Floyd Little has cancer | Syracusefan.com

Floyd Little has cancer

Please don't mis-interpret what I am gong to say here. I know Floyd well, and I seriously like him and his wife DeBorah. But I have to wonder why someone would think he needs a "GoFundMe" page. He had a very successful 9-year NFL career, doubtless has a good pension and is eligible for myriad NFL retiree health-related benefits .. Resources for Former Players Archives - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe He also has Medicare which is a truly excellent health insurance policy.

I thought "GoFundMe" pages were, for example, for destitute families who tragically lost a child for whom they could not afford medical care or funeral expenses. I have never heard of one for a famous, successful person.

In spite of that observation, all my thoughts and prayers are with Floyd and Deborah as they face this battle.

Last edited:
I wish him the best and hope he makes a full recovery. He always handled himself with class on and off the field. I met him at the Tropicana in Vegas a few years ago and he and his wife could not have been more pleasant and were very gracious with their time. He was very enthusiastic about Su’s football future and lit up when talking about his college football years at SU. He finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy race in both 1965 and 1966 and in my opinion should have been voted higher in both years( in 1965 he and Mike Garrett from USC did have similiar numbers - Garrett did have more yards but had over 75 more carries, while Floyd beat him out in yards per carry 5.5 to 5.4 and touchdowns , 14-13. However , there is no way Jim Grabowski or Donny Anderson should have finished ahead of him in 1965. In 1966, Floyd had numbers that were superior to rb Nick Eddy from Notre Dame( who finished 3rd), and there was no way at that point in time they he was gonna beat out Qb’s Spurrier, Griese or Beban for 1st, 2nd or 4th. A lot of people forget he was a 3 time All American at SU. Get well Floyd!

2020 just flat out sucks so far. I have unfortunately had many family members who have battled cancer, and I'll be praying for Floyd as he kicks cancer in the balls.

Last edited:
Cancer is suffering with Floyd Little, and he’s gonna kick it’s ass. :cool:

We’re all gonna celebrate when you do.

1590804985543.gif

A Floyd story. In 2011 I went to the Social Security Office in Cherry Hill, NJ to apply for my benefits. I got a number and took a seat. I was wearing my SU hat and a few minutes later, a guy asks if he can chat. He he tells he grew up in Philly and had a cousin who attended Bordontown Academy, where Floyd played.

His cousin called asnd urged him to come and see Floyd play that day. He went to the game and afterwards got to meet Floyd. He said "He was so nice to take so much time in talking to me." That's Floyd.

I have been waiting to tell Floyd this in person. Hopefully he reads the forum. Class guy, and by the way his speech at his induction to the Hall of Fame is priceless. Makes me proud to be an SU fan.

Last edited:
I always remeber the days when he first came to SU. At that time Freshman weren't allowed to play Varsity ball so the Freshman games used to be on at Manley on Sunday morning.I used to go up to Manley and watch the Freshman games and they used to call Floyd.."Not so Little".LOL. You could tell that he was going to be something Special. He will lick this thing , I just know he will. God Bless you Floyd.

Please don't mis-interpret what I am gong to say here. I know Floyd well, and I seriously like him and his wife DeBorah. But I have to wonder why someone would think he needs a "GoFundMe" page. He had a very successful 9-year NFL career, doubtless has a good pension and is eligible for myriad NFL retiree health-related benefits .. Resources for Former Players Archives - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe He also has Medicare which is a truly excellent health insurance policy.

I thought "GoFundMe" pages were, for example, for destitute families who tragically lost a child for whom they could not afford medical care or funeral expenses. I have never heard of one for a famous, successful person.

In spite of that observation, all my thoughts and prayers are with Floyd and Deborah as they face this battle.

I mean no judgement or disrespect here whatsoever but maybe he does need the money. This is from a September, 2018 piece in 9News on the financial and medical plight former players pre-1993 face:

<<“I’ve made more money in the eight years I’ve been in the Hall of Fame than I did as a Bronco,’’ said Little, who has drawn an income through appearances and signings that now include, “HOF” after his signature. Little, 76 and now living in Las Vegas, played for the Broncos for nine years from 1967-75. He made a $26,000 salary his first season, $28,000 in year two and $29,000 in year three. His top salary was $76,000 in his final season of 1975. More significantly, Little’s NFL pension pays him $2,600 a month.>>

Yes, Medicare is excellent health insurance. As a recipient myself I can attest to that. But without a Medigap plan to cover costs original medicare doesn't include, it can leave you with hefty bills for uncovered procedures, meds and necessary care, especially for cancer treatments.

Last edited:
Floyd is an amazing man. I talked to him on the phone by complete chance renting him a moving truck about 15 years ago to move his trophies and such.
We used to see all kinds of made up names like Mickey Mouse etc so made the call and thought it complete BS. Set up the rental and finally said "I'm sorry I have to ask are you THE Floyd Little?"... Short pause and a laugh and he said "yeah you may have heard of me, I used to play for the Broncos" me, long pause and only time I've been star struck in my life " yes sir I have... but I know you as a Syracuse legend and number 44"... And that man lit up. We chatted a bit and he said "keep my number, next time you're at Manley tell them Floyd sent you and I'll give you a tour.
I kept the number but my phone broke shortly after. After he kicks cancers *** I hope to still take my boys up and take him up on that offer if he still remembers. What a down to Earth, amazing man. Get well soon 44, the world needs more people like you in it.

I met him at one of Texas Mark’s tailgate in Tampa. He allowed everyone to take pic with him.nice guy. I hope he still has my pic.

I met Floyd at Fport Drum when the football team used to go there for camp. Such a nice, down to earth human being. Very gracious. He showed me his CFB HOF ring and his NFL HOF ring. They were huge on his hands. And he was very proud of them. A great guy and I feel very lucky to have met him.

Go Floyd! Kick Cancers As$!

Thats me on the left... :)

8FA72608-204A-4629-BB81-1E2E93CAD2BA.jpeg