Fire Marrone now. Hire Sumlin. | Syracusefan.com

Fire Marrone now. Hire Sumlin.

SaintTristan

Starter
Marrone doesnt have it. he cant recruit great players and he cant coach-up the kids he can recruit. I see no reason to waste any more time on this clown. Nutt was fired after 3.5 seasons. Shannon was fired after 4 seasons. etc etc etc Its time we do the same.

Many years ago I said that because SU lacks local recruiting and because we are not a traditional football power, we are at a serious disadvantage, and we have to build on a non traditional football program. We need to get some skill players and we need to put fans back in the seats and you do that by scoring. running an offense that kids want to be a part of. Sumlin can do that. He is not getting studs at houston yet they score. a lot. They are fun to watch. And kids will want to play for him in the ACC. And if we are putting 45 points on the board every night fans will pack the dome. dont worry about defense yet. build a team that is winning games 55-50.

sumlin can put SU back on the map. we are wasting time with marrone. make him the Assistant AD since he is so good at making rules for the players and charming alums.

Many years ago I said that because SU lacks local recruiting and because we are not a traditional football power, we are at a serious disadvantage, and we have to build on a non traditional football program.

Sumlin would be a good hire. The only legit option I've seen proposed. I honestly want to see this happen now. Will he be as good without Keenum though?

I think saying we have no local talent is stupid. Jarron Jones is the top DT in the country and he's from Rochester. Ishaq Williams was one of the top recruits in the country last year. Wayne Morgan has offers from many SEC schools. etc...

I just saw there are 2 4 star kids from NY we lost to fellow Big East schools. Montrell Dobbs to UConn and Gerod Holliman to Louisville.

I think saying we have no local talent is stupid. Jarron Jones is the top DT in the country and he's from Rochester. Ishaq Williams was one of the top recruits in the country last year. Wayne Morgan has offers from many SEC schools. etc...

I just saw there are 2 4 star kids from NY we lost to fellow Big East schools. Montrell Dobbs to UConn and Gerod Holliman to Louisville.

what? Any geography teachers in the house?

Ishaq was local...to Brooklyn.

Morgan was local...to brooklyn.

Thats not local. Thats NYC. Thats five hours away. I am talking about local. If you have to go to NYC to find "local" players you are in trouble.

It really has come down to someone who can recruit, as well as bring in a decent, well rounded staff. Syracuse will be the Vandy of the ACC if Marrone sticks around for another 5 years. I want the guy to succeed being an Alum and all, but I cant think of one thing besides immediate playing time that would sell me on playing at SU if I i'm a legit Division 1 prospect. Its sad, but the program is declining back into the Grob days more then its reverting back to SU in the 90's. Take away the WV game and this season is a border line disaster via the eye test.

im starting to think the good doctor is incapable of a good football hire-

if marrone didnt hire scheaffer we dont win many if any games since he was hired-his offense has been horrid since day 1 and hasnt improved a lick-

the 300 personal fouls the last 3 weeks shows a lack of disipline-one thing i thought marrone would bring to the table that robinson didnt

Start with leach or rich rod, then sumlin, if that doesn't work you call Larry fedora at southern miss, who should know how to recruit the south. They should do it now though year 3 is enough to see that Marrone is not special and never going to be great. A good coach with this schedule in year 3 should be 9-3 8-4 at worst, at worst

Marrone doesnt have it. he cant recruit great players and he cant coach-up the kids he can recruit. I see no reason to waste any more time on this clown. Nutt was fired after 3.5 seasons. Shannon was fired after 4 seasons. etc etc etc Its time we do the same.

Many years ago I said that because SU lacks local recruiting and because we are not a traditional football power, we are at a serious disadvantage, and we have to build on a non traditional football program. We need to get some skill players and we need to put fans back in the seats and you do that by scoring. running an offense that kids want to be a part of. Sumlin can do that. He is not getting studs at houston yet they score. a lot. They are fun to watch. And kids will want to play for him in the ACC. And if we are putting 45 points on the board every night fans will pack the dome. dont worry about defense yet. build a team that is winning games 55-50.

sumlin can put SU back on the map. we are wasting time with marrone. make him the Assistant AD since he is so good at making rules for the players and charming alums.
i believe we need to stay the course with marrone and the staff--doug needs to take more chances, and recruit better, he is building a good foundation, but changing coaches every 3 years is not the answer. last year he was eveyones hero----this year so far everyones goat----lightenup and stick it out. i believe marone will get the job done---the biggest problem here is recruiting, he needs two more years----

last year he was eveyones hero----this year so far everyones goat----lightenup and stick it out. i believe marone will get the job done---the biggest problem here is recruiting, he needs two more years----

Wasnt my hero. I looked at the schedule and thought a spider monkey with a learning disability could have had the same record.

As for IB, would love Leach, i just dont think SU is ready to gamble on someone like that. I dont have a thought on RR but will think about him in the context of SU and the ACC. But I am very very confident that Sumlin can build a fun program and just as important get the dome rocking. Publicity? ESPN doest discuss the highlights from 21-14 games. 55-50? Ya, that makes sports center.

Time is now.

Wasnt my hero. I looked at the schedule and thought a spider monkey with a learning disability could have had the same record.

As for IB, would love Leach, i just dont think SU is ready to gamble on someone like that. I dont have a thought on RR but will think about him in the context of SU and the ACC. But I am very very confident that Sumlin can build a fun program and just as important get the
dome rocking. Publicity? ESPN doest discuss the highlights from 21-14 games. 55-50? Ya, that makes sports center.

The administration knows that a mistake was made when they let grob have a 4th year, don't make the same mistake with Doug. His record against bcs opponents speaks for itself

Gross also needs someone far more dynamic to lead fundraising... These guys aren't getting it done

Time is now

Why does Shaefer get a free pass? His defense is absolutely horrible. They can't stop anyone. The have safeties playing linebacker and I still haven't figured out why Marinovich plays. He can't tackle. Teams run right at him and he's completely blown away. He might have one sack this year. Our tackles are Div. 2 size and our linebackers are high school size. It's not hard to figure why we can't stop the run.

Why does Shaefer get a free pass? His defense is absolutely horrible. They can't stop anyone. The have safeties playing linebacker and I still haven't figured out why Marinovich plays. He can't tackle. Teams run right at him and he's completely blown away. He might have one sack this year. Our tackles are Div. 2 size and our linebackers are high school size. It's not hard to figure why we can't stop the run.

So you're saying we don't have the talent to stop the other team. Then you blame that on Shafer's defensive scheme. I realize some of them may be his recruits but you're using a circular argument like many irrational/emotional fans on this board.

Fortunately, you have absolutely no control of this program because if people like you did, we'd have a new coach twice a year.

This thread is out of control. Marrone isn't going anywhere for at least another year, hopefully longer than that.

Do changes need to be made internally? Absolutely. Do threads like this need to be started? Absolutely not.

Anyone have a launch code? I want to call in a nuke strike on this thread.

Absolutely.This is the moron fan thread of all time. I understand it,because this is what fans do,but it's the reason people that starts these things are fans and don't have there hands on any controls( Thank God)

one of your worst posts ever and you have had a lot of them. feel ashamed and embarrassed and pull your pants up as you walk away in misery.

Sumlin would put more fans in the seats and establish his identity from day one.

Start with leach or rich rod, then sumlin, if that doesn't work you call Larry fedora at southern miss, who should know how to recruit the south. They should do it now though year 3 is enough to see that Marrone is not special and never going to be great. A good coach with this schedule in year 3 should be 9-3 8-4 at worst, at worst
After year three, given they had some success, they would take the first B1G, SEC, or any other big school coaching offer that came along. Then we would have to start the process all over again.

I think there is little doubt that if Syracuse wishes to be more in the ACC than it is now in the BE, that it must get a new HC. And if taking Sumlin would keep him away from UNC, I say go get him.

Houston is a one of a kind place. For athletes, it is little more than open admission, and the 200 miles around the city produces at least as much talent, much of its dumb as posts, as New England, NY, NJ, and eastern PA combined. Coaches can win there, when Houston is able to draw huge amounts of area talent, and never have any shot to be more than average anywhere else.

Jack Pardee, who coached Andrew Ware, was never worth much anywhere else. Pardee's successor, John Jenkins, who had David Klingler as QB who took most of Ware's records, turned into a big loser once he no longer had a QB who fit the system perfectly.

If you think Sumlin could recruit to Syracuse the kind of talent he has at Houston, you are naive - there just aren't enough dumb football players with that level of raw talent in the northeast. If you think that the level of talent Houston has would be able to do more than go 6-6 playing all current ACC teams, you are naive.

CUSA is very weak, and Houston easily has the most talent in the league. So Sumlin seems to be as good a coach as Pardee and Jenkins once did.

And what was Houston's record last year when Keenum was hurt?

I think there is little doubt that if Syracuse wishes to be more in the ACC than it is now in the BE, that it must get a new HC. And if taking Sumlin would keep him away from UNC, I say go get him.

Houston is a one of a kind place. For athletes, it is little more than open admission, and the 200 miles around the city produces at least as much talent, much of its dumb as posts, as New England, NY, NJ, and eastern PA combined. Coaches can win there, when Houston is able to draw huge amounts of area talent, and never have any shot to be more than average anywhere else.

Jack Pardee, who coached Andrew Ware, was never worth much anywhere else. Pardee's successor, John Jenkins, who had David Klingler as QB who took most of Ware's records, turned into a big loser once he no longer had a QB who fit the system perfectly.

If you think Sumlin could recruit to Syracuse the kind of talent he has at Houston, you are naive - there just aren't enough dumb football players with that level of raw talent in the northeast. If you think that the level of talent Houston has would be able to do more than go 6-6 playing all current ACC teams, you are naive.

CUSA is very weak, and Houston easily has the most talent in the league. So Sumlin seems to be as good a coach as Pardee and Jenkins once did.

And what was Houston's record last year when Keenum was hurt?
Fair points. I would at least take comfort in knowing that Sumlin would try to accomplish something on offense immediately. That's a gamble I'd take.

Fair points. I would at least take comfort in knowing that Sumlin would try to accomplish something on offense immediately. That's a gamble I'd take.
You could take that gamble with many coaches. Leach would be the best bet to want the job badly and to hit it burning with desire. Lubbock is the anti-Houston, in that there is very little talent within 200 miles of campus.

Malzahn would be a great hire. I think June Jones and Larry Fedora are the CUSA HCs who are most likely to do well in a BCS AQ league. Illinois OC Paul Petrino would be a good possibility.

If you think Sumlin could recruit to Syracuse the kind of talent he has at Houston, you are naive - there just aren't enough dumb football players with that level of raw talent in the northeast.

1. I think that Sumlin has much more, no infinitely more, credibility when walking into a playmaker's living room than Marrone does. Sumlin walks into that living room and the QB is salivating at the thought of playing for a coach who can orchestrate that offense. I think marrone walks into a living room and the kids are wondering who he is.

2. The Marrone apologists keep telling us about the diamonds in the rough that marrone is recruiting. Thats obviously BS. But sumlin is actually finding them. he is recruiting in a ripe territory - true - but its being picked over by the SEC, B12 and every other major program. He is getting the kids they didnt want...and he is actually finding good ones.

3. Sumlin comes to the NE and he will be the premier name in the region.

Syracuse is screwing this up in a very big way. With the PSU mess we have never had a better chance to become to the PROGRAM in the north east / mid atlantic region. Go get the "name coach" that can make it happen. Marrone cant.

Why can't they hire an innovator? Someone who does something slightly different. The era of ground and pound was great in the 80s and 90s, but nowadays winning is about creating confusion. Even the freeze option of the old days did that. But GROB and Marrone don't seem to challenge defenses.

Go get someone like that high school coach who refuses to punt. Ever. That'll scare the bejesus out of the DCs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom