Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
morse_code.png

Welcome to Morse Code Day!

It’s Morse Code Day! Time to use a little Morse code. If all you know is . . . _ _ _ . . . (SOS), then today is the day to learn a bit more. In 1836, Samuel Morse, Joseph Henry, and Alfred Vail developed the telegraph, a system that sends electrical pulses along a wire over long distances.

To make full use of this invention, Morse and Vail slowly invented a special code of dots and dashes that could be easily translated into letters and numbers. Since then, Morse code has been used for all sorts of communications over the telegraph, through casual tapping in every spy movie, and by flashing lights on ships.

SU News

18447264-standard.jpg

Recruiting Roundup: SU in Dembele's Top 10, Taurean Plans Syracuse Visit for This Weekend (the juice; Cheng)

USA Today released a list of the top 10 journalism schools and Syracuse isnumber… 9? That can’t be right. On to today’s recruiting links:

2016 big man Cheickna Dembele has cut his list of schools to 10, reportsSyracuse.com’s Mike Waters. The list includes Syracuse, UNLV, Temple, Michigan State, Missouri, Maryland, St. Joseph’s, Iowa State, Baylor and Pittsburgh.

Fellow 2016 big man Taurean Thompson will take another unofficial visit to Syracuse this weekend, writes At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Ben Sigel. Among the schools pursuing him include Kansas, Connecticut, Seton Hall and Providence.

» Related: Syracuse offers 2018 big man Simi Shittu, 2017 guard Ethan Thompson

Jordan Tucker took a visit to Indiana earlier in the week, and enjoyed his visit, writesSNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria. Syracuse and St. John’s are among the other schools pursuing the 2017 wing. He will take a visit to Syracuse this weekend.

20214410-mmmain.jpg

Eric Devendorf Leads New Zealand in Scoring/Paul Harris is Second in Rebounding in Turkey (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse star Eric Devendorf spent last year recovering from back surgery and earning his degree from SU. He hasn't lost a step.

Devendorf is currently leading the seven-team National Basketball League of New Zealand with 27.3 points per game. His team has played 11 of its 18 regular-season games.

"Feels good to get back to playing professionally," Devendorf said via text message. "I feel I have been doing well out here. I don't really feel I have anything to prove, just showing people I am healthy coming off the back injury. It has been fun to play and play with people I am familiar with. I am enjoying my time here best I can."

Devendorf is shooting 53.2 percent from the field and making 48.7 percent of his 3-pointers. His Super City Rangers team currently sits in fourth-place with a record of 6-5. He's leading teammate and local player Corey Webster by .6 points per game.

Devendorf is one of at least 12 Syracuse players playing internationally this season. The list includes a player currently competing in Europe's most prestigious event, two others that lead their teams in scoring and one playing in a league championship series. It also includes Fab Melo.

The stats used are from the international basketball website Euro Basket. Since there's no set database for international basketball it's possible I may have missed a player. If I did, please let me know and I can add them to the next update.

Other

20215215-mmmain.jpg

WWE Pays Tribute to Chyna; Rochester Native's Brain Donated for CTE Research (PS; Herbert)

The WWE paid tribute to the late Chyna on "RAW" Monday night.

The female wrestler, a Rochester native whose real name was Joanie Laurer, was found dead in her California home last week. She was 45.

A video memorial during "RAW" chronicled some of Chyna's biggest moments, including winning the WWF Women's Championship at WrestleMania X-Seven, and words of mourning from her peers. The tall, muscular "9th Wonder of the World" was also part of Triple H's wrestling team D-Generation X, and she became the first woman to enter a Royal Rumble.

A cause of death has not be named, but initial reports suggested a possible overdose could be to blame. Laurer had a history of drug abuse, chronicling her struggles with addiction on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" in 2008.

Her manager, Anthony Anzaldo, recently said he was setting up an appearance for her on the reality TV show "Intervention." Anzaldo told TMZ she was addicted to sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, and already had arranged for a treatment facility and a meeting with former wrestling friends like Mick Foley and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

8. Best At Exceeding NCAA Tournament Projections: Jim Boeheim, Syracuse

Boeheim’s Orange were a No. 10 seed that may not have even deserved an at-large bid; analytics aren’t necessary to prove they were the most surprising team in the Final Four. But according to kenpom’s NCAA tournament log5 probabilities, Syracuse opened the tourney with just a 1.5% chance to make it to Houston—a far more unlikely scenario than the chance of Villanova winning it all (7.3%) or No. 15 Middle Tennessee State upsetting No. 2 Michigan State in the first round (7.8%). The Blue Raiders’ shocker certainly made Syracuse’s path to the Final Four easier, but it still had to get through Gonzaga and Virginia, and in the Elite Eight game against the Cavaliers, the Orange’s win probability odds had dropped to 2% with just under 10 minutes left in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom