Focus should be to resurrect recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Focus should be to resurrect recruiting

Caboose

Scout Team
I haven't posted in a while here. I am a frequent caller on local call-in radio shows. Many of you would probably recognize my on-air name if I said it here but I'm going to hold off. I just want to say that I am extremely worried about the state of the program going forward. Our recruiting has taken a severe downturn over these last few years. We aren't getting the recruits we are used to or what is needed to compete for a conference regular season or tourney title.

Look at the recruiting class we had a few years ago compared to Duke. I realize there are other teams out there, and we're not just recruiting against Duke. The thing is, they reload, but we can't seem to do that anymore. For example, they got Grayson Allen, Okafor, Winslow, Tyus Jones. We got Kaleb Joseph and Chris McCullough. Seriously? Guys from Jersey and NYC are not coming here with some occasional exceptions. I'm just saying that I'm extremely worried about where things are headed. Hopkins has me worried as well. I think that he could be used against us on the recruiting trail. Idk, maybe I'm rambling here. I'm a die hard fan. I've followed them to both recent Final Fours. I came into this season so excited and now look at us... couldn't even make the tourney. I'm unbelievably disappointed.

I haven't posted in a while here. I am a frequent caller on local call-in radio shows. Many of you would probably recognize my on-air name if I said it here but I'm going to hold off. I just want to say that I am extremely worried about the state of the program going forward. Our recruiting has taken a severe downturn over these last few years. We aren't getting the recruits we are used to or what is needed to compete for a conference regular season or tourney title.

Look at the recruiting class we had a few years ago compared to Duke. I realize there are other teams out there, and we're not just recruiting against Duke. The thing is, they reload, but we can't seem to do that anymore. For example, they got Grayson Allen, Okafor, Winslow, Tyus Jones. We got Kaleb Joseph and Chris McCullough. Seriously? Guys from Jersey and NYC are not coming here with some occasional exceptions. I'm just saying that I'm extremely worried about where things are headed. Hopkins has me worried as well. I think that he could be used against us on the recruiting trail. Idk, maybe I'm rambling here. I'm a die hard fan. I've followed them to both recent Final Fours. I came into this season so excited and now look at us... couldn't even make the tourney. I'm unbelievably disappointed.
Yep this is the difference between blind faith and faith

I'm worried, but I also don't want to overreact while we're dealing with NCAA penalties. Especially given that we managed a Final Four run with that going on, which should help to offset it by keeping us relevant. That said, the transition is critical and Hop better come out crushing it on the recruiting trail right away.

Not even filling out the scholarships really bothers me. It's kind of funny in an ironic sort of way that we have some of our recruits banned lower, and we couldnt even fill that lower number of scholarships. That is pathetic!

How could Hop be used against us? Really don't understand. I think JB carries more negatives for 16-17 year olds.
I mean if you're Jay Wright, Cal, Ollie, Sheshefsky, aren't you saying come to my school, Syracuse has an unproven rookie coach. We have the proven coaching here that can win and get you to the next level. Syracuse is experiencing a decline right now and who knows what their next coach will do, etc etc.

We all are and I couldn't agree more w/ this. Starts with recruiting like you said and then goes to coaching. We currently lack both. Recruiting is at an all time low

I mean if you're Jay Wright, Cal, Ollie, Sheshefsky, aren't you saying come to my school, Syracuse has an unproven rookie coach. We have the proven coaching here that can win and get you to the next level. Syracuse is experiencing a decline right now and who knows what their next coach will do, etc etc.

I can see this, there's been many times when I was in high level sales that even when the odds are against you and you're competing with bigger and better that you can come out ahead by selling yourself on top of selling everything else you have, and Hop does have a lot to sell with this program. Ignore everything, the crowd, the Melo center and all that stuff that really doesn't matter. We're in the ACC, we have history, our assistant now head coach has been on campus for 20+ years (longer than everybody you mentioned but K) and I think it's not as daunting as it seems.

An assistant spot is going to open up, get a west coast dude with big time AAU ties and if Autry or Mac go another direction grab one on the east coast.

We're playing the same game as every one else, we're just playing it wrong.

I'm upset with that recruit Boeheim banned because he drank and had a good time. Didnt he go to current title belt holder, Villanova? Big mistake by Boeheim or whomever banned him.

I can see this, there's been many times when I was in high level sales that even when the odds are against you and you're competing with bigger and better that you can come out ahead by selling yourself on top of selling everything else you have, and Hop does have a lot to sell with this program. Ignore everything, the crowd, the Melo center and all that stuff that really doesn't matter. We're in the ACC, we have history, our assistant now head coach has been on campus for 20+ years (longer than everybody you mentioned but K) and I think it's not as daunting as it seems.

An assistant spot is going to open up, get a west coast dude with big time AAU ties and if Autry or Mac go another direction grab one on the east coast.

I think when Hop takes over, Allen Griffin will be on staff.

I think when Hop takes over, Allen Griffin will be on staff.

We seem to like alumni, Jason Hart get an interview? Seems like a solid guy to grab too, west coast and all.

We seem to like alumni, Jason Hart get an interview? Seems like a solid guy to grab too, west coast and all.

I wish we could have gotten Stevie Thompson, a Crenshaw High graduate. He knows the hard streets of LA, like GNR, and Appetite For Destruction. If he has the same talent for grabbing players in his "junk points" style, I think that would be great.

Agree, have to hustle this summer and nail '18 class. There are plenty reasons now for coaches to be recruiting negatively against us. Not sure that aspect would be any worse than it is now. Hop definately needs to iterate his intentions and sell himself and the program. Kids like Moyer and whoever else might be around are going to play a big role in turning over. While I'm hesitant to have full confidence in Hop just yet, I'm extremely excited about seeing where it goes. The air in here has gotten a little stale. Hop always brings life.

Why west coast? That seems like a stretch. Wouldn't it be better to get a top guy from our more traditional recruiting areas to start with? Syracuse hasn't recruited west for decades so you have to feel like it will take time even for a connected guy to get any results there especially when selling a program with a new coach.

I'm still trying to get someone to respond about the kid who got banned for drinking, then went to national champion Villanova. Doesnt anyone else think getting him would have been helpful to the team?

I'm still trying to find out what Howard did.

Me too!!!! ...I dont believe in torture, however I would like to give an interrogation to the payside members who know, yet refuse to tell the people whom they dont consider cool enough. It feels a lot like high school antics.

How could Hop be used against us? Really don't understand. I think JB carries more negatives for 16-17 year olds.

Agreed. Who was it recently? Quinerly? Ennis told some PG prospect and the kid seemed encouraged by the fact that no more zone 100% is coming soon. How many others like him are out there? Methinks many.

Why west coast? That seems like a stretch. Wouldn't it be better to get a top guy from our more traditional recruiting areas to start with? Syracuse hasn't recruited west for decades so you have to feel like it will take time even for a connected guy to get any results there especially when selling a program with a new coach.

Why limit ourself to a small region? There is talent across the country, why cut ourselves off to all of it when our biggest rivals and peers are going cross country.

We're not a small time school, it's time to stop acting like one.

Are you the guy who calls into Axe's show that sounds like Emo Phillips?

I wish the football team would recruit another "Owens", who has an extremely coveted younger brother who plays hoops. Could it ever happen again?!?! Those teams also had a kid from the streets of LA too. There were mre "roads to the Cuse" back then vs now. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom