First Blast: UConn Tailgate | Syracusefan.com

First Blast: UConn Tailgate

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
When: Nov 5th
Time: TBD expect to start 4 hrs before kickoff (if a nooner it will be probably 3.5 hrs)
Where: Aero Club (across the street form the Rent on Silver Lane)

What to bring: This one will be on Cuseguy and others who have cars to drive in Food and Equipment. If rain is in the forecast we'll need canopies. If it is expected to be cold...we'll need 2 canopies with panels and propane heaters. We'll need the normal assortment of a couple grills, tables, etc... Chime in if you know you are coming and what you can bring.

Cuseguy will be running the show...I'll let him decide the menu and theme.

Motels...if you plan on staying over: there are two hotels within a reasonable walking distance (if you are in shape). See my Tailgate Guide for more info on the Aero Club and Motels.

www.texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com

BTW, I'll bring in something from Texas to share. Probably Texas Dry Sausage Jalepano Sticks.

Update:

Good news parking is still $10. And they have heated indoor bathrooms.

My Dad and I are looking to go to this game. Does anyone have any idea when they will post the game time?

I'm thinking noon game. UConn is in the tank. We're just a little better.

I'll be at the game, but my presence at the tailgate will determine whether or not we take a student fan bus. If it's just me driving, I'll be there.

LOL. Dude, thats the USF/UCONN game. This is the syracuse board. hahaha

D'oh!!! I'm going to both of those games and got all confused! My face is Orange! Mea Culpa

Aero Club Update from the Aero Club discussion over at the Boneyard. Thanks to TMB4405 for the answers

1. Lot opens 4 hours before kickoff like the other lots? They actually open a bit earlier than 4 hours on a regular day. Also, I called once when we were having a big tailgate and they said that for us that would have someone there to let us in 5 hours before kickoff and they did.

2. If you arrive at different times you can still park next to each other? You can "save" spots informally

3. They have real restrooms? Yes, they are located inside the Aero Club Building towards the north end of the lot. It is heated too if cold.

4. You can have an open fire and throw footballs? Yes

5. It is a closer walk than the red lot? Note: For Cuse fans the red lot is the cash lot on the south end of the stadium. The Aero Club Lot is about a 5-10 min walk to the stadium. The Red Lot is further and i would expect much more verbal abuse on your walk.

6. Less traffic on the way out? Definitely easy out. Last week they did allow you to take a right out the back (like they always did before the first two games this year). Right, left, left and on the highway! This is if you are headed west. If you are heading east you would exit on Silver Lane with a right and the on ramp is just down on the right.

7. Cost? $10 for a car to park. RVs/Buses $20

8. Link for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft Club.

Link showing the location...the building is at the back of the lot but it goes basically all the way south to Silver Lane. The Rent is a couple hundred yards south of Silver Lane. The Aero Club addres is 200 Clement Rd, east Hartford, CT. However the main entrance is on Silver Lane.

Now if you like staying closeby the Ramada and Comfort Inn are within walking distance of the tailgate lot. You just need to walk over the bridge and take a right down Clement Road.

Map of Motels

It isn't a bad walk but it was more than 5 or 10 minutes. Plus you cut through a LOT of other parking areas with tailgating. Which hotel is everyone staying at?

My legs are longer...;)

Anyways like you said not a bad walk...plus going through the Blue Lot wasn't too bad as it is a higher level donor lot. I've heard horror stories walking through the red lot.

I'm staying at my son's in Cambridge, MA. Personally I would book two nights in CT and modify it as soon as the kickoff is announced.

I talked to BK76 yesterday. A possibility we might have some students join us. They might be coming via charter bus but more likely individual cars.

BTW, I'll buy some TX Jalepano Dry Sausage and bring it up.

I passed along the information to my Otto's Army colleagues. At the very least, I'll be coming, but I think we'll pull the bus off. We're also trying to do one for Pitt.

If anybody has two UConn tix to sell, please let me know. I want to try to get tix from this board before I try the SU ticket office. Thanks.

TexanMark,
My family and my brother's family will be in the Aero lot tailgating as well. Good mixture of SU/UConn grads. My brother and all 3 of his sons are SU Law Grads, my oldest daughter is an SU grad, and another of my daughters is a UConn grad. We'll have the SU/UConn tents standing next to each other. Stop by or we'll stop by and say hello. We usually try and end up towards the back towards the gym/restrooms.

They typically announce kick-off time the Monday before the game..

So who is actually going from the Syracuse area?

Just picked up twelve tickets for myself and friends coming from Scranton, Harrisburg, and NYC. I'm pretty excited and am expecting to see a bunch of Orange fans there.
My college housemate is planning a tailgate and is torn between normal tailgate food or a pig roast? I've never been to a pig roast - Any opinions on the matter?

Just picked up twelve tickets for myself and friends coming from Scranton, Harrisburg, and NYC. I'm pretty excited and am expecting to see a bunch of Orange fans there.
My college housemate is planning a tailgate and is torn between normal tailgate food or a pig roast? I've never been to a pig roast - Any opinions on the matter?

If he is going to do a pig roast...you can do it at the Aircraft Club Lot.
Pig Roast is cool...but before committing you better wait until the kickoff time is known. I would cancel the pig roast if it is a nooner...no one will want to eat pork at 10am

Thanks for the help. I'll relay the info to him.

I'll bring beer, finger food, and maybe some Chili, (it'll be hot)

Well it's a Nooner...sigh

Tailgate Kickoff will be 8-8:30ish
Look for us to set up near the Aircraft Club Building towards the rear of the lot.

Send me a PM here if you want to exchange cell phone numbers to facilitate finding our group.

My wife and I will bring our standard Brooklyn Italian bakery cookies.

I'll post something early next week about the tailgate. My mother-in-law is very ill, so I'm getting worried about her and upcoming su dates.