First cuse game you remember watching? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

First cuse game you remember watching?

I'm not sure of the first game I attended. I have to assume that it was around '76 0r '77. The first one I remember was 1/17/79 when SU beat Siena 144-92. I remember people singing (maybe along with the band) Beat Siena to the chorus of My Sharona. I loved the Manley Zoo. The So What, Who Cares..., I believe the fans also through streamers or something onto the court when SU scored their first basket. We had season tickets up near the top of section B. I moved to Syracuse when I was in 3rd grade and sat next to Danforth's daughter in class. She moved that summer down to New Orleans when Roy got the job at Tulane.

My first recollection was 75-76 (JB's 1st, Louie + Bouie were frosh) - the march thru the ECAC's (Niagara + St Bona) and win over Ernie/Bernie's Tenn club.

I went to manley in 79, I was 6, watched the cuse play DePaul. The game that caught my eye was tony red bruin vs houston i 83, then 84 came with the pearl, and have been going since. now my 10 year old has season tix with me,. soon enough my 7 and 4 year old will as well. not sure wife ever will, she may just say, go get em boys. best game ever in dome, for me was 03 win vs pitt!!!

I was born in 84. Wasn't a cuse fan until college, but lived in suburban NY so I had a vague recollection of them. Pretty sure the first cuse game I remember watching was the game against Georgia in 96.

I also have a vague recollection of being on vacation, I think in 2000, and seeing them win a Big Monday game to go to like 18-0 or something.

For me it was the championship game in '87. I was 12-years old, and I had watched/attended games before this, but this is the first game I vividly remember.
I will never forget staying up late on a school night and crying when Smart hit the shot. It's weird, but I recognize now that the painful moment when that shot went in was the exact moment when I became a Syracuse fan for life.
I have had other sports idols and a favorite teams, but I have never loved any team more than SU basketball.

I'm not sure of the first game I attended. I have to assume that it was around '76 0r '77. The first one I remember was 1/17/79 when SU beat Siena 144-92. I remember people singing (maybe along with the band) Beat Siena to the chorus of My Sharona. I loved the Manley Zoo. The So What, Who Cares..., I believe the fans also through streamers or something onto the court when SU scored their first basket. We had season tickets up near the top of section B. I moved to Syracuse when I was in 3rd grade and sat next to Danforth's daughter in class. She moved that summer down to New Orleans when Roy got the job at Tulane.
Totally remember "Beat Siena...dada da da dum dum..." funny sh**t:rolling:

Born in 77. All I can remember is the 87 title game of that season.

I was born in 84. Wasn't a cuse fan until college, but lived in suburban NY so I had a vague recollection of them. Pretty sure the first cuse game I remember watching was the game against Georgia in 96.

I also have a vague recollection of being on vacation, I think in 2000, and seeing them win a Big Monday game to go to like 18-0 or something.

that was against uconn, who may have been ranked #1 at the time. that was same day as my 21st bday.

edit: looks like uconn was ranked 6, oh well

i was born in '79, i vaguely remember the championship game in '87, but the first game i really remember watching was when michigan came to the dome in '88 when they had gary grant. even though i loved syracuse i remember liking gary grant. also 1 of the earliest games i remember watching was when we played at kentucky with the blue unis which i think was '88 as well.
Duke vs Syracuse 1966 NCAA , All others I listened to on Radio, Season Tix from 1970 to 1986

Attended my first SU game before most of you were born -- and before Manley was built. It was December 1959 at the War Memorial, and the opponent was Cornell. We lost. And two seasons later, I was there for several games as we set what was then the all-time NCAA losing record. With only a couple of hundred folks in attendance. Totally different world.

The first game I vividly remember watching is Providence in Final Four...I know I watched a bunch of 87 games (and even watched a bunch of games in 86 according to my mom), but I that's the one I can remember where I was, etc.

that was against uconn, who may have been ranked #1 at the time. that was same day as my 21st bday.

edit: looks like uconn was ranked 6, oh well

If it was your 21st then I think we'll let a slight memory mistake slide...

Football: Aloha Bowl 1990

Basketball: BE Championship game vs Gtown March 92

January 8, 1977 vs American at Manley. I was 12 years old and had just moved to Syracuse and was a huge basketball fan. We moved around a lot but wherever we ended up we would go to the local college games. Mary College, Portland State, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma Community College and then we moved to Syracuse. Needless to say (but I'm gonna say it anyhow) none of those schools had players like Dale Shackelford, Rosie Bouie and Louie Orr. And none had huge arenas that sat almost 10,000 screaming fans. I was in heaven and my blood turned Orange that night.

Hard to believe no one mentioned Leo Rautins, Erich Santifer & Red Bruin years - that was a fun team to watch.

I was born in 1970. I do not remember any of the NCAA 1975 FF run as I was only 4 years old. My first game live was Manley 1978 against Iona I do remember that. This was also the first year I actually followed the NCAA tournament. The game that I actually became obsessed with Syracuse basketball was in 1980 when we beat Purdue at Purdue (who had Joe Barry Carroll and Rosie Bouie ate him for lunch). I had a hockey game in Cortland and we stayed in the parking lot and put a transistor radio on top of my dads car and stood outside the car and listened to that entire game. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Once we got to the Dome I went to most games, especially starting in like 1983. How times have changed. I took my son when he was 3 for the first time and he is now 12 and has attended close to 100 games in his lifetime.

My first was the game after that at Manley against Rhode Island where we squeaked it out at the end but Shackleford had like 25 pts. Many games since. Good times.

I was born in 1951 (yes I'm old)...The first game I heard on the radio was the Davidson / CUSE game in 1966 for the NCAA Regionals. The first game I saw in person was @ Manley as a student in 1972 vs American Univ. I was a somewhat regular in the Manley Zoo section between 72-75. I loved those years with Roy's Runts!

The first game I attended was the first home game of my freshman year in '68 against Penn State. Although we won the game 71-51, the team only won five home games that year and nine total. Despite the level of play being pretty dismal (Depaul/USF quality), I was hooked on the Manley Field House atmosphere and the Zoo. That was back in the day when there was a freshman game that preceded the varsity. I missed the frosh game that nite and found out later on the a pal of mine from my high school team played for Oswego against the SU frosh. We had a pretty decent freshman tream as I recall, Mike Lee, Greg "Kid" Kohls, the jumping jack Mark Wadach. but nobody over 6'4". Different times!

Hard to believe no one mentioned Leo Rautins, Erich Santifer & Red Bruin years - that was a fun team to watch.

I can still see Erich throwing the ball into the air as time expired for a victory against Phi Slamma Jamma. The Dome was insane that day. He also was on the team that came to my high school for a scrimmage. Along with first being exposed to Louie and Bouie on the radio, those games from the early Dome years are what made me a fan for life.

My freshman year was the '93-'94 season. Not technically my first game, but the one I remember was beating Rick Pitino's #4-at-the-time Kentucky and experiencing a court storming from about the third row (was in the SSS so did not participate). I also think one of our players did a 360 dunk, maybe Adrian Autry?

A nice prelude to the Finals run two years later.

I remember when the games were played at the War Memorial. I never went to one, although I frequently bought $.50 tickets to get into Nats games. The first time I actually attended a game was the first appearance of Bing and Boeheim, as varsity members (freshmen were not eligible). I had just transferred in as a junior. As previously mentioned, Manley had a dirt floor. Also you could walk in and take almost any seat.

Born in 76. Sorta remember the Providence and Indiana games in 87. But the first game I really remember was the Rhode Island in the 88 tournament. I remember it being difficult to comprehend how it was all over...I felt awful. I was hooked.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Born in 76. Sorta remember the Providence and Indiana games in 87. But the first game I really remember was the Rhode Island in the 88 tournament. I remember it being difficult to comprehend how it was all over...I felt awful. I was hooked.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
I was devastated too. I think Earl Duncan missed the shot at the end to tie or win..I haven't said that name in a while!

I love this thread but I can only remember bits and pieces of Sherm playing. No specifics on the game, but I wish I did remember. Was too young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom