tyrone carrier are NFL talents

Thats a statement of someone who just doesnt know anything about college football. Sumlin has been an excellent recruiter and great coach for a long time. unfortunately you just dont know what you are talking about.

What is Sumlin's all-time head coaching record without Keenum?

5-7

In CUSA.

You have extremely low expectations if that is what you consider "great."

Great argument, though. Really. You're a football genius!

Question, when Marrone finally gets a QB that lets him run his system and on the chance that it's successful, it's cool if I give all the credit to that player and not to Marrone, right?

Keenum isn't Sumlin's Quarterback.

And Holgorsen gets the credit for installing the system they are using now.

You don't get it. Fans aren't coming. There's not a winner to see. In the absence of a winner, why would a fan come to the game?

I get it. This isn't a difficult concept. Fans won't come to see a loser even if they're scoring 100 ppg.

"In the absence of a winner..." Is this what it's come to? Who can provide us with the prettiest losses?

Bad bad post Tristy. Do some research and you see that Sumlin would be a huge risk. And unless you have a sure fire HC out there, firing Marrone would be a big risk. Besides Leach there isn't one out there.

I get it. This isn't a difficult concept. Fans won't come to see a loser even if they're scoring 100 ppg.

"In the absence of a winner..." Is this what it's come to? Who can provide us with the prettiest losses?
Given how low the expectations are for some, yes. We have the worst of everything right now. We lose, and we lose ugly. Last year we were a winner. Did it help attendance much?

Given how low the expectations are for some, yes. We have the worst of everything right now. We lose, and we lose ugly. Last year we were a winner. Did it help attendance much?
the attendance is way better this year. i don't care what numbers gross reported last year. and it's because we finally beat some bcs teams at home. last year we didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom