Fla St Gonzo | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fla St Gonzo

Guy?

I’ve never met a guy named Ashley. ;)
feae70ed2894ffc9066b878f353aecfc.jpg

Frankly Moontan, I don't give a damn.

FSU isn’t writing any checks as the buyout would nearly bankrupt the school. They only have about $700MM in their endowment. FSU isn’t going anywhere soon and most sane people know it. Soooo much can change in a 5 year span it isn’t funny.
What if they get PE to back them? This is very real.

Not trying to be negative, but that's a picture of the actor Leslie Howard. Clark Gable is the actor that had the line in " Gone with the wind".
Gable knew Moontan?

Just to bring the whole thing full circle, Burt Reynolds has been likened to a modern day Clark Gable and Reynolds played football for Florida State.

Last edited:
Seems like a bad play for private equity. How would that even work? Can't gain an ownership stake in a public university, over publicly held property, or the athletic department?
If FSU is about $40 million now in the ACC and they would be getting about $100 million in the B1G or SEC, that leaves a lot of "found" money to amortize debt.

Reactions: CIL
Gable knew Moontan?

Just to bring the whole thing full circle, Burt Reynolds has been likened to a modern day Clark Gable and Reynolds played football for Florida State.
And Moontan was with the Syracuse football team for a semester.

Penn State lowered the bar when the PA AG threatened to go after the NCAA over JoePa’s victories while protecting a pedophile.
Before that he protected a rapist in the 70's. Joe was not a very good person.

If FSU is about $40 million now in the ACC and they would be getting about $100 million in the B1G or SEC, that leaves a lot of "found" money to amortize debt.
You're math is a part of the problem. The B1G does not currently receive that much and you use low numbers for the ACC. Further, the B1G shares half of all gate revenue, meaning the conference is paying out monies that other conference schools don't share and receive separate from the conference payout.

Then there is the elephant in the room that no matter where FSU plays, their TV rights belong to the ACC and they owe the ACC several home game right annually. This is not as simple as internet blowhards make it sound.

You're math is a part of the problem. The B1G does not currently receive that much and you use low numbers for the ACC. Further, the B1G shares half of all gate revenue, meaning the conference is paying out monies that other conference schools don't share and receive separate from the conference payout.

Then there is the elephant in the room that no matter where FSU plays, their TV rights belong to the ACC and they owe the ACC several home game right annually. This is not as simple as internet blowhards make it sound.
If Syracuse had gone undefeated and not made the playoffs you wouldn't be so ignominious. It really puts the ACC in a second class position. If an outside group thinks they can make a huge return on their investment, there will be money available. The state of Florida may put money behind that as well as the FSU program is upwards of a billion dollar asset.

Reactions: CIL
Look at the attached statement from the Florida Attorney General (a UF grad!) with regard to that office's request for CFB Playoff Committee records. This may become quite interesting!

“My Office is launching an investigation to examine if the Committee was involved in any anticompetitive conduct. As it stands, the Committee’s decision reeks of partiality, so we are demanding answers—not only for FSU, but for all schools, teams and fans of college football. In Florida, merit matters. If it’s attention they were looking for, the Committee certainly has our attention now.”

The link also has this:

Attorney General Ashley Moody said, “I’m a lifelong Gator, but I’m also the Florida Attorney General, and I know injustice when I see it. No rational person or college football fan can look at this situation and not question the result. The NCAA, conferences, and the College Football Playoff Committee are subject to antitrust laws."

"You go, girl!"
Absolute nonsense for grandstanding politicians to insert themselves into this stuff. I wish voters were smarter and punished them for this crap instead of it helping them score political points.

If Syracuse had gone undefeated and not made the playoffs you wouldn't be so ignominious. It really puts the ACC in a second class position. If an outside group thinks they can make a huge return on their investment, there will be money available. The state of Florida may put money behind that as well as the FSU program is upwards of a billion dollar asset.

If an outside venture is getting a return, FSU will not have as much money to compete. All the other B18 programs will be spending $75M on their programs while FSU will have much less. In which case what is the point in leaving the ACC? Especially with the expanded playoff? The ACC Champ has an auto bid going forward.

feae70ed2894ffc9066b878f353aecfc.jpg

Frankly Moontan, I don't give a damn.
I knew, barely (he was in another high school fraternity and had gotten no bid from mine), a guy in my hometown whose first name was Ashley - his mother loved Gone with the Wind. His older sister was named Tara. Their mother? Melanie.

I am not exactly sure how your response ties in to my comments. But I will play anyway.

The B1G does pay more than the ACC, but not what you think. That is the short version of my comment.

To your point, the issue is that FSU cannot afford to leave. No conference will buy them out so they can leave early. Either the price will be too high or the ACC retains their TV rights. FSU owes the ACC many years, like it or not.

Using your estimation that FSU is a billion dollar asset is wild at best. If you are valuing football or the AD, then be clear about it. If you are referring to their annual budget, you are low, especially if you are looking at time (10+ years). That does not matter.

FSU's TV rights are locked up with the ACC and ESPN. It's not an easy break or it would have been done by now. Further, FSU does NOT have a landing spot. Sure, we can speculate they are talking behind the scenes but with our a reasonable mechanism by which they can leave the ACC on the cheap, it's all hot air.

No private financing will occur. That balloon was floated and ignored. It's illegal to mix for-profit with a non-profit in the present context. Besides, no team can guarantee performance in the future let alone on a new conference. Further, the trial balloon was for $100MM, that too, was laughed at and ignored otherwise.

Besides, no conference and no network wants to be the one to break a GOR as that will weaken their own GORs. Think it through, my fellow Orange fan. Cutting off one's now to spite one's face is never wise.

To your point about wanting a better place, who doesn't? Wanting things does not make things happen. Putin wants Ukraine, half of Europe, and more of Asia. It's not happening. China wants their weapons to work right. Still not happening. Even bigger, some on this board want Jennifer Anniston on their arm. Nope, never going to happen. (@#&$_@!). (O.K., I knew I never had a chance.)

Yes, the playoff committee made a #&@_@ move against the ACC AND fSU, who deserves a slot over Alabama. Life happens. Move on.

The FSU AD has toned down his blowhard ways since the summer, cooler heads at FSU prevailed.

Anyway, believe the internet blowhards all you want. When the GOR is short and FSU can work out a deal, we will see what happens. It is more likely that ESPN makes the ACC much more palatable to stay together. You see, ESPN cannot afford to lose the east coast to Fox or anyone else. They make money off the ACC. Selling off valuable money generating properties is what you do when you can either buy better properties(which ESPN cannot do) or you are going out of business (which ESPN is not doing).

I am not exactly sure how your response ties in to my comments. But I will play anyway.

The B1G does pay more than the ACC, but not what you think. That is the short version of my comment.

To your point, the issue is that FSU cannot afford to leave. No conference will buy them out so they can leave early. Either the price will be too high or the ACC retains their TV rights. FSU owes the ACC many years, like it or not.

Using your estimation that FSU is a billion dollar asset is wild at best. If you are valuing football or the AD, then be clear about it. If you are referring to their annual budget, you are low, especially if you are looking at time (10+ years). That does not matter.

FSU's TV rights are locked up with the ACC and ESPN. It's not an easy break or it would have been done by now. Further, FSU does NOT have a landing spot. Sure, we can speculate they are talking behind the scenes but with our a reasonable mechanism by which they can leave the ACC on the cheap, it's all hot air.

No private financing will occur. That balloon was floated and ignored. It's illegal to mix for-profit with a non-profit in the present context. Besides, no team can guarantee performance in the future let alone on a new conference. Further, the trial balloon was for $100MM, that too, was laughed at and ignored otherwise.

Besides, no conference and no network wants to be the one to break a GOR as that will weaken their own GORs. Think it through, my fellow Orange fan. Cutting off one's now to spite one's face is never wise.

To your point about wanting a better place, who doesn't? Wanting things does not make things happen. Putin wants Ukraine, half of Europe, and more of Asia. It's not happening. China wants their weapons to work right. Still not happening. Even bigger, some on this board want Jennifer Anniston on their arm. Nope, never going to happen. (@#&$_@!). (O.K., I knew I never had a chance.)

Yes, the playoff committee made a #&@_@ move against the ACC AND fSU, who deserves a slot over Alabama. Life happens. Move on.

The FSU AD has toned down his blowhard ways since the summer, cooler heads at FSU prevailed.

Anyway, believe the internet blowhards all you want. When the GOR is short and FSU can work out a deal, we will see what happens. It is more likely that ESPN makes the ACC much more palatable to stay together. You see, ESPN cannot afford to lose the east coast to Fox or anyone else. They make money off the ACC. Selling off valuable money generating properties is what you do when you can either buy better properties(which ESPN cannot do) or you are going out of business (which ESPN is not doing).

Agree with most of that. But why would the B18 and SEC care about killing GORs? They aren't losing schools so no threat.

The other thing I disagree with is Jenny. Why the arm?

Agree with most of that. But why would the B18 and SEC care about killing GORs? They aren't losing schools so no threat.

The other thing I disagree with is Jenny. Why the arm?
Long term. Things always change. The southern conference has 35? teams before the SEC and ACC were formed.

Plus, the networks don't want anyone breaking GORs as they are a primary beneficiary of the GORs.

Using your estimation that FSU is a billion dollar asset is wild at best
`An accounting firm a few years ago put a value on some of the bigger brands like OSUm Bama, Texas and those were at around a billion dollars as a franchise, so i think FSU is close to that. Syracuse isn't that far behind that amount either.
This part here is what makes people nervous. You know, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

`An accounting firm a few years ago put a value on some of the bigger brands like OSUm Bama, Texas and those were at around a billion dollars as a franchise, so i think FSU is close to that. Syracuse isn't that far behind that amount either.

This part here is what makes people nervous. You know, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

IMO FSU is not a Top 10 brand. Close, but just outside.

For FSU to get shafted going forward the committee would have to deem them the 7th best conference champ. There is nothing to worry about. The ACC Champ will be a Top 4 seed and get a bye.

IMO FSU is not a Top 10 brand. Close, but just outside.

For FSU to get shafted going forward the committee would have to deem them the 7th best conference champ. There is nothing to worry about. The ACC Champ will be a Top 4 seed and get a bye.
What if you're the no.2 or 3 team in the ACC? Do you get pushed back behind all the SEC and B1G runner ups? It's the precedent that's been set which is the problem.

What if you're the no.2 or 3 team in the ACC? Do you get pushed back behind all the SEC and B1G runner ups? It's the precedent that's been set which is the problem.

If you are the #2 team in the ACC and not in the Top 10 then you have nothing to complain about. The new playoff is unprecedented so no need to worry about the past.

If you are the #2 team in the ACC and not in the Top 10 then you have nothing to complain about. The new playoff is unprecedented so no need to worry about the past.
The byes only can go to conference winners correct? Obviously there’s one less conference and it was intended to be the top 4/5.

The byes only can go to conference winners correct? Obviously there’s one less conference and it was intended to be the top 4/5.

As of now, yes. If this were next season and FSU had lost to Louisville, they would have been the last team in instead of the first team out this year having won.

Correct. Only conference champions can get the byes. Notre Dame will top out in the 5 v. 12 game when they have a great season and that's perfectly OK w/them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom